Veloster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Opps, forgot to scan it. Gimme a day. I dont mind steelies, its the wife that wants the better looking alloys.

·
Registered
242 Posts
it has same.brake diameter if not identical brakes to the Sonata...and they have 16 wheels :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The diameter of the rotor isnt the issue. The caliper is larger on the VT then on the normal V and it has been moved to the front of the hub instead of the previous rear mount. The 15" wheel I tried cleared the rotor but the caliper was too big.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not the ride that's my concern. It's the fact that 18" wheels and low-profile tires are incompatible with real-life.

The tire profile needs to be at least curb-height, not less. Otherwise (as in the case with my Tech Package wheels/tires), they're toast. The V is rather wide, and I have to park right up against the curb, or else.

If I upgrade to the VT, I plan to swap out the 18" wheels for 16" ones (maybe from an Elantra?). I won't suffer the anguish of 18" wheels again. I had a bad feeling about them from the start, and reality has proved to be even worse than my fears!

Reactions: RKoz

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ordered a new tire and wheel set today just to be safe.

For those of you in Canada and not living right next to the border or in Toronto, Ottawa Tires Direct is a pretty good source for right priced wheels and tires. The best I've found in years. They reply to quotes as late are mid-night with call backs if you want!

I asked them to put together a package for the VT (they had wheel and tire packages for the Genesis, etc...) and they came up with four of them. I ended up going with this one:

2013 HYUNDAI VELOSTER TURBO (16" XICE2 + MODA MD11): *** TIRE & RIM PKGS *** - HYUNDAI - 2013 Hyundai VELOSTER TURBO - Ottawa Tires Direct - Your #1 place for Winter Tires in Ottawa

Wheel: Moda MD11 16"
Tire: Michelin X-Ice Xi2 205/55-16 ($162 each)
Price: $1127 mounted and balanced + tax

I was VERY clear about the offset issue with the VT and they assured me the wheel would clear the calliper. I also wanted the Michelin X-Ice Xi3s, but there are only a hand full of tire shops in Canada offering them. (they're really new) I had the original X-Ice's and they were awesome on my Mazda5, so I decided the X-Ice Xi2s would do.

In Canada we have 1010tires.com, but even with free shipping plus tax, they couldn't do this good. Costco.ca with black steel rims was basically the same price. ($222 per tire) Tirerack.com was $1500 after factoring in shipping, duty, taxes, etc... I could have driven down and had them installed for cheaper, but I would be packing 4 tires on the way back. Meaning cross border shopping would be limited to the tires. Even then, the shipping difference to Canada was like $120 which is less than a hotel plus gas and food.

Anyways, if you're in the Ottawa area, ottawatiresdirect.com is a good place to shop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
BTW, the 18" on the VT aren't bad at all. I think the ride is more comfortable than the 17" on my Mazda5. (with higher suspension and more rubber, I ride Eagle GTs on it, they're very nice) I would agree with you on 18" being too harsh, but times have changed. In the past 18" on compact cars was limited to aftermarket wheels, and there would typically only be racing/summer 18" tires available. The suspension on those cars wasn't expected to soften the blow of a 18" running through a pot hole, not to mention someone swapping out 15/16" wheels for 18" would probably lower the suspension with replacement springs only, shocks would eventually leak, suspension would bang, etc... (not saying you're in this group of people, just that it was typical in the early 2000s cars having to do things they weren't intended to do)

These days a car like the VT or Golf (which I believe pioneered 18" wheels on a main stream compact, and nobody ever complained a Golf/GTI's ride was harsh) tune their suspension for larger wheels. They could have made the VT's ride softer on 18", but it wouldn't fit the vehicle.

You're right though, if you don't like the suspension in your vehicle, for most the only choice is to change tires and wheel sizes to cushion or stiffen the ride. However I don't think the Elantra's wheels will fit the VT or 2013 V because of the brake calliper change. The offset is smaller than the Elantra's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Realy nice Moda wheels!

I think that I will going with custom wheels too. It's realy hard to find OEM wheels that fit on VT, used and at low price.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Good job on the wheel and tire package. I emailed for a quote on tires only.

I found a nice set of used wheels that will fit. They were on a Mazda3 and they fit my VT perfect.

$150 lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nice.

It was difficult on Kijiji to find a set of rim that didn't have tires, or had winter rubber than worked. After a weeks of digging I decided to just pay the same I did for the winters I got from Costco for my 2007 Mazda5, for new model X-Ices with a sweet set of rims. I wish I knew about Ottawa Tires Direct when I had to replace my last set of Summer tires...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
And another kijiji find for me :)

From an 05-06 Tucson. 16x6.5, 5x114.3, 41 offset. Much better condition then the 17s I bought. And they are Hyundai and 16 tires are cheaper.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just finished putting my winter tires/wheels on my Veloster turbo - the inner surface of the 16x7 Borbet LV5 rims clear the front calipers by a lot more than the OEM 18" rims. 205/55R16 General Altimax Arctic tires complete the package - thanks to my friends at Tirerack. Now I'm ready for a snowy Chicago winter and potholes. Velster Winter Wheel Tire close up.JPG Veloster turbo with winter wheels tires.JPG

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
For the price it doesn't get much better than those General's. I have the 195/65/15's for snows on my NAV. In comparison with all the rest of the tires TireRack offers they rank up at the top and the price is perfect. They also are very smooth riding without any hum like so many other snow tires have.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
In Europe, the only approve size is the 215/40 R18...Don't you have this problem in North of America?
Who and where does it state that? Our owners manual and the dealers all have different sizes available. As long as the overall diameter is relatively close and the size doesnt interfere with the operation of the car, there are various sizes that can be used.

A side note I have been wondering why rim/wheel size is getting bigger and bigger. Back then when I owned my first car 13" was standard, then 15", 17", and now 18"? What is the pro and con? I found this article. I wish I have a choice and I would just stick with 16", better acceleration and fuel economy, why not.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Looks, stiffer side wall, wider contact patch, bigger brakes, etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just got Continental Extreme Winter Contact with 16" hub centric steel rims installed. Immediately I miss the sharpness of my Hankook Evo V12 summer performance tire. The Continental has noticeably softer sidewall being 16" and all. Makes me wonder if I should've gone with 17" for a slightly sportier drive. But I need my Veloster to be best prepared for the worst days of the winter. I actually really dig the utilitarian look of the steel rims.

For those in Ontario, I paid under $1000 plus tax for the tires, rims and WeatherTech Front Liner. I think I got a decent deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have some Blizzack 195/55/16 that were from my mini cooper s, that are like brand new. Will these fit my VT? I know I would have to buy new steelies.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yup, those will work. Speedo is only off by about 1mph too fast.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts