Veloster Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... I get a flat tire. It was a small leak from a nail or something.

My tire pressure light goes on and I stop. I knew I had no spare but I thought the Fix A Flat would be fine. I used it and it worked. I pumped the tire back up to 32psi with the factory installed compressor & Fix a flat.

Once i got the car to the tire shop they said they CANNOT patch a tire that has fix a flat. The fix a flat adheres to the inside of the tire and the patch will not hold.

THIS IS Bull SH*T Hyundai is so neglectful of their customers that they factory install something that ruins tire instead of a spare????? If the manual had said something about how the FIX A FLAT will make the tire un-patchable I would not have used it and I would have called for roadside assistance. Now I have to buy a new tire and my tires only have 12,000 miles on them??? this is a load of crap

VERY DISAPPOINTED CUSTOMER

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
its not hyundai's fault you went to a shitty shop. try another shop. that one is lazy. very easy to properly patch a tire with fixaflat in it. just requires a little extra work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RPW00Mirage I had Hyundai roadside asst pick up the car and we will see the result.

I also opened a case with Hyundai to cover the cost of replacement the tire if the "fix a flat" did indeed ruin my tire.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
As has been already stated, you can still patch/plug a tire once you've used a sealant it just takes a bit more prep work. Some shops don't like taking the extra step to properly fit it and will tell you they can't so they don't have to deal with any possible headaches associated with the correct fix.

I personally carry a plug kit with me for the "just-in-case" factor as I don't run RF tires.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have never used the fix-a-flat kit before. But I have a friend, who worked at a tire place, and one day went to fix a tire, truck tire, that had a puncture in it. The driver of the truck failed to tell him that he had used fix-a-flat on the tire, and when he went to take it off something happened that it just blew up and tore the rim apart. Long story short, he now sits on a wheel chair with half of a leg cut off. Maybe this is why they don't like to deal with tires with fix-a-flat in them. Of course he sued the maker and won the case. Just be careful when ever you use fix-a-flat and do tell the shop guys about it before they do any work on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
every manufacturer is going.to this flx a flat stuff for weight reduction..

Also TPMS.doesnt like.the gooey stuff either...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
they have TPMS safe fixaflat.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a small finish nail in one of my wife's tires right now. I only noticed as I took the wheel off for something else and decided to pick all the pebbles out of the tread. I need to get the actual spare tire kit. I'll keep it in the garage for around town stuff as she'll call me if she gets a flat. We'll toss it in the well if we go out of town on a trip or something.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
The fix a flat can be patched, but the TPMS has to be replaced. It IS covered under warranty. Been there, done that, next time calling roadside assistance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
686 Posts
I work at a shop that sell and service tire.

-tires can be repaired, but it takes more work so be prepare to pay a little more. we usually have to wash out the tire and rim and buff down the inside of the tire where the patch goes
-your TPMS sensor will be shot, so you will have to get a new one
-DO NOT buy repair kits from a dollar/surplus store. cheap brand can contain Heptane, Propane or other flammable based propellant. they can go BOOM
-tell the guy that's repairing your tire that it's filled with fix a flat. the chemical makes a mess and is highly acidic. you don't want the guy repairing you tire to take the valve core out and get that stuff sprayed all over himself

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have never used the fix-a-flat kit before. But I have a friend, who worked at a tire place, and one day went to fix a tire, truck tire, that had a puncture in it. The driver of the truck failed to tell him that he had used fix-a-flat on the tire, and when he went to take it off something happened that it just blew up and tore the rim apart. Long story short, he now sits on a wheel chair with half of a leg cut off. Maybe this is why they don't like to deal with tires with fix-a-flat in them. Of course he sued the maker and won the case. Just be careful when ever you use fix-a-flat and do tell the shop guys about it before they do any work on it.
The "Fix-A-Flat" stuff in the cans used to employ a Butane/Propane mixture as a propellant that was extremely flammable, it essentially made the tire into a rolling "bomb" - any small spark could set it off (such as the iron of the tire-machine scraping across the edge of the rim).

Such is not the case nowadays, especially with the kits the manufacturer includes in lieu of a spare tire. The "propellant" in the Hyundai (and Ford, GM, Toyota, etc.) kit is the air-compressor.

I'm Sorry to hear this happened to your friend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts