Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone had experienced this yet? If so please let me know. Yesterday my VT of only 5500 miles wouldn't start from the usual tab on the brake and start button. All electronics were on, start button in ON position but there was no starter crank sound. I tried waiting a few minutes but no dice. I locked and unlock the car as well. At this point the brake was so pressurized I could barely step on it.
I had to press the bluelink SOS button for the first time! I must say the service was excellent and the tow truck came within half an hour.
We tried jump starting but that wasn't the issue because the car didn't even attempt to start. He then tried to wiggle the car and finally got it disengaged to Neutral that's when it started.
Any idea what happened? The car is fine thus far today. I want to hear your input before bringing to the dealer. Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd say the vehicle didn't shift completely into park. If it's not in a neutral gear (and automatic) it won't start. Since the fix was shifting to neutral, I would say next time that happens, take it in. Make sure you put the shifter completely into park.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have to shift my pickup into neutral to start it every once in a while. It's due to a warn linkage between the shift bar and the tranny. Most likely in your case it was not catching the sensor enough.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not sure if anyone had experienced this yet? If so please let me know. Yesterday my VT of only 5500 miles wouldn't start from the usual tab on the brake and start button. All electronics were on, start button in ON position but there was no starter crank sound. I tried waiting a few minutes but no dice. I locked and unlock the car as well. At this point the brake was so pressurized I could barely step on it.
I had to press the bluelink SOS button for the first time! I must say the service was excellent and the tow truck came within half an hour.
We tried jump starting but that wasn't the issue because the car didn't even attempt to start. He then tried to wiggle the car and finally got it disengaged to Neutral that's when it started.
Any idea what happened? The car is fine thus far today. I want to hear your input before bringing to the dealer. Thanks!
I went thru a similar problem about 3 weeks ago. I have a 2012 NAV 6spd manual. I had all electronics, lights but only got a click sound when engaging starter. but car would not start. Towed to dealers and they found nothing wrong and could not duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem with a 2013 NAV Tech with 24,000km on it. Problem seems to be aggravated by extreme cold. Eventually got it started a few times by repeatedly pressing the start/stop button or giving the starter a "friendly" nudge with a torque wrench. Dealer is replacing the starter under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed the problem with my 2013 not even attempting to crank over when it get below -33 C.or colder.Playing with the lock and unlock buttons does seem to make a difference,but sometimes takes 10 or more minutes before it cranks over.Dealership replaced the starter for a 2nd time,but I am not certain that is the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Canada and am having the same problem. I placed a multi meter inline with the battery to measure the current draw and noticed an issue right away!

The Veloster had all doors closed and all accessories off and the meter showed 1.48amp's of draw! I called the dealer and told them about the issue and that many people are having the same issue, and this is the first time they've heard of it. They said the current draw from the V is supposed to be 0.2amps.

I worked for an hour in my shop removing fuses and continued to watch the meter, and then I found it! The issue for my V is the multimedia system. I removed the in cabin multimedia fuse and the draw turned to 0.19amp!

I called the dealer back and they thanked me for trouble shooting the issue, and I scheduled an appointment to get in serviced.

I hope they get it this time.

My appointment is on Monday, and will update people when I know more.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm in Canada and am having the same problem. I placed a multi meter inline with the battery to measure the current draw and noticed an issue right away!

The Veloster had all doors closed and all accessories off and the meter showed 1.48amp's of draw! I called the dealer and told them about the issue and that many people are having the same issue, and this is the first time they've heard of it. They said the current draw from the V is supposed to be 0.2amps.

I worked for an hour in my shop removing fuses and continued to watch the meter, and then I found it! The issue for my V is the multimedia system. I removed the in cabin multimedia fuse and the draw turned to 0.19amp!

I called the dealer back and they thanked me for trouble shooting the issue, and I scheduled an appointment to get in serviced.

I hope they get it this time.

My appointment is on Monday, and will update people when I know more.
Let us know as soon as you get results from dealer. Curiosity has me since I went thru this once needing a tow to dealers and they could not duplicate problem. I think your on to something here. If your theory proves right Hyundai may need to issue TSB for problem and maybe NHTSA should be brought on board as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with the recent cold weather on a VT base 6M. Two days ago, it would crank only after 4-5 push on the start button. Yesterday was even colder and it never cranked after 20-30 button pushes (this drained the battery) and I had it towed to the dealership. They charged the battery and offered to keep it overnight so they can try it in the morning. Today is even colder (!!) and it did not start. Battery is good, so they offered to change the starter. Let's see what will happen.

·
weekend racer
6,734 Posts
more often than not the starter itself is the problem. luckily all covered :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
My V is heading back to dealers for the no crank problem again. The trip back & forth to Boston this past weekend had the car act up 4 times. Everytime was when car sat for 3 or more hours in cold. It's definatley not a battery problem since I have power to everything, the start circuit is not engaging the starter. Totally frustrating with this intermittent problem but now it seems to do it everyday so dealer should be able to reproduce the problem after the car sits overnite at dealership and remedy the problem.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great... Sounds just like the Dodge I'm selling. Over the last 8 years I've had this intermittently. Changed neutral safety switch, changed starter, tried new wiring, etc. Never found exactly what it was. Really hoping this doesn't happen to my V. My wife may set it on fire if she has to go through that again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
UPDATE: Problem replicated itself at dealership today........it's the starter ! They are overnighting a new starter and repair will be done tomorrow hopefully.
Also started a case file with Hyundai Corporate and reported it to NHTSA as well. Who the hell wants to be stranded in the cold with a car that won't start, I'd say that's safety related.

PS: Be aware if having this issue, the warranty on starter is 3 yrs/ 60k
not 10 yr/100k

·
weekend racer
6,734 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
But ya know the feeling ya get when you know it's a problem but if it can't be witnessed by dealer it don't exist. Your still getting randomly stranded. Thankfully it finally acted up for them to document and repair before it was out of warranty. My Mini cost me an arm and a leg with mechanical issues after it's warranty expired.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Im having that same issue now. Whats really weird is this morning I pressed the start butten 4 times and the starter never engaged but as soon as I took my foot off the break pedal the car started all by itself, I never even hit the start butten the last time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just picked up the car today. Drove it around and ran errands with no issues. Let it sit a couple hours before I had to go in to work and now it won't start. It's not cold out. I haven't even had the car for 4 hours and it's already screwed. I'm not happy.
I called the dealership and they sent some decrepit old man out to give me a boost, despite the fact that I told them I already tried boosting it. Then he left and came back with some apprentice to replace my battery even after I told them the starter is most likely the cause. Guess what happened, the battery didn't fix it and they say it needs a starter.
Of course the dealership doesn't stock starters for it either. It's too new of a car and they've never had to replace one apparently.
Now it's Easter weekend. My car is sitting in my parking lot unusable, my other car had it's insurance removed because I was expecting to drive my new car from now on, and they won't have it towed to the dealership until Saturday morning. They only work for 4 hours on Saturday so I figure the likelihood of getting to drive my new car at all this weekend is non existent.
Tomorrow is Good Friday and I'm off work. I'm going to see if I can bump start it and take it to the dealership so that they can't use a tow truck as an excuse for not getting it in the shop. The service advisor tells me they're going to try and remove a starter from another brand new veloster so they can get my car going this weekend.
Not a good first day of owning this car.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just picked up the car today. Drove it around and ran errands with no issues. Let it sit a couple hours before I had to go in to work and now it won't start. It's not cold out. I haven't even had the car for 4 hours and it's already screwed. I'm not happy.
I called the dealership and they sent some decrepit old man out to give me a boost, despite the fact that I told them I already tried boosting it. Then he left and came back with some apprentice to replace my battery even after I told them the starter is most likely the cause. Guess what happened, the battery didn't fix it and they say it needs a starter.
Of course the dealership doesn't stock starters for it either. It's too new of a car and they've never had to replace one apparently.
Now it's Easter weekend. My car is sitting in my parking lot unusable, my other car had it's insurance removed because I was expecting to drive my new car from now on, and they won't have it towed to the dealership until Saturday morning. They only work for 4 hours on Saturday so I figure the likelihood of getting to drive my new car at all this weekend is non existent.
Tomorrow is Good Friday and I'm off work. I'm going to see if I can bump start it and take it to the dealership so that they can't use a tow truck as an excuse for not getting it in the shop. The service advisor tells me they're going to try and remove a starter from another brand new veloster so they can get my car going this weekend.
Not a good first day of owning this car.
Sorry to hear it. The fact that they're willing to take one off a new Veloster is very cool though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya. I'm glad they were willing to do that for me.
Looks like I'll be driving it back to them though. Went out to the car this morning and it fired right up. Started and stopped it a few times and then it wouldn't start again. Try it again and it fired up again. I think it might be a dead spot in the starter windings or a poor electrical connection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts