Veloster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2013 Veloster Turbo with 49k miles on it from a decent dealership, for the first couple weeks everything was fine car ran well and everything. I know my way around cars so I thought I got a decent vehicle, even with the expedited pace I had to shop at to beat the state shutdown on sales (I needed a car to move from MI to NC for work). However, just two hours into the thirteen hour drive my water pump completely blew, thankfully limped it to a dealer I had a warranty with just two miles away. Prior to travel I did my own check of the car and everything was working fine, and had a mechanic inspect just to be sure but here I was. Now after getting it back the bluetooth doesn't even work, I'm just concerned to see what goes wrong next. I can do a lot of my own work normally but living situation doesn't really afford me the tools or space to do so right now. Car is paid in full so I don't have any reason to keep it.

Long story short I loved this thing when I first got it, but within a months span I've lost my faith in it already and am looking at selling because I simply can't trust a car that died at 49k on me and cost me a hefty shipping fee and rental. Am I really wrong for looking for something else so soon? I REALLY want to like this car but it's making it so hard. I praised this thing right up until it failed me at the worst possible time after not even having it for a month.

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
my transmission was grinding at 32k and hyundai took care of it. i asked for and paid for a new clutch disc while the rest was covered.

how did the water pump go? did it just start leaking and the temp gauge went up?

2013 is not the greatest of the models unfortunately... you are very lucky you didn't pop the headgasket on that badboy.

at the end of the day you have to be comfortable with what you got. if the car isn't confidence inspiring it just wont work for you. and this will ring true about any car or item you purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my transmission was grinding at 32k and hyundai took care of it. i asked for and paid for a new clutch disc while the rest was covered.

how did the water pump go? did it just start leaking and the temp gauge went up?

2013 is not the greatest of the models unfortunately... you are very lucky you didn't pop the headgasket on that badboy.

at the end of the day you have to be comfortable with what you got. if the car isn't confidence inspiring it just wont work for you. and this will ring true about any car or item you purchase.
Thank you, I was simply cruising on the highway and noticed the temp going up exponentially fast so I immediately pulled off to the nearest dealer and the rest was history. No clue why it would go so early but I can go ahead and say I don’t think it’ll be the first thing to fail soon. They replaced the water pump, gasket, and belt and I had to get it shipped from Ohio which was lovely.

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
Well you only had one mishap with the car, call it a fluke and enjoy it. sometimes the bluetooth is finicky in these cars, you just have to play with it for a while. If other things start breaking then I would say to move onto another car

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
300 Posts
Well you only had one mishap with the car, call it a fluke and enjoy it. sometimes the bluetooth is finicky in these cars, you just have to play with it for a while. If other things start breaking then I would say to move onto another car
What he said.
See how the car goes now that this is fixed.
Remember this is a used car so the previous owners may not have had the best maintenance habits with the car.
Good luck and don't lose hope. 🙏🏽

·
Registered
16 VT
493 Posts
Car is paid in full so I don't have any reason to keep it.

cost me a hefty shipping fee and rental. Am I really wrong for looking for something else so soon? I REALLY want to like this car but it's making it so hard.
-Paid in full? No reason to keep? Get rid of it then.

-Don't understand why you paid fees and rental?

good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Recently purchased a 2013 Veloster Turbo with 49k miles on it from a decent dealership, for the first couple weeks everything was fine car ran well and everything. I know my way around cars so I thought I got a decent vehicle, even with the expedited pace I had to shop at to beat the state shutdown on sales (I needed a car to move from MI to NC for work). However, just two hours into the thirteen hour drive my water pump completely blew, thankfully limped it to a dealer I had a warranty with just two miles away. Prior to travel I did my own check of the car and everything was working fine, and had a mechanic inspect just to be sure but here I was. Now after getting it back the bluetooth doesn't even work, I'm just concerned to see what goes wrong next. I can do a lot of my own work normally but living situation doesn't really afford me the tools or space to do so right now. Car is paid in full so I don't have any reason to keep it.

Long story short I loved this thing when I first got it, but within a months span I've lost my faith in it already and am looking at selling because I simply can't trust a car that died at 49k on me and cost me a hefty shipping fee and rental. Am I really wrong for looking for something else so soon? I REALLY want to like this car but it's making it so hard. I praised this thing right up until it failed me at the worst possible time after not even having it for a month.
Well honestly it’s not the water pumps fault. The car is about 7 and a half years old. So more then likely one, the belt was too tight hence putting stress on the bearing of the pump and other belt driven accessories so do check the belt tension because the alternator is the belt tensioner and or the anti freeze is the original since new and will need replacing regardless of the miles. It’s time on the antifreeze just like normal engine oil.. it’s three months or three thousand miles. So yes antifreeze and brake fluid too needs a changing bro! It’s all time based too. Not only mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well honestly it’s not the water pumps fault. The car is about 7 and a half years old. So more then likely one, the belt was too tight hence putting stress on the bearing of the pump and other belt driven accessories so do check the belt tension because the alternator is the belt tensioner and or the anti freeze is the original since new and will need replacing regardless of the miles. It’s time on the antifreeze just like normal engine oil.. it’s three months or three thousand miles. So yes antifreeze and brake fluid too needs a changing bro! It’s all time based too. Not only mileage.
Take care of your car and it will give you far less problems.👍

·
Registered
93 Posts
The water pump went in our 71 TR-6 at 7500 miles. Why? Oh that's simple. Did not know you had to GREASE it every 3000 miles. The replacement pump was a standard sealed bearing unit that did not require such maintenance.

I doubt that the water pumps in modern engines require greasing... ;-) HOWEVER... I'm sure statistically, 1 in1(however many zeros here) are not exactly up to par... or at the low end of the tolerance standard wise.

As mentioned before, you're lucky other damage did not occur and that you were far more observant than the "idiot lights"... AND... this is interesting.... that our Temp guages... actually have a semblance of accuracy.

As to the bluetooth, my 2013 NAV was rather finicky as well. And don't even get me started on it's voice command understanding accuracy. That little reset button in the dash? Was pushed MANY a times in abject frustration.

All that said... I did trade her in prior to losing my "Certified Pre-Owned" warranty... as there were a few other "annoyances" that I was very glad were covered.

What I DID get... was a 2019 R Spec which...sadly, given my age... and the amount it's getting driven under lockdown.. just may end up being my last car evar....

Good luck with yours... be it the current, or next ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts