Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ
Okay hello everyone, I have a big problem here! I’m only 18 years old and i recently just bought my new car! (New for me) I did it all on my own without any help from anyone and I’m really nervous about this happening since my warranty ends In a few days (bought, September 14th 2019) (warranty ends, October 20th 2019) so what I have done to it and I had it done by mechanics in a shop was my forged bov and just my cone air filter and a res delete.

also I got the cone and bov as a birthday gift from my girlfriend and it would be such a shame if I could no longer use them

So I was just driving with my pal and I did a pull from a stop sign with very minimal tire slip basically a pull from 10-70 and BOOOM my engine hard started misfiring and engine light started blinking
immediately I hooked it up to a scanner and it read P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire detected) and P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and p0304 which u can guess! is my 4th cylinder misfiring. I took my bov and cone off and returned it to stock so I could bring it into the place I got it without voiding warranty and they could fix the issue.

next day the issue was fixed, I immediately took my car home to put everything back on (bov and cone) and took it for a rip with my buddies again. car worked fine! I parked it for maybe 5 hours washed it cleaned the inside and got it all ready for the car show I was going to that night. I let the car warm up and I get in, I head over to the car show that’s about 40mins away and I drove fine the whole time, then... a civic si started riding my ass. And I really tried not to give into temptation but since my car lovessss gapping si’s I just couldn’t resist. Then we hit a red light, So I did what I do best and absolutely gapped this guy at green and then BOOOM MISFIRE this time bad, my passenger seat was shaking that’s how bad it was. And the car show was down the street so I had to turn around a take it home going 80kmh the whole way with hazards on ?.

now it’s been in the shop for 2 days and I’m on my way to pick it up now, I am very nervous on if I should put my parts back on or what I should do.

also the first time they fixed it was just 2 spark plugs and one coil and now this time was all the spark plugs and coils.

QUESTIONS I NEED ANSWERED please
  • will the parts I have effect this? Or have something to do with it?
  • what is causing this misfire?
  • can it damage my engine that I drove it home for 40mins while misfiring?
  • should I be putting in different fuel? (regular 87 fuel like it says to put in)
  • do I need a tune for these parts?
  • how long should I wait before putting the parts back on?
  • how can I avoid this ever happening again.
  • will changing the spark plugs and coils prevent this from happening again? Or is it just prolonging the problem?
READ BEFORE DIAGNOSING, I always let my car warm up to 4 or 5 bars, I always let it cool down minimum 5mins, i put 87 fuel ( like it says ) in it, I DO NOT beat this car at all, its new and Im just so proud of myself that I worked my ass off and got a nice car! So I’m enjoying it. I had my bov on a week or two before my air filter cone and the problem occurred 2 days after my cone was put on. (Also standard trans) idk if that helps. but please help me. I want my parts back on and everything working fine like before!

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
What BOV did you get and what is your boost pressure?
No need to warm the car up to 4 or 5 bars, just start it up and go, but go easy until warmed up. Idling cold a GDI just throws carbon in your cats. The turbo is oil cooled so it is fine to shut off the engine when reaching you destination.
If you read the owners manual, Hyundai states the the fuel to be unleaded and have an octane of 87 OR HIGHER.
THEY DO NOT RECOMMEND using 87 exclusively. If you live in a higher altitude area, or you have a few miles on the car, you should be using a higher octane. USE TOP TIER GAS like Shell or Chevron.

My recommendation to you is run it stock, keep your service records and let them know you want this problem fixed completely under their warranty, even after the expired time. When you get the car back, do a couple of STOCK pulls like you did with your mods to see if the problems reoccur. If they don't, leave the BOV off. It might be causing you problems.

What year is your car? (Please don't tell me a 13)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What BOV did you get and what is your boost pressure?
No need to warm the car up to 4 or 5 bars, just start it up and go, but go easy until warmed up. Idling cold a GDI just throws carbon in your cats. The turbo is oil cooled so it is fine to shut off the engine when reaching you destination.
If you read the owners manual, Hyundai states the the fuel to be unleaded and have an octane of 87 OR HIGHER.
THEY DO NOT RECOMMEND using 87 exclusively. If you live in a higher altitude area, or you have a few miles on the car, you should be using a higher octane. USE TOP TIER GAS like Shell or Chevron.

My recommendation to you is run it stock, keep your service records and let them know you want this problem fixed completely under their warranty, even after the expired time. When you get the car back, do a couple of STOCK pulls like you did with your mods to see if the problems reoccur. If they don't, leave the BOV off. It might be causing you problems.

What year is your car? (Please don't tell me a 13)
my bov is a forged bov it was a good one! It costed about 260-290.
Thanks a lot for the cool down and warm up makes sense and makes my life easier.
Okay so about the fuel I’m going to fill up tonight should I put 89 or 91?
I did pick it up last night and I pulled it stock and gave it a good break in and it works fine but it was only one night getting to work this morning was fine so I’m just crossing my fingers. The place did tell me that they will fix the issue if it occurs again after my warranty so that’s good. It’s just I really wanted my parts on as they were gifts and very expensive :( and worst of all yes it’s a 13... what’s up with the 13s?
Also I had my bov on for 2 weeks before anything happened then once I put my air intake on it happened, I trust your opinion a lot I’m just curious on why it hasn’t happened before, could you tell me why not to use my bov? Like what should I do? I will continue to ride it stock for a week or two. But I really want my parts on for my birthday which is in a few weeks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think it was just a coincidence that it happened 2 days after my air intake was put on? I’m so lost

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Have you checked to see if your car was included in the recall for the ECU tune? Most 13 VT's were. Your intake shouldn't cause too many issues but I might suggest if you do run it, Let the ECU get accustomed to the difference in the AFR. a good 100 miles should do the trick.

I do want to let you know from experience, These cars are "Sporty hatchbacks" and unfortunately you (and I) have the dreaded 13. Your internals are weak. Even in stock condition without the recall done (and some even with) if you push your car hard, IT WILL FAIL BADLY. So, If you love your little sporty hatchback, Enjoy the looks and the features it has, and cruise it. Because putting in a new engine on your dime is not fun at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked to see if your car was included in the recall for the ECU tune? Most 13 VT's were. Your intake shouldn't cause too many issues but I might suggest if you do run it, Let the ECU get accustomed to the difference in the AFR. a good 100 miles should do the trick.

I do want to let you know from experience, These cars are "Sporty hatchbacks" and unfortunately you (and I) have the dreaded 13. Your internals are weak. Even in stock condition without the recall done (and some even with) if you push your car hard, IT WILL FAIL BADLY. So, If you love your little sporty hatchback, Enjoy the looks and the features it has, and cruise it. Because putting in a new engine on your dime is not fun at all.
um how would I be able to check for the recall? And sorry I don’t know what a afr is and how to let it get accustomed, and i appreciate the help sooo much and thank you for the great advice. And what should be my next move?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

um how would I be able to check for the recall? And sorry I don’t know what a afr is and how to let it get accustomed, and i appreciate the help sooo much and thank you for the great advice. And what should be my next move?
Also could it have something to do with my air flow sensor thing? Like no being able to pick up the extra air flow?

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Air Fuel Ratio, with a intake, the ECU need to make minor adjustments for the increased or lack of air

Put your VIN in here

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
They might have had the recall done.
I would check the service history through carfax to see if it had been done. Are you in Canada? Have you talked to your service about putting on a intake and a BOV?

Another question, is this the BOV that fits in place of the stock BOV where you have to cut a hole on the top of your radiator cover? What is your primary reason you want that BOV?

Here is the link yo the service campaign

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They might have had the recall done.
I would check the service history through carfax to see if it had been done. Are you in Canada? Have you talked to your service about putting on a intake and a BOV?

Another question, is this the BOV that fits in place of the stock BOV where you have to cut a hole on the top of your radiator cover? What is your primary reason you want that BOV?

Here is the link yo the service campaign
yes I am in Canada, Ontario. And my car fax did have a few recalls on it but I wasn’t sure for what here was the car fax

^
Also I have talked about the air intake and the service guy said it shouldn’t be a problem. I never mentioned the blow off valve because I was worried they would know I put those part on since there is a blue tube left over when I put my stock bov on from the aftermarket one.

That is the bov I own with the air filter
And this is the bov up close

Also it does get hidden but this black cover in the next picture. The bov is on and so is the filter but the black cover where the hatch for the hood is is covering it.

If that answers your question about having to cut the hole, I don’t it fits underneath.
Also even the place I got it put on “TooFast auto shop” said it wouldn’t make a different at all just noises. It came with 3 springs and he guy told me “put the blue sping in if you end up tuning it” but I have no clue which colour they have in it. The ones left are a yellow and blue one. The other colour spring is put in the bov.
also I really want this bov because it was a gift and very expensive and I can’t just give it back :( on the box of the bov it says it’s for a Hyundai Genisus. But they told me it was for my car, and it fits perfectly so if figured theywere right.I also love the sound of it and I already showed it off to everyone so having it off now is just kinda upsetting. It’s now been 3 days since I got it and it’s still running really good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes I am in Canada, Ontario. And my car fax did have a few recalls on it but I wasn’t sure for what here was the car fax
View attachment 132068
^
Also I have talked about the air intake and the service guy said it shouldn’t be a problem. I never mentioned the blow off valve because I was worried they would know I put those part on since there is a blue tube left over when I put my stock bov on from the aftermarket one.
View attachment 132069
That is the bov I own with the air filter
And this is the bov up close
View attachment 132070
Also it does get hidden but this black cover in the next picture. The bov is on and so is the filter but the black cover where the hatch for the hood is is covering it. View attachment 132071
If that answers your question about having to cut the hole, I don’t it fits underneath.
Also even the place I got it put on “TooFast auto shop” said it wouldn’t make a different at all just noises. It came with 3 springs and he guy told me “put the blue sping in if you end up tuning it” but I have no clue which colour they have in it. The ones left are a yellow and blue one. The other colour spring is put in the bov.
also I really want this bov because it was a gift and very expensive and I can’t just give it back :( on the box of the bov it says it’s for a Hyundai Genisus. But they told me it was for my car, and it fits perfectly so if figured theywere right.I also love the sound of it and I already showed it off to everyone so having it off now is just kinda upsetting. It’s now been 3 days since I got it and it’s still running really good.
It’s still stock by the way.

·
weekend racer
7,679 Posts
That BOV will work fine for you. I really doubt your parts are causing your misfire...

Reactions: nvyseal

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Ya know, I had a air filter just like that one. When I went to get my tune, Sam ripped it off and told me I wasn't getting enough air, to buy a bigger filter. I ended up getting one twice the size.

Another problem I found was with the little filter, I had to put in an inner pipe to connect to the stock intake hose and air filter, and the inner pipe slipped up into the air filter and restricted the air flow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That BOV will work fine for you. I really doubt your parts are causing your misfire...
so what do you think I should do? I was thinking wait a week and then just put my filter in. No blow off valve and see what happens? Like idk what to do...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya know, I had a air filter just like that one. When I went to get my tune, Sam ripped it off and told me I wasn't getting enough air, to buy a bigger filter. I ended up getting one twice the size.

Another problem I found was with the little filter, I had to put in an inner pipe to connect to the stock intake hose and air filter, and the inner pipe slipped up into the air filter and restricted the air flow.
Fuck eh... that could be it. I do have an inner pipe but it looks like it’s in just right. And it’s not that small it’s a 3inch if I’m not mistaken. Also the bottom half of the air box is still there and the filter is sitting right over/in it. Could that be it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuck eh... that could be it. I do have an inner pipe but it looks like it’s in just right. And it’s not that small it’s a 3inch if I’m not mistaken. Also the bottom half of the air box is still there and the filter is sitting right over/in it. Could that be it?
Everytime the misfire happened it was from a low gear maybe not enough air was getting pushed into it because I was moving fairly slow?

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
Try running your BOV with the stock airbox, see how that goes

1 - 20 of 39 Posts