Veloster Forum banner

4641 - 4660 of 4668 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nothing extraordinary, but damn..the ride quality is waaaay better! And I think they are a bit over inflated by the seller but it's day and night difference, like a different car. Also went with different tire brand other than Kuhmo or Falken. These things are staying on!
I also believe that Hyundai didn't bother to calibrate the suspension for the turbo versions with the 18", they are basically using the NA calibration, because these 17" wheels/tires feel like they were made for the turbo far as handling and ride quality.
View attachment 132133
You probably have lighter rims and tires with the 17" setup than your 18's.
Less unsprung weight can make the car feel completely different and lighter on its feet. 😉

Btw those rims look sweet on the car and compliment the deep blue wonderfully. 😍

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Washed my car. The only time it was ever dirtier was after a hurricane. It had been off and on with rain and then it got cold (you know -- it hit the 50's as a low here!). Yesterday was perfect, sunshiny, low temp, low humidity. Hand washed the wheels, dusted and vacuumed the interior, spot waxed some small scratches, etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got the car ceramic coated a few days ago. It's like a damned mirror. Today, installed my new mudflaps. Looking simply amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beautiful car! I wonder if solid red mudflaps would look good too? Are you considering a red vinyl decal on the sides to enhance the body molding at the bottom near the front of the rear wheels?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Beautiful car! I wonder if solid red mudflaps would look good too? Are you considering a red vinyl decal on the sides to enhance the body molding at the bottom near the front of the rear wheels?
Solid red would look great. I've had red flaps before on a different car, and I was digging the more blacked out look for this, so I went with black with red accents to match the sideskirts.

As far as the red decal goes, if I was still living out east, I would definitely consider it (though the lopsided nature of the car might look weird to me with them not matching on each side). However, I'm in Arizona, and you just can't have vinyl out here without it getting utterly destroyed. Even if you keep the vinyl in good shape, even with a white car, your car WILL fade out here even within a year or two. It'll be slight, but if you ever take off the decals you'll notice big time.

I had a white Tacoma before this, and had some custom decals on the back of the bed. I had them on for about 8 months or so. When I took them off, the image had backed itself into the paint. I don't know if I just got lucky, or what, but the image did fade over a relatively long period of time to the point I coudlnt see it anymore in any lighting, but I always get paranoid about that since then.

It's also why I'm going into this car with a more OCD mentality with the ceramic coating and what not. I'm basically doing every thing I can this go around to keep the car in mint shape for as long as possible.

I have some more modifications along the way. If anyone in the Phoenix area (or anywhere close enough they feel like driving from) wants a professional grade ceramic coating, the shop I got it down at that just opened up offers it for a song. Like... laughably cheap.

·
weekend racer
6,734 Posts
what is it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it is, whent to the parts store showed him the picture and without saying its even for a hyundai he grabbed one so that says alot.

Work on john deere gator power steering models which have solid gears inside.
Just really annoying that they put this weak bugger inside

IMG-20200112-WA0000.jpeg

Also really need to clean but we had floodings and it keeps on getting dirty.
You can actually see that i was working in 2 inches of standing water on the side

·
weekend racer
6,734 Posts
that is what i thought, wanted to confirm.

i wonder when i'll have to do it. i had the column and rack out of my kia the hardest part was lining that damn spline lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
that is what i thought, wanted to confirm.

i wonder when i'll have to do it. i had the column and rack out of my kia the hardest part was lining that damn spline lol
I think you might actually be able to do it without taking off the steering column but i didnt try that.
Being a mechanic gives you a 6th sense for splines, had it in in one go.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I think you might actually be able to do it without taking off the steering column but i didnt try that.
Being a mechanic gives you a 6th sense for splines, had it in in one go.
I had mine replaced with 22,000 miles on it (and 7 years old at the time) so I knew exactly what it was when I saw it! So it definitely wasn't the miles but the aging of the part that mattered most. You know when you get the clunky steering wheel issue that this will be the problem. And, Sheeep, I think you do have to take it all down to get there unfortunately -- this is definitely not something the "weekend mechanic" should tackle! AND for such a ridiculously small, cheap part! Something better could have been used there. Smile on my face though because the extra coverage I bought paid for it!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I believe it's a recall or at least it will be replaced for free if it goes bad because Hyundai/Kia knows this is a problem. Not exactly positive but its worth looking into.

It's not a safety issue because it doesn't affect the steering connection or the power assist. It only affects connection of the power boost motor to the column in so that it will make a clunking noise when you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I believe it's a recall or at least it will be replaced for free if it goes bad because Hyundai/Kia knows this is a problem. Not exactly positive but its worth looking into.

It's not a safety issue because it doesn't affect the steering connection or the power assist. It only affects connection of the power boost motor to the column in so that it will make a clunking noise when you turn the wheel.
It was a recall in some models -- not the Veloster. And, if those little nubs wore down to the quick, it would definitely be a safety issue and not just some clunking. That's why the other models had a recall.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well, it should be if isn't. It's the same system as on the other models. And actually, there is no safety issue. The connection of the steering wheel to the actual wheels is not affected. The only affect is the application of the power assist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine replaced with 22,000 miles on it (and 7 years old at the time) so I knew exactly what it was when I saw it! So it definitely wasn't the miles but the aging of the part that mattered most. You know when you get the clunky steering wheel issue that this will be the problem. And, Sheeep, I think you do have to take it all down to get there unfortunately -- this is definitely not something the "weekend mechanic" should tackle! AND for such a ridiculously small, cheap part! Something better could have been used there. Smile on my face though because the extra coverage I bought paid for it!
I respectively disagree, its an easy job due to the low amount of bolts you are taking off.

If i look at new mechanics at the shop most of the times the limiting factor is not complexity its a matter of preventing tunnel vision.
This tunnel vision is mostly caused when you start taking more and more bolts off and people start getting confused.

You can throw a bag of bolts at me and ill know exactly where they belong where a new mechanic will go into panic mode right away.

Its not a complex system its just fiddly, the connectors can only go in one way and you take off 5 bolts and 2 nuts and plastic follows

This is a new mechanic doing an engine with a hell of bags trying to remember where everything should go

20200114_074341.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
I respectively disagree, its an easy job due to the low amount of bolts you are taking off.
Disagree with what? I didn't say it was a hard job. I said it wasn't a safety issue. The piece is the connection between the power assist motor and the column. Not how the motor itself attaches to the column but where the output of the motor applies assist to the column. There's no safety issue because the motor is still applying assist, it's just now doing it directly metal to metal with a clunk instead of having the rubber cushion in-between.

4641 - 4660 of 4668 Posts