Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a wheel Q, but its VT specific due to the larger brakes over the NA V. I'm taking delivery of my VT in September, and I will need some Winter tires come November. (time to get in line at Costco...)

I know the NV V can take 16" wheels no problem, but what's the smallest sized wheel the VT can handle? 15"? 16"? I'm assuming 16".

This Q matters as I can start looking early for a new set of steels or an older set of Hyundai wheels off an Elantra or something. Buying 17" or 18" winters in Canada is insane as its hard to find non-high performance Winter tires here. It'll run me like $1500 with tax, etc... (I might trip down to Syracuse...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Asked too soon. I just checked the TireRack again (I did a month ago) and they have Winters for as small as 15"! That gives us a lot of flexibility.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I'm trying my 15" winters on my VT this weekend. Stay tuned for results.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking forward to it. I've got 2 different 16" steelies + rubber in negotiation right now!

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The spare is a 16" so I hold my breath that the 15" fits lol.

No UHF or VHF but a pile of WTFs if they don't fit. The vt rotor is 1/2" bigger so I can't see a big diff in wheel fit.

My Genesis is 18" minimum. I'll let you guess the cost of those winters.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
^^ Yeah, the 18" winter's made me say "WHOA". Hence why I got the 15" Moda M9's with 195/65/15's General Arctic Altimax's mounted, balanced, and shipped for less than just the 18" snows.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You guys are crazy. Why would you put 15/16" wheels on your VT? Seems kind of bizarre to me, especially if you're getting steelies or some crap wheels.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
^^ I would NEVER put OE size snow tires on my car when I can go -1,-2, or -3 for FAR less and have MUCH better snow/ice traction. It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
^^ I would NEVER put OE size snow tires on my car when I can go -1,-2, or -3 for FAR less and have MUCH better snow/ice traction. It's a no brainer.
Exactly. I got a complete set of Winterforce tires in 15" WITH WHEELS (aluminium 5spoke, mounted and balanced) from TireRack for less than I could get THREE 17" snowtires ANYWHERE, including shipping and fondling. And that completely ignores the fact that I would STILL have to come up with another set of 17" wheels to mount the larger tires.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for steelies, they're not open wheeled so you get less brake dust rust flying all over the place. With the moisture in the air (above -10c) and salt on the road, a closed wheel will protect your brakes from ice and snow better, and your paint job from brake dust. Plus as mentioned, despite there being more rubber in an 18" tire, 15" tires are way cheaper and perform better in snow. (they'll be more pliant)

If you're not lazy and don't run slicks in the Summer, you can usually get away with riding only 3 months with the Winters. (mid-December to early March) It's not that long a time to live with unattractive wheels for the Winter performance gain! (we live with a harsh ride for corner performance do we not?!?)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
FYI

I just tried my 15" steel wheels and they do not fit. There is plenty of room for the rotor, but the caliper sticks out very far from the hub, both in debth and diameter. It was touching the inside of the wheel and the wheel itself would not fit flush against the hub.

I think its pretty safe to say that a 16" alloy or steel wheel is the minimum for a VT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Would changing the tires to 16" improve the ride ? I just got my VT turbo on Thursday and love it but I find the ride to be a little rough. Any other cheaper alternatives to improving the ride ?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Well with the taller sidewall a 16" tire would have, the ride would be softer. But also at a huge possible loss of handling and steering feel. A taller tire will ride better, but that taller sidewall will also flex more.

Personally, I dont think the 18" wheels and tires ride that bad at all.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Thanks for the Info MTD. So now we know the smallest wheel to fit the VT is a 16" while it's a 15" for the NAV. Perhaps we should have a sticky page for this type of info? Can you wave your wand Mr. Mod-Sir and Make-It-So? ;)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My 15's actually don't look bad at all. They are on the car in my Avatar if you look close enough. I haven't updated my pic to a good "summer shot". I suppose I should before the snow flies again, eh? ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, we've got a confirmed 16" fit. That's great news. Anyone know a comparable Hyundai car with 16" wheels and 205/55-16 tires? I know the Accent and Tiburon both had models with 206/55-16 tires. Maybe I can find some used Hyundai rims with Winter tires...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Plenty of other Hyundai models come with 16 and 17 wheels, both steel and alloy. Elantra, Sonata, Tucson even a few Kia models.

Even with the 18 OEM wheels, the caliper is very, very close to the back of the wheel. Maybe a 1/4" clearance thats it. I suspect that with the moving of the caliper to the front of the hub, it might have changed how it mounts.

Im also going to double check the offset of the spare and the OEM 18 and see if they are the same.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts