Veloster Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Registered
2013 VT ultimate white, 6spd
I'm not really sure it's all voltage can you change the reading units? It looks like the sensor is supposed to read .8 ma and yours is low at .4xx. Other than that it really is not telling me much I world need a diagnostic book so I could figure what the voltage per sensor means.

Registered
2012 Hyundai Veloster 1.6
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well I sent the readings to a pro mechanic mate of mine and he said that all shows the car is running super rich and he suspects that it's sucking in air somewhere it shouldn't be. He suggested either PCV valve (I've already done that) , purge valve or possible the valve cover gasket 馃

Registered
Ok sounds good 馃憤. That's usually a little harder to find. You could try a engine stethoscope and listen for air rushing in at different places on the engine. I'm guessing nothing obvious or your mechanic friend would have caught it immediately.

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
Spraying carb cleaner in those areas you suspect there is a leak while the car is idling is a good way to find it. The car will drop idle from the cleaner getting sucked into the air leak and bog. 馃憤

Registered
That sounds like it would work. I was thinking maybe pressurize engine via the oil cap, and soapy water around the valve cover. Then again you could just take the valve cover off and inspect the gasket (one of the few places there actually is a gasket) for signs of wear. Seriously there are a total of 4 gaskets on the whole engine that I can think of right off hand. Well the turbo block anyways has about 4.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just an update on the situation. I did try the carb cleaner idea to search for air leaks but didn't find anything. I currently have new Map and O2 sensors sat on the side at home but being in good old England the weather is too shite to fit them at the minute. But the time I finish work (4pm) it's too dark and the mornings are too cold so I've not managed to fit them.
On the plus side since the temperature has dropped here the car seems to be running perfectly 馃 still a little lumpy at idle but starts and stays on everytime. The EML hasn't come back on for over a week now either.
The only thing I can attribute it to is the fact a drove around 60 miles in 1 go down the motorway last week so the car had a good 45mins at a decent constant speed 馃槒 so maybe thats cleared out some of the crap and possibly reset the long term fuel trims to something less rich?

Other than that I can only think that the cold air is denser and thus counter acting the effects of the rich running engine 馃し鈥嶁檪锔
Either way it's working well atm 馃コ
Goes into the shop next Monday to get the wheels powdercoated and some new tyres on so that will be an all round improvement too

Registered
Good to hear things seems to be working out 馃憤. Uh it's dark at 4pm? Guess living so far south has some advantages. Gets dark here about 6p now, then again I suppose you get longer days than us in the summer.
Diving the car definitely help with the drive computer to try and sort things out. Unrelated maybe, I was getting a fault code for cam position. I pulled the sensor looked at it put it back in cleared the code and restarted. Never got that CEL/EML again. Don't know why I got it the first time馃. It was right after pulling the engine and dropping it back in the car. Nothing too crazy. Don't have any idea what set it off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hey guys it's been a while but today I finally got around to putting the replacement o2 sensor in. Obviously to early to tell what kind of difference its going to make to overall running of the csr but I've Instantly noticed a huge Improvement to MPG so thats a result is nothing else.
The old one thst came out was solid black with carbon so I. Guessing it wasn't operating properly at all, I've Included a photo of it below.

Now it just remains to find the cause of that sensor getting to that condition. I'm willing to bet it's got something to do with the oil issues I'm having.
I'm going to wait another few months until we have any kind of reasonable motorcycling weather then I'll start pulling the engine apart to see what's going on

Attachments

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
Catch can may solve some of that soot and carbon issue.
Good to see it running well now. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well my issues are still happening 馃檲
I was hoping the o2 sensor was going to correct some of the problems but all it seems to have done is minorly improve my MPG. Only a week after putting the new sensor on and I've had the EML twice. Still running rich at idle 馃様 and my stsrt up issues are getting worse again!

The car starts on the button everytime, revs up to 1300rpms then as it starts to the fall the car starts to shake then stalls.
I can start it again straight away but will do it over and over. The fastest way to get it working is to try and pull away as soon as possible but then the engine bogs down horrendously and i can put the pedal flat to the floor but the revs just bounce around between 200 - 1500rpm and I hear popping sounds coming from the engine kind of like a carburetted car when it chokes out.
If I feather the clutch a bit I can get it through this stage and suddenly the engine frees up and I get huge plume of white vapour out the back (which makes my rear window steam up) then the car drives fine for the rest of the journey and will be absolutely fine until its been off for another few hours.
It's a really frustrating issue as it only happens on cold starts and as I say the car will be fine for the rest of the day

41 - 50 of 50 Posts