Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo 6MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the oil and there's literally none left. Not a single drop. It ate literally ALL ITS OIL (4-5 quarts; manual states 4.8 but some owners say anything over 4 puts them above the full mark) in a hair over 3000 miles with no visible leakage on ground or in the engine bay, no blue smoke, and no oil pressure light until (even after) it started breaking itself. No other warning lights either. The only warning sign was an inconsistent feeling like it was trying to pull timing/boost under hard throttle, which I had assumed was the result of feeding it regular for a couple of tanks. My old Sunbird, with massive, visible oil leaks, did not go through oil as quickly as this thing did.

I'm in shock right now. I feel like I should cry, but I can't even manage to make myself. I just feel dead inside.

At least it never actually threw a rod so the block, turbo, etc. might??? be salvageable. No idea where I'm going to take it to get it fixed, and if the price is more than about $5,000 I'm hosed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SITREP: I put 3 quarts of oil back in it, seemed to have some still left in the pan but not much. Dipstick got obviously burned. After re-oiling I heard the nasty sound a little on startup, then a little bit when I slightly revved it; after letting it idle for a couple minutes I no longer heard the loud tapping in revs up to 1500 RPM but I really did not like the sound or feel when letting off the gas afterward. A much quieter ticking/clacking sound is still audible, including at idle.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
528 Posts
Change the oil and filter with new and go from there. Use cheap oil to keep the expense down but still use a Hyundai filter.
See how bad the oil is when you drain it.

I'd also let it idle for awhile and let it get to temp to clear away any burnt oil in the crankcase. Do not rev it while idling.
Check your coolant to make sure it's clean and full.

Funny how the oil had to go somewhere. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤨 Very strange. 🧐🤔

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
FWIW when i permanently removed my engine cover 2 weeks ago, i was shocked at how loud the fuel pump on top of the motor was. i can easily hear it walking by the car.

sorry to hear about your engine though. misnblu is right... the oil wouldn't just disappear it either burned up silly fast, or possibly in the coolant?

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW when i permanently removed my engine cover 2 weeks ago, i was shocked at how loud the fuel pump on top of the motor was. i can easily hear it walking by the car.

sorry to hear about your engine though. misnblu is right... the oil wouldn't just disappear it either burned up silly fast, or possibly in the coolant?
More research reveals that a bent rod can cause high oil consumption, and since 2013 models are known to have wimpy conrods, is it possible that there was already a bent rod before this happened?

I'm trying to get it in at a local independent import shop, but they have a lead time of about a month on engine rebuilds. If a rod is bent - what would be a typical cost for a low-level conrod upgrade? If the turbo is fried - I'm seeing costs of $800-1200 for new OE and $650 for reman OE on the internet; is this reasonable and are there aftermarket units which deliver better functionality at similar prices?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
I wish I could give you more info. Kdmtuners has upgrades. Or you can get a stock long block.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Been a long time, hasn't it?

So, I figured I'd post an update on what happened. Import shop tore the engine apart, and the direct cause of the death noises was a spun bearing caused by the insufficient oil. (They never told me what caused that.) After months of NaTiOnAl BaCkOrDeR the new short block should be arriving this week. Cylinder head (failed a vacuum test, probably just carbon fouling) is done and back from the machine shop. In the process of disassembling the engine, they found out that the turbocharger had not been damaged by the oil starvation but was badly worn (~$400 rebuild) and that a timing-related part was broken somehow.

Before, this thing was just quick enough to feel like you had a fast car, until you headed to the local twisties and immediately found yourself in over your head against the Impreza Army with even more power, plus AWD, plus fully-independent rear suspension. I can't wait to see how much quicker it is with the engine in actually decent condition.

In any case, since I'm about to have the car back finally, I have seen a few other Velosters around my town in Alaska. There's a burnt-orange first gen VT that came absolutely FLYING up behind me on a back road one day, and a dark red first gen automatic with many exterior mods including smoked taillights and a larger carbon fiber spoiler. Either of those cars sound familiar to anyone here?

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
impreza army lolol i would make a window block joke but that's not fair to you :)

we lose atleast one impreza of some flavor in our racing club every year. no, not to crashes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alaska? around here? doubt it. lol

Thanks for the update.
Eh, just figured I'd ask. You never know.

I keep forgetting that people don't really do forums the way they used to.

impreza army lolol i would make a window block joke but that's not fair to you :)
And to think, part of the reason I didn't buy a Subaru was because of all the things I'd heard about head gaskets and weak pistons.

Well, that and I don't want to look like a Subaru driver.

we lose atleast one impreza of some flavor in our racing club every year. no, not to crashes...
That surprises me given what I've seen of how Impreza people drive. At an autocross I spectated, they seemed to have more trouble staying on the course than the muscle car drivers. Meanwhile, a bugeye WRX that frequents the local twisties looks like it's been upside down at least once, judging by the condition of the roof.

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
I drive both a 99 impreza(and used to have an 05 iutback sport) and a 12 veloster.

Imprezas (and evos) are pigs at autocross because the understeer horribly, 2.5 na engines are the ones known for head gasket issues. This is solved with a non oem mls head gasket and a 4th cylinder cooling kit (just adds a cooling circuit)

My veloster also consumes a lot of oil during autocross events (same amount per track day from 32k to 112k where im at now) my engine is still fine but my experience has been both velosters i have just burn oil like an old jeep

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive both a 99 impreza(and used to have an 05 iutback sport) and a 12 veloster.

Imprezas (and evos) are pigs at autocross because the understeer horribly, 2.5 na engines are the ones known for head gasket issues. This is solved with a non oem mls head gasket and a 4th cylinder cooling kit (just adds a cooling circuit)

My veloster also consumes a lot of oil during autocross events (same amount per track day from 32k to 112k where im at now) my engine is still fine but my experience has been both velosters i have just burn oil like an old jeep
How often do you autocross, and how often do you usually have to add/change oil? Reading your post has made me realize that running this car could get pretty expensive if I decide to run synthetic oil, and while I don't autocross (yet) I have a tendency to rip my cars pretty hard. I'm 25 but still drive like I'm 17, and that ain't the half of it. I'm actually planning to start a local Hyundai/Kia crew this spring - that's why I asked if anyone from Alaska was on here.

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen, 99 impreza
308 Posts
How often do you autocross, and how often do you usually have to add/change oil? Reading your post has made me realize that running this car could get pretty expensive if I decide to run synthetic oil, and while I don't autocross (yet) I have a tendency to rip my cars pretty hard. I'm 25 but still drive like I'm 17, and that ain't the half of it. I'm actually planning to start a local Hyundai/Kia crew this spring - that's why I asked if anyone from Alaska was on here.
Roughly 12-15 events a summer, 1 ice racing event and 1 joy ride around BIR last year. I typically have to check it every 3-4k miles and oil change every 3-5k depending on condition.

I've decided to retire mine from autocross and just use it as a hauler because of the oil consumption. I'm finishing my subaru swapped vw fastback for 2022 season

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
I feel bad. Mine consumes a bit too. It’s always in the middle of the stick by my 2000 miles. Still beating it though.

Reactions: absoluteyeti

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
7,964 Posts
i'm at 120k and it only recently started happening. the car runs like a top all day long. autocross doesn't add much wear to the car only the tires. each event is a few minutes of seat time lol

track days will get you though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Years ago I owned a 2005 Cadillac SRX, nice vehicle but it had this weird problem - the oil level would be fine and then I would check it again at the next fill up and some times it would be OK or it would be low by several quarts!

I sold is at around 190K miles with no problems but I had to check the oil at every fuel fill up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts