Veloster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I've been checking this forum since I bought my Veloster Turbo R-Spec. Lots of great information here. I don't have a car background (besides driving) so my questions may seem naïve - please bear with me.

The dealer tells me I should NOT change tire size for my winter/snow tires. For example, from 18 to 17.
That's not what TireRack tells me and not what I have read here on the forum.

Also, can I buy winter tires without the TPMS? What would be the ramifications of doing that?
Thanks to anyone who can simplify this for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Howdy!! Welcome to veloster.org and owning a great car!!

The ONLY reason I can think of why the dealer would say that is because it will most likely change your speedometer reading and therefore your odometer reading. That's a bad reason though as it would barely make a difference.

I use the stock 18" rubber and rims during summer and have 17" rubber/rims for winter, I have had my VT (not RSPEC mind you) since 2012 and have done the swap every year so far, no issues.

I don't have TPMS on my car, but as I understand it, the only ramification of going TPMS-less you that you get to stare at that warning light everytime you drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy!! Welcome to veloster.org and owning a great car!!

The ONLY reason I can think of why the dealer would say that is because it will most likely change your speedometer reading and therefore your odometer reading. That's a bad reason though as it would barely make a difference.

I use the stock 18" rubber and rims during summer and have 17" rubber/rims for winter, I have had my VT (not RSPEC mind you) since 2012 and have done the swap every year so far, no issues.

I don't have TPMS on my car, but as I understand it, the only ramification of going TPMS-less you that you get to stare at that warning light everytime you drive.
Thanks so much for this information and warm welcome.

I am going to move ahead then with 17" wheels and rims. I might call the service dept back (dealer where I bought the car) to see if this was the reason behind his answer. He seemed rushed the day I called and I didn't want to take up his time with follow-up questions and possible dumb questions. Since I plan to have my Veloster serviced at a dealer and this is my first Hyundai, I want to start out with a service department that is responsive. There are several Hyundai dealers in the area so I will check around.

As for the TPMS, I thought that might be the only drawback. If that is it, it will not bother me at all.

Thanks again and so far, I really enjoy driving this car.

·
weekend racer
6,590 Posts
You'll be fine with 17. And even 16.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello -

I've been checking this forum since I bought my Veloster Turbo R-Spec. Lots of great information here. I don't have a car background (besides driving) so my questions may seem naïve - please bear with me.

The dealer tells me I should NOT change tire size for my winter/snow tires. For example, from 18 to 17.
That's not what TireRack tells me and not what I have read here on the forum.

Also, can I buy winter tires without the TPMS? What would be the ramifications of doing that?
Thanks to anyone who can simplify this for me.
the dealership maybe wanted to sell you their wheels instead? when you change your tires after 10 miles down the road you'll see your TPMS blinking constantly and after a while it will stay solid, soon after that you'll get a message from bluelink saying have 4 errors on the car. Its just a system thats telling something is wrong (only because the TPMS isn't on them) but you are fine. after you are done driving just check your lugnuts and retighten them if you need to.

to my understanding and please anyone in the forum correct me. You can't install the tires at your local dealership or any other shop unless you have TPMS include in all tires. There is some law about 2007 and up vehicles that need to be installed which is like an extra 200 bucks for liability reasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks also to RPW00Mirage and Junie86. There are many more snow tire options in 17 and 16. This is in line with the information at TireRack too. I'm glad to know these options are available to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts