Veloster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have read many threads trying to decipher available tunes for the 2nd Gen Veloster Turbo and here is what I discovered.

Manufacturers will not advertise or display the increase in boost. I managed to get confirmation from Lap3 and Racechips only. Others dont answer the phone or reply to my emails.

I want a Tune/ECU for my stock 2019 Veloster R Spec. Will only use 91 Octane.

Lap3
  • Requires spark plug change
  • cost nearly $1K
  • with stock car +91 Octane I can expect about 3lbs of boost increase
Racechips
  • Tech confirmed they Do Not Require spark plug change
  • cost $300 ~$500
  • The S chip increases boost by up to 2.9lbs
  • The GTS chip increases boost by up to 5.8lbs
  • The RS chip is somewhere in the middle
Right now I am liking the S chip due to price. If I am running a stock car with just this chip and both chips offer about 3lbs of boost increase....

I do not want to change the settings or record my maps or anything. I just want to leave it at increase boost and call it a day. never go back to stock boost levels but I know both chips offer that option to turn a knob or change via iphone app.

I daily this car for up to 100 miles a day and need something fun in the early 2K~3K RPM range, I dont want the extra power to kick in after 3K~4K rpm.

Best
bigC

·
Registered
283 Posts
All I can say is that the Lap3 ECU works wonders. More power all through the band.

I don't trust those sensor foolers.

Plus I still have my stock ECU.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
63 Posts
I'm new to the Veloster platform but like Crispy said, I never trusted those "Race Chips". They send a signal to your ECU to "fool" it but then the ECU always tries to correct it. Their website claims 48HP and 85TQ with the GTS version...highly unbelievable. That is a LOT of gains and I would think that 1.6L engine would need some support modification to handle that kind of power.

I checked the Lap3 and from what I'm understanding it's a brand new ECU tuned with a performance tune, which seems much more legit. They probably use HPTuner.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 VT
616 Posts
Right now I am liking the S chip due to price. If I am running a stock car with just this chip and both chips offer about 3lbs of boost increase....

I do not want to change the settings or record my maps or anything. I just want to leave it at increase boost and call it a day. never go back to stock boost levels but I know both chips offer that option to turn a knob or change via iphone app.
BOTH CHIPS have this option?:unsure:

Dont believe in the "racechips", i think its a scam, but, buy the "s" and report back, I would like some feedback and dyno numbers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lap3 also has a piggy back tune now. They still offer the replacement ECU.

When I spoke to Lap3 tech on the phone he suggested I not purchase the ECU but instead the piggyback tuner because I have zero bolt-ons or bone stock setup.

bigC

·
Registered
283 Posts
They do. But it is $23 more than the ECU.

Not the sub $500 that you can get the RaceChip for.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sxth element and tork motorsports are a couple of companies worth looking into. They've been working on velosters for a while now. They also actually dyno tune there products as far as I know. What I'm saying is that they know the limits of the cars. Both of them have flash tunes and not some piggyback bullshit. 1/10 days you might be able to get your car perform to the race chip numbers, when all the parameters are right, but they are not reliable tunes. Ecu reflash provides the reliable and consistent approach. I have nothing to say about lap3. Never heard of them in the veloster scene until now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts