Veloster Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 4779 Posts

·
weekend racer
7,385 Posts
LOL those huge bags of bolts. when i do engines each part i took off the bolts would get their own labelled bag, with the bolts cleaned up nicely. and nuts threaded back on in place if applicable. i hate working with dirty parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A little inspiration from the gen 2 Veloster had made me add a little spice to my front lip and side sills. I had also wanted to black out the badges for a lot time now so there was no better opportunity.

Cotton wool to stop any plastidip getting through the badges onto the radiator.

First coat on and I went a little heavy with the black. Can says make a nice wet coat but I have a lead finger. red worked wonderfully. The Plastidip dude on YouTube recommends putting down a tack layer before a proper coat. This is really necessary for small targets like the badges.

I added a glossifier to the black. I did help but I didn't start with a idea finish on the matte black. a little to textured for it to look glass like.

Finished product was fine though. Really happy, personally I don't think it looks too cheap. Adds a bit of personality.

Attachments

·
weekend racer
7,385 Posts
a toothpick works great for removing the dip between letters and won't mar the paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I want to add some side strips to my new 2020 Turbo. Any suggestions?
I would avoid plastidip in that case. It would be difficult to get a consistent edge. It could be done with Frogtape; make a stripe with two pieces and fill in the middle with the plastidip. But I don't know what happens when you try to peel that off, I could tear in places or peel the whole thing off. Easiest way might be to just cut out a strip of vinyl. You can get a sharp edge with that.

·
weekend racer
7,385 Posts
lots of different stripes you can get on ebay :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
took off my bumpers and put new after market bumpers on, getting a new control arm and fog lights in soon, gonna be painting my wheel wells gold as well as my reflectors and maybe even the control
Arms

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would love to hear more about those stripes if anybody finds anything.
Am going to get a new 2 tone black and yellow paint job next month and might add some stripes aswell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Didnt do anything myself today but whent to talk to the painter to see what is going to happen with my baby banana

She got a serious case of bumper rash due to some poor soul that painted it before i bought it

And then theres some dings and scratches

Overall not too bad but you can clearly see a colour difference on the passenger side and the doors are orangy yellow.

So our baby will get the full treatment on the passenger side, simply restoring what was overpainted before.
The roof will be painted black aswell as the mirrors.

Painter did ask me if it was worth it and i said to him iam in love with it so nothing but the best for her

·
Registered
552 Posts
-Used but looks brand new head
-Used IC replacement for my one that has 119k miles on that's been through an accident
-New G4FJ gasket kit for hg replacement
-New redline MT-85 for the DCT
-New OEM oil filter
-New Amazon Basics 0w20 (first time using)
-New Archoil AR6200 Fuel Treatment
-Acetone to clean the used IC
-New AMSOIL HD Coolant
-Hy-per Cool coolant additive
-New CERMA Engine Treatment
-New Napa Balkamp 160° tstat (p/n 6476665692)
-New Stant Racing Rad Cap 24psi rating (p/n 10362)
-Distilled water

·
Registered
74 Posts
-Used but looks brand new head
-Used IC replacement for my one that has 119k miles on that's been through an accident
-New G4FJ gasket kit for hg replacement
-New redline MT-85 for the DCT
-New OEM oil filter
-New Amazon Basics 0w20 (first time using)
-New Archoil AR6200 Fuel Treatment
-Acetone to clean the used IC
-New AMSOIL HD Coolant
-Hy-per Cool coolant additive
-New CERMA Engine Treatment
-New Napa Balkamp 160° tstat (p/n 6476665692)
-New Stant Racing Rad Cap 24psi rating (p/n 10362)
-Distilled water
Let me know how it goes with the head, want to take off mine aswell.
Have done a ton of heads at work but 8ts not a job i really like to do on my own vehicles and dont know how much work it is on the v.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did an oil change knew it would be on the sludgy side but had some bg engine flush.
Ran it for a solid 20 minutes, drained the oil and it was still not good
Top one is after the bg

The bottom one is after i dunked in some el cheapo oil and flushed it for another 20 minutes.
Since iam prepping for the supercharger ill be installing an oilcooler soon anyway so i put in castrol edge for the next month or so.

And i had time to clean the engine a little.

4661 - 4680 of 4779 Posts