Veloster Forum banner

4941 - 4960 of 4985 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
Got an oil change today and during an inspection, we noticed the passenger side CV axle boot is starting to tear. I guess that's not too bad considering I've got 75K miles on my car. I already snapped the drivers side one in half last year. :(

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
In the meantime, I washed and waxed her and her shoes. Gotta say, the before and after is beautiful. I have to admit, just washing these wheels doesn't do anything. It almost makes them look dried out.

Before (washed):

After (waxed w/o tire shine):

The reflection after a fresh wax job tho..

·
Registered
566 Posts
Got an oil change today and during an inspection, we noticed the passenger side CV axle boot is starting to tear. I guess that's not too bad considering I've got 75K miles on my car. I already snapped the drivers side one in half last year. :(

View attachment 134179
mine has gone twice & repaired under warranty. but now it has tore again :( so that would be a 3rd time but prolly not covered under warranty

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
632 Posts
mine has gone twice & repaired under warranty. but now it has tore again :( so that would be a 3rd time but prolly not covered under warranty
Is it the same axle every time? 🤔
You'd think these axles would hold up better or the rubber boots are just junk. 🤷🏼‍♂️😞
Axles are a b*tch to change and not fun.
Good luck. 🙏🏽🤞👍

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
Is it the same axle every time? 🤔
You'd think these axles would hold up better or the rubber boots are just junk. 🤷🏼‍♂️😞
Axles are a b*tch to change and not fun.
Good luck. 🙏🏽🤞👍
Lucky you, you can do it yourself. Shops here want $480-$500 parts & labor on my passenger side one. But I'm smart enough to just buy the part myself and pay someone for the labor. I got a quote for $109/hr and it calls for 1.2 hours so I don't think that's bad.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster 2.0
22 Posts
Lucky you, you can do it yourself. Shops here want $480-$500 parts & labor on my passenger side one. But I'm smart enough to just buy the part myself and pay someone for the labor. I got a quote for $109/hr and it calls for 1.2 hours so I don't think that's bad.
Is there any noise coming from the CV joint. That's the CV boot that's ripped. If there is no noise when you drive, you can just replace the CV joint boot. It's not the whole axle that needs replacing. You can get a CV boot replacement for 20 bucks at autozone for these cars and do it yourself. Cut the old one off add the grease that come with the boot. Place new boot on and 2 clamps that are also included. Then drive to get all that grease good and coated.

·
Registered
'16 Vitamin-C NAV Tech
78 Posts
Is there any noise coming from the CV joint. That's the CV boot that's ripped. If there is no noise when you drive, you can just replace the CV joint boot. It's not the whole axle that needs replacing. You can get a CV boot replacement for 20 bucks at autozone for these cars and do it yourself. Cut the old one off add the grease that come with the boot. Place new boot on and 2 clamps that are also included. Then drive to get all that grease good and coated.
I figured it wasn't necessary to replace the entire axle. I just know shops always "recommend" it instead of just the boot and then say the labor costs the same either way so you might as well replace the entire axle. Anyway; what noise would I be looking for? The only thing I notice sometimes is when I'm making a left turn into my parking spot and my tire goes over the speed bump at the time, I hear a squeak but I don't know if maybe it's my tire just squeaking or what. Other than that, I don't hear anything abnormal.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I figured it wasn't necessary to replace the entire axle. I just know shops always "recommend" it instead of just the boot and then say the labor costs the same either way so you might as well replace the entire axle. Anyway; what noise would I be looking for? The only thing I notice sometimes is when I'm making a left turn into my parking spot and my tire goes over the speed bump at the time, I hear a squeak but I don't know if maybe it's my tire just squeaking or what. Other than that, I don't hear anything abnormal.
The noise you'd hear is a clacking sound from the axle and only occurs when making a corner.
Going straight there's little load being placed on the cv joint. 👍
They usually don't squeak btw. 😂😉
Good luck. 🤞👍

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
432 Posts
Dealing with the p0420 this afternoon on my brothers veloster. Hopefully an upstream o2 sensor is just bad and not a clogged cat. Should've jumped on the 4-2-1 race header group buy afterall lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dealing with the p0420 this afternoon on my brothers veloster. Hopefully an upstream o2 sensor is just bad and not a clogged cat. Should've jumped on the 4-2-1 race header group buy afterall lol
The group buy has been terminated for lack of interest as expected but we gave it a try.
I did however buy the OBX 4-1 header and am quite satisfied wit the results so far. 😍👍

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
432 Posts
It will be completely up to my brother since he's paying for things. He doesn't necessarily care for cars so sometimes it's just about getting the car out the door.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks man I've been working hard doing all the work myself. Now all I got left is to put the LEDs that I've already purchased around the the disc's.
Yeah electrical wiring and doing the wiring right is one of the most tedious jobs there is when modifying cars.
The work when finished is something you can be proud of as it'll not only look good but will never have an issue electrically down the road.
Nice work man. 🙏🏽🤟✌

4941 - 4960 of 4985 Posts