Veloster Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
process of elimination my friend. Throw it on when you are completely satisfied that your car is running perfectly as stock. After putting the BOV on and your car performs flawlessly, try the intake again. See where I'm going with this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
process of elimination my friend. Throw it on when you are completely satisfied that your car is running perfectly as stock. After putting the BOV on and your car performs flawlessly, try the intake again. See where I'm going with this?
yes yes I do see ahah. Good thinking.
If it happens again do you think it could ruin my engine?

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Well, lets hope not. At least service is aware of your problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, lets hope not. At least service is aware of your problem
Okay well thank you so much for everything, i WILL keep you updated so look forward to hearing from me! One more quick question! Should I buy a new filter? Is there anything I should do involving my air filter? And when should I put the bov on? (I guess more then one question ahah) :)

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
I'd go a bigger filter. The one you got looks like one you'd see on a NAV. Turbo's suck a lot of air. Make sure your inner pipe ends at the hose clamp and not stuffed inside the filter.

Question 2 already answered:
Throw it on when you are completely satisfied that your car is running perfectly as stock. After putting the BOV on and your car performs flawlessly, try the intake again.

·
weekend racer
6,734 Posts
FWIW the turbo and NAV do share the same stock air filter :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually have an extremely similar problem to this with my '14 vt. Was running perfectly fine until i floored it and instantly check engine and misfiring like crazy. Replaced the spark plugs and coils on misfiring cylinder but then it misfired again on the others once the car hit 60mph. Replaced all the coils and cylinders and then it still misfired, had the O2 sensor removed, ran fine, put it back in and ran fine. After about a week and a half its misfiring again at anything above 3000 RPM. Have a custom exhaust and k&n filter installed. My mechanic and I are stumped.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Okay...

1: Nice hot air intake. The stock intake has a cold-air pickup. Yes, I know, intercooler should cancel it out, but where the filter is, it's pulling in the absolutely toasty underhood air. Assuming you're using a BT or Wifi reader and the Torque app, Check the Intake Air Temperature and compare with both the air filter and the stock intake on long drives, to rule out hot air being a problem. Compare against the ambient temperature.
2: GDI engine. The car will backfire and knock more as it gets older due to carbon buildup, especially when the engine is cold, and when you're hooning around more. It's absolutely vital to get the intake valves cleaned every so often (buildup happens as early as 12,000 miles). Money, yes, but reliability.
3: I run 93 to stop the engine knock, and I have a nonturbo. The turbo will see a bigger difference in running 93 in terms of lowering engine knock (the point of higher octane is to reduce engine knock when it's happening)
4: Since this is the 2013 model, the conrods aren't really strong on the engine. Adding any power is a huge gamble on reliability, as even stock the engines were failing from stress. Unless you save up and get the engine rebuilt with the newer internals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'd go a bigger filter. The one you got looks like one you'd see on a NAV. Turbo's suck a lot of air. Make sure your inner pipe ends at the hose clamp and not stuffed inside the filter.

Question 2 already answered:
Hey so I’ve had the blow off valve on for about 5 days and the car is still running perfect I went to the place where I got my parts (TooFast) and I tried to buy a bigger filter and they literally told me I didn’t need one and they were gonna sell me another filter. They said if all the spark plugs were changed it should be okayy and promised me that putting my air filter on wouldn’t cause an issue. So should I put it on? I think I might take the bottom of the air box out so it can maybe suck up more air. I also tightened all the claps going into and out of my air intake. A few were loose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey so I’ve had the blow off valve on for about 5 days and the car is still running perfect I went to the place where I got my parts (TooFast) and I tried to buy a bigger filter and they literally told me I didn’t need one and they were gonna sell me another filter. They said if all the spark plugs were changed it should be okayy and promised me that putting my air filter on wouldn’t cause an issue. So should I put it on? I think I might take the bottom of the air box out so it can maybe suck up more air. I also tightened all the claps going into and out of my air intake. A few were loose.
Weren’t gonna sell me another filter* I know them personally and they treat me well.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Lets first put the BOV on using just the STOCK filter. Drive it around for a week or so, see how the car reacts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lets first put the BOV on using just the STOCK filter. Drive it around for a week or so, see how the car reacts
I have theblow off valve on with the stock air filter and it’s been driving really good. And I put it
I actually have an extremely similar problem to this with my '14 vt. Was running perfectly fine until i floored it and instantly check engine and misfiring like crazy. Replaced the spark plugs and coils on misfiring cylinder but then it misfired again on the others once the car hit 60mph. Replaced all the coils and cylinders and then it still misfired, had the O2 sensor removed, ran fine, put it back in and ran fine. After about a week and a half its misfiring again at anything above 3000 RPM. Have a custom exhaust and k&n filter installed. My mechanic and I are stumped.
Yeah man no idea

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sorry didn’t mean to send the last message.
What I meant to say was I’ve had the blow off valve on for awhile and it’s been running very well. Could it be what blaster said about the hot air?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
T
Sorry didn’t mean to send the last message.
What I meant to say was I’ve had the blow off valve on for awhile and it’s been running very well. Could it be what blaster said about the hot air?
his would be the perfect time for me to put the air filter on so that if anything happens I have this weekend to bring it in and I won’t miss any work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Okay...

1: Nice hot air intake. The stock intake has a cold-air pickup. Yes, I know, intercooler should cancel it out, but where the filter is, it's pulling in the absolutely toasty underhood air. Assuming you're using a BT or Wifi reader and the Torque app, Check the Intake Air Temperature and compare with both the air filter and the stock intake on long drives, to rule out hot air being a problem. Compare against the ambient temperature.
2: GDI engine. The car will backfire and knock more as it gets older due to carbon buildup, especially when the engine is cold, and when you're hooning around more. It's absolutely vital to get the intake valves cleaned every so often (buildup happens as early as 12,000 miles). Money, yes, but reliability.
3: I run 93 to stop the engine knock, and I have a nonturbo. The turbo will see a bigger difference in running 93 in terms of lowering engine knock (the point of higher octane is to reduce engine knock when it's happening)
4: Since this is the 2013 model, the conrods aren't really strong on the engine. Adding any power is a huge gamble on reliability, as even stock the engines were failing from stress. Unless you save up and get the engine rebuilt with the newer internals.
The hot intake thing makes sense, what can I do to fix that? Also I’ve been putting 91 in it and i don’t know too much about the intake valves

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Yeah, Pop that air filter on then. You're in Canada, and I figure the temps have got to be pretty cold there now. When I had my intake on, I was driving it around here in 108 degree temps without problems.

I do have to tell you, the intake Hyundai designed is really a good design. It pulls cold air from the front, it has a bypass in case you get into deep water and opens up another air source in the air box.
Grant it, you won't get that "Darth Vader" sound, but that gets old real quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Okay...

The hot intake thing makes sense, what can I do to fix that? Also I’ve been putting 91 in it and i don’t know too much about the intake valves
Yeah, Pop that air filter on then. You're in Canada, and I figure the temps have got to be pretty cold there now. When I had my intake on, I was driving it around here in 108 degree temps without problems.

I do have to tell you, the intake Hyundai designed is really a good design. It pulls cold air from the front, it has a bypass in case you get into deep water and opens up another air source in the air box.
Grant it, you won't get that "Darth Vader" sound, but that gets old real quick.
Okay and may I quickly ask because people won’t stop bugging me about telling me I need a tune, can i or can I not put this filter in without a tune? Like people are telling me I straight up can’t. And it’s really hard because I believe you and YOUVE DONE IT so I’ll take your advice over anyone’s at this point. But do you think it’ll be a good idea? Or should I wait and save up alittle extra money and get a tune? Honest opinion, and in no way am I challenging what u said, more like just trying to get some weight off my back. Like i have people legit telling me I DO NOT need a tune for that. And people telling me I’m stupid if I put it in again without a tune. And of course I want to prove them wrong. Can I get everyone to agree on what the right thing to do is? Do I put this on? Or be depressed for a few months and get a tune. All seriousness. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Generally what people do is put on their bolt-ons and get a tune. I had my bolt-ons on including intercooler and catback way before the tune and the car ran great, but that was me. your mileage may vary.

Your ECU adjusts itself, and will adjust the airflow accordingly, so yes the people you are talking to are partially right, because the ECU's stock parameters. Tuning changes those parameters best suited to your car and bolt-ons. Only get a custom tune. Canned tunes may be good for one car, but not for another because all engines are different and "live" in different climates and altitudes.

Now with that said, If you are using me as an example, make sure you read this and understand it clearly:
I knew I had weak internals, I pushed my car way beyond its limits with a tune and bolt-ons. I flirted with the devil and lost but in the back of my mind knew I would. I had plan B. I know Hyundai wouldn't warranty my car. They saw what I had when I took it in for blown speakers a year before and made note of it. When my engine blew (it was sad and ugly) I had it towed to my mechanic friend, We put in a 14 engine with identical mileage, Pulled out the tuned ECU, Put all the stock parts back on the car. The car is running great today. but it cost me 3000+, and that was really cheap. I had the extra money to throw at the car plus I also have 3 other vehicles I could drive while the Veloster was down.
I miss the pssh of the BOV letting loose, but can get that back with the stock BOV by letting my hose vent. I don't miss the intake, it got annoying. Would I do it again? Probably, because I never had a turbo'd car. Would I suggest others to do it to a 13 engine? No, unless they completely understand what can of worms they are opening.

Do you have this amount of cash at your disposal? Is this your only source of transportation? Love flirting with the devil?
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts