Veloster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following can be achieved for absolutely nothing; zip, zero, zilch, nada. These mods are ideal for those who just acquired a VT, for those that are on an extremely tight budget, or for those that are new to the modding scene.

Weight Reduction - Less weight equals improved acceleration and handling. One doesn't have to remove everything in this list, but it all accumulates and more weight lost is better, particularly from up high and from the front of the car. In stock form, the VT's weight distribution (percentage) is approximately 61/39 (F/R).

· -6.4 lbs. - Remove rubber trunk mat
· -5.4 lbs. - Remove tire inflator kit & styrofoam holder
· -3.8 lbs. - Remove lower airbox resonator & 3 bolts
· -2.4 lbs. - Remove owner's manuals & A/V cable
· -2.4 lbs. - Remove engine cover
· -1.8 lbs. - Remove rear seat headrests
· -1.8 lbs. - Remove rear seats (http://www.veloster.org/forum/38-hyu...-diy-info.html) Follow the first half of the DIY
· -1.4 lbs. - Remove rear floor mats
· -0.8 lbs. - Remove license plate frames (2) & 10 screws
· -0.6 lbs. - Remove hood insulation blanket & plug clips
· -0.4 lbs. - Remove plastic pieces around intercooler
· -0.2 lbs. - Remove styrofoam behind crash bar
· -0.2 lbs. - Remove airbox lid resonator
· -0.2 lbs. - Remove cargo net
· (Unweighed) - Remove front floor mats
· (Unweighed) - Remove trunk tray/cover
· (Unweighed) - Remove trunk liner board
· (Unweighed) - Remove dust caps
· (Unweighed) - Remove positive terminal cover on battery
· (Unweighed) - Remove bypass valve circulation hose (BPV to BOV mod)
· (Unweighed) - Remove battery insulation blanket
· (Unweighed) - Remove front tow hook plug
· (Unweighed) - Remove fog lights

Tons of plastic bits, those really aren't necessary.
-Dust caps (I have been running around since I've had the car with no issues)
-Positive terminal cover
-Engine cover
-Remove front 'ram air' pieces from stock air box system
-Remove BPV circulation hose
-Remove Battery insulation blanket
-Remove Foam crash bar cover
-Remove Front tow hook plug
-Remove Fog lights
-Remove Under hood insulation blanket

If you have additional information (weights, etc.), please PM me to keep the thread clean and I'll include it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The top part is great, and so is the bottom. The middle kind of doesn't seem to fit in this thread about weight reduction, and more about hints and tips.

Also, for people who aren't in the south or need an A/C, the compressor is probably about 50-70 lbs. You can also get some lbs if you remove the insulation that is under the floor covering (but you get a lot of road noise). Going to lighter rims can net you 10 to 15 lbs each rim depending one which wheel you go (I saw some 17's that weighed 12 lbs!) and depending on how much the stock rims weigh (does anyone know?).

The insulation on the firewall between the engine and the cockpit could net you some weight reduction also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The top part is great, and so is the bottom. The middle kind of doesn't seem to fit in this thread about weight reduction, and more about hints and tips.

Also, for people who aren't in the south or need an A/C, the compressor is probably about 50-70 lbs. You can also get some lbs if you remove the insulation that is under the floor covering (but you get a lot of road noise). Going to lighter rims can net you 10 to 15 lbs each rim depending one which wheel you go (I saw some 17's that weighed 12 lbs!) and depending on how much the stock rims weigh (does anyone know?).

The insulation on the firewall between the engine and the cockpit could net you some weight reduction also.
Good i'dea i'll seperate and make each thread its own...
i think stock rims are somewhere between 22-28 lbs each.. i can't find that info

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love this thread! While the VT is my wife's daily driver and I will not be gutting it, you are a man after my own heart. Every 100 lbs is equal to apporximately one tenth of a second gain in the 1/4 mile. I am used to racing heavy pigs, and I love the free "power" obtained through weight reduction. I was able to take a 4500 lb car down to about 3800 lbs. :)

Here are a couple pics of the Dodge Magnum that I raced last season:

·
Registered
132 Posts
And there is no way an ac compressor weighs 50-70 lbs!! I work on transport trucks and even their much larger compressors don't weigh that much!! I'd be hard pressed to even believe that the whole ac system in these cars is more than 30-40 lbs.
Although if you don't need it, gut it. Any weight lost is good.
Deleting the ac is not only a static weight loss but it also frees up power from the engine. Less rotating mass and no resistance from the compressor. Every lb and every hp counts.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Also three really cheap and easy ones that add up the pounds.

1.. Windshield water reservoir. Drain it at least. Most hold about 1.5 to 2 gallons so that's a good 10-17 lbs less.

2.. Car battery. Start up car, remove battery. Car will continue to run without issue but don't turn off unless you have someone to jump start you or hand you your battery back. Thats a good 35-40 lbs less.

3.. Passenger seat. Usually heavier than rears on a 2 door car and easier to remove and install. Not sure how much the Veloster seats weigh but I'd wager it has to be around 25-30 lbs.

Shits and giggles.. Stereo. The head unit in the Veloster has to weight about 15 lbs. And with the right tools I guess it doesn't take long to remove. Pull out trim, unscrew mounting, unplug harness. Done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also three really cheap and easy ones that add up the pounds.

1.. Windshield water reservoir. Drain it at least. Most hold about 1.5 to 2 gallons so that's a good 10-17 lbs less.

2.. Car battery. Start up car, remove battery. Car will continue to run without issue but don't turn off unless you have someone to jump start you or hand you your battery back. Thats a good 35-40 lbs less.

3.. Passenger seat. Usually heavier than rears on a 2 door car and easier to remove and install. Not sure how much the Veloster seats weigh but I'd wager it has to be around 25-30 lbs.

I had a friend that would bring his own gas to a meet trying to leave only the necessary amount for a few runs and also he would empty the washer fluid.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Want weight reduction? Buy a tread mill.
I think the gist of the thread is stuff you can do for FREE to add some lightness to the vehicle. ;)

If not then I'd say that for the price of a quality treadmill you could swap out wheels for some lightweight ones, perhaps carbon hood or hatch..

And you'd receive instant gratification. No sweating it out on top of spending large coin for a treadmill.

Which reminds me, I remember a few hardcore "race car drivers" that on the day and days leading up to a race or races, their diet was pretty much salads, sports drinks, soda crackers paired with some diuretic pills and laxatives. Guys that on the regular would weight about 165 to 200 lbs would easily come in 10-15 lbs lighter just for lapping. Every 10th counts I guess.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
356 Posts
The rear seats (flip down part) are 26lbs together.
I'm actually thinking of removing my rear seats since I never have any passengers.
The carpet weighs a ton but looked online for some good quality non padded carpet and there's nothing out there.
I did this on my Z24 drag car with the carpet and the factory carpet was at least 60 lbs. 🥴
Put in some ACC carpet to replace the factory and it looked as good but weighed 15 pounds.
Wish I could do the same for the Hyundai. 🥺😔

1 - 16 of 16 Posts