Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 model with about 32k miles. So far the dealership has been unhelpful on this issue, they did replace the vacuum seal but the problem persists. When I am accelerating around 2-3k RPM I hear a whistling/squealing sound. I have been thinking it was the drive belt but I replaced it and the problem is still there. It's possible something is not installed correctly anymore. Last year I messed up the PCV hose trying to install a catch can (don't ask) and took it to a mechanic to replace the hose. I didn't realize how involved it would be, they had to remove the intake manifold and the throttle body from that. The vacuum seal I mentioned was replaced after this fiasco. It seems to run fun and has been for a year. I am just annoyed by this squealing and concerned that it is a bigger issue now that I know it's not the drive belt.

If anybody knows how to diagnose this myself or what to tell the dealer to look for. It sounds like it might be the BOV leaking boost from what I've read so far? It did not squeal/whistle before the events I mentioned.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Without hearing it, hard to tell. Might upload a video. Not sure what vacuum seal, term does not sound right, but could be a BOV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get a recording of it. It is sporadic and it does seem to happen less often as the engine bay heats up, although I always try to be gentle with the acceleration when the car is cold. I had to look back, it was the vacuum pump seal that they replaced, apparently there was a TSB out about it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When I am accelerating around 2-3k RPM I hear a whistling/squealing sound.
So to start, I assume you're at WOT.
That's pretty low rpms actually, and you don't indicate whether or not it is a Turbo.

I think you probably can hear that noise at all times, and my suggestion would be to:

Get a length of garden hose, 2-3 feet, and use it as a stethoscope to listen all over and around the engine compartment, shoving it in every nook and cranny listening for the sound of a vacuum leak, you will be amazed at how well this works to locate even the least distinct sounds.

Don't just discount this out of hand. This really works a hundred times better that one of those contraptions you can buy at the parts store. Believe you, me.

·
weekend racer
6,832 Posts
He posted in the turbo forum... so hopefully it's a turbo :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it is a turbo with DCT if that matters. I had posted a link originally but it wouldn't let me on my first post, so I forgot to add more info.

Thank you for the suggestion with the hose, that may work. The sound actually was not loud enough to pick up on my phone's microphone. I'll have to try a real microphone. It is not a loud sound. It's a very high pitched sound, some people probably wouldn't be able to hear it.

I am not WOT when it happens, maybe 50% throttle, if that. If I go WOT, I can't hear it but that may be due to engine noise. I also can't hear it if I lazily accelerate. It's that middle ground in between. Before the vacuum pump seal was done, I did have mpg and acceleration issues, but it seemed to be fixed by that.

Mainly, I just want things to be right, I want this car to be reliable for me, I'm wondering if I should not have bought a turbo car. I just wanted a fun car for a change, my last car was a 4 cylinder Sonata.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would think first off that it has something to do with the OCC fiasco.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why the throttle body and intake manifold had to be removed to fix anything remotely connected with an OCC install screw up.

But, that is exactly where you would be getting those kind of vacuum/pressure sounds you report.

So, that is where I would start and concentrate my effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically what happened was, the company I bought the OCC from sent me the wrong size hose coupler on accident and I messed up the end of the PCV hose trying to make it work (because I thought surely it was supposed to fit). I bought a new OEM hose and took it to a shop to have them install it, if I knew they were going to take the front of the engine apart, I would have rather bit the bullet and went to the dealership. At least I got a refund on the OCC, I decided to just let it be what it will be. Obviously I am concerned about voiding the warranty. I only knew how much of it they took apart because I went and looked at what they were doing. They had the intake manifold off, the throttle body disconnected from the intake manifold and one of the radiator hoses removed by the cap. I wasn't very happy but what can you do when it's already disassembled?

It's been squealing/whistling ever since. The dealership replaced the vacuum pump seal soon after and I've been thinking they got antifreeze on the drive belt and that was the noise, now that I have a new drive belt. I know that isn't the case.

·
weekend racer
6,832 Posts
its certainly possibly you have loose charge pipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your responses so far, I did manage to get a recording. I had to use a portable audio recorder so there is no video. What you're hearing is me accelerating between 2-3k RPM, then letting off, you can hear the sound only happens at the begenning of the accelleration and like I said, at WOT, I can't hear it. You may need to wear headphones to hear it well, it's pretty high pitched. This was from inside the cabin, with me holding the recorder near the steering wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Listening around under the hood as RIcky-D suggested, it seems clear the noise is coming from the alternator, I hear it most loudly when I listen to the right side of it (away from the pulley/belt). I'm going to see what the dealer says next week. I'm probably also going to have the inspect all the hoses for the intercooler & throttle body just for extra peace of mind. I'm not sure if they have been doing this during oil changes (I'm guessing not).

How does this connection look on the throttle body? It's looking kind of messed up to me but maybe it's ok.

·
Registered
521 Posts
you need a new hose bud, don't skimp out on this.

·
weekend racer
6,832 Posts
it could be the factory clamp with the plastic nubs taken off. if there is a spring built in underneath it is def factory... also that hose has been "modified" to remove the rubber pieces that hold the clamp on.

that cold pipe has been off. the notch should line up with the block on the throttlebody. white on hose is where the clamp gear should land.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts