Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster R spec
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a catch can to my 2016 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec I was wondering if I should also add a vented oil cap if that would make a difference or make it worse for my car.
Screenshot_20210429-160144_Chrome.jpg

Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 馃か
I recently added a catch can to my 2016 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec I was wondering if I should also add a vented oil cap if that would make a difference or make it worse for my car.
View attachment 134230
The problem with that vented cap is it will be soaked in oil in no time and all over your engine.
Like you I wanted better crankcase ventilation so I went a step further.
I bought an aluminum cap, drilled and tapped it, and ran a line fro the cap to a small Mishimoto catch can and it works marvelously well.
42568F50-922B-4F63-87CC-EDFE392718E6.jpeg

You don't have to have the braided line and standard barbed fittings of 3/8" works with a 3/8NPT thread for the cap. Standard 3/8" fuel line works great and I do recommend you use a small filter like to see on the can. I got the k&n filter as it's easy to clean and reusable.

Hope that helps. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with that vented cap is it will be soaked in oil in no time and all over your engine.
I bought an aluminum cap, drilled and tapped it, and ran a line fro the cap to a small Mishimoto catch can and it works marvelously well.
View attachment 134233

You don't have to have the braided line and standard barbed fittings of 3/8" works with a 3/8NPT thread for the cap. Standard 3/8" fuel line works great and I do recommend you use a small filter like to see on the can. I got the k&n filter as it's easy to clean and reusable.

Hope that helps. 馃憤
Yeah it does thanks another question I have for you does that still get and grab the extra oil that you get cuz my cats can grab the lot of that dumped back oil. And I can just use my existing CAT scan and just add a filter and do what you did right and it's still work the same as having the Catch can and that filter? Or better? Ive heard about it before. No I'm going to get the steel braided line and run it like yours that's a nice clean look I like it and it goes with the color combo of my car.
20210410_194102.jpg

Registered
Yeah it does thanks another question I have for you does that still get and grab the extra oil that you get cuz my cats can grab the lot of that dumped back oil. And I can just use my existing CAT scan and just add a filter and do what you did right and it's still work the same as having the Catch can and that filter? Or better? Ive heard about it before. No I'm going to get the steel braided line and run it like yours that's a nice clean look I like it and it goes with the color combo of my car.
View attachment 134234
I'm running a 3 catch can setup where all of them are vented like in the picture.
I have the cap catch can, the pcv catch can, and the fresh air catch can for the best ventilation.

Both the cap catch can and the pcv catch can on my car need to be dumped every 1500 miles or so and the fresh air can has a very small amount at the bottom when I check them.

Here's a pic of how much comes out after 1500 miles on the pcv and cap catch cans. 1/3 full.
A9AEC28E-4D64-4917-97B8-545072A4C7D5.jpeg

I'm in the process of combining the pcv and fresh air together into one catch can that is a 3 port can with 2 inputs and 1 output to the filter.
I also just bought 2 - 7.5ounce can bottoms from Mishimoto so they'll be more efficient and longer drain intervals.

Keep in mind that when you vent to air the fumes although well filtered will be smelled from inside the cabin. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔 It doesn't bother me as I know that all that gunk is not going back into the combustion chamber and there is no noticeable loss of oil by doing it this way. 馃憤

Btw your engine bay looks mint. 馃槏
You may not have as much room as I do so make sure to preplan where you put your cans. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running a 3 catch can setup where all of them are vented like in the picture.
I have the cap catch can, the pcv catch can, and the fresh air catch can for the best ventilation.

Both the cap catch can and the pcv catch can on my car need to be dumped every 1500 miles or so and the fresh air can has a very small amount at the bottom when I check them.

Here's a pic of how much comes out after 1500 miles on the pcv and cap catch cans. 1/3 full.
View attachment 134235

I'm in the process of combining the pcv and fresh air together into one catch can that is a 3 port can with 2 inputs and 1 output to the filter.
I also just bought 2 - 7.5ounce can bottoms from Mishimoto so they'll be more efficient and longer drain intervals.

Keep in mind that when you vent to air the fumes although well filtered will be smelled from inside the cabin. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔 It doesn't bother me as I know that all that gunk is not going back into the combustion chamber and there is no noticeable loss of oil by doing it this way. 馃憤

Btw your engine bay looks mint. 馃槏
You may not have as much room as I do so make sure to preplan where you put your cans. 馃憤
Well right next to the left side of the upper shock is where I have my catch can now but it's only a 2- port. I just recently put it in and it and maybe ran it for 20 miles and it got and it's significant amount of oil. I just had to take it off because my car started acting up and now it's at the Hyundai dealership getting a new turbo blow-off valve ECT they're still looking at everything and fixing it all. Thank God it's under warranty. As you can tell I drive my car hard but I take care of it and change the oil every 2,000 or 1,500 miles.

Registered
Well right next to the left side of the upper shock is where I have my catch can now but it's only a 2- port. I just recently put it in and it and maybe ran it for 20 miles and it got and it's significant amount of oil. I just had to take it off because my car started acting up and now it's at the Hyundai dealership getting a new turbo blow-off valve ECT they're still looking at everything and fixing it all. Thank God it's under warranty. As you can tell I drive my car hard but I take care of it and change the oil every 2,000 or 1,500 miles.
You're not driving the car if you're not driving it hard. 馃槑
I do the same on mine and the smiles per mile is a lot. 馃槀
Good luck with the car and enjoy man. 馃憤 She's a beaut. 馃槏馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not driving the car if you're not driving it hard. 馃槑
I do the same on mine and the smiles per mile is a lot. 馃槀
Good luck with the car and enjoy man. 馃憤 She's a beaut. 馃槏馃憤
Thanks man I put a lot of work into Mike are doing everything in painting everything myself. I have a question maybe you can answer for me do you think if I just run another baffled catch can with its own filter would do the samething?

Registered
Thanks man I put a lot of work into Mike are doing everything in painting everything myself. I have a question maybe you can answer for me do you think if I just run another baffled catch can with its own filter would do the samething?
View attachment 134236
Yes but you do t have to pay so much for another can. 馃う馃徎馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔忦煒
Are wanting another three port can or just a dual port can and where are you hooking it up to the engine?

Mishimoto makes good cans and the knock offs of the Mishimoto on eBay are just as good so look around before you pay that exorbitant price for the one you have listed. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes but you do t have to pay so much for another can. 馃う馃徎馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔忦煒
Are wanting another three port can or just a dual port can and where are you hooking it up to the engine?

Mishimoto makes good cans and the knock offs of the Mishimoto on eBay are just as good so look around before you pay that exorbitant price for the one you have listed. 馃憤
I have a standard regular like the one u have but I figure with that vented one I can hook it up from the PCV valve and not have to vent my oil cap. I've been looking at a prices that I know a lot of them are like 20 to $70. But I don't find many baffled at a cheap price.

Registered
I have a standard regular like the one u have but I figure with that vented one I can hook it up from the PCV valve and not have to vent my oil cap. I've been looking at a prices that I know a lot of them are like 20 to $70. But I don't find many baffled at a cheap price.
The Mishimoto is baffled and includes a nice sized 50 micron brass filter to further clean up the output of the can.
SxthElement even has a similar baffled design with a 50 micron brass element and theirs is just as expensive as what you're looking at.

My cans work very well considering what they catch and I have yet to clean the output filters because the output of the can is so clean. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔忦煒

I'm just trying to save you a dollar or 2 and my 3 port can I ordered is the Mishimoto billet can clone that I'll be using for the pcv and clean air side with the extended Mishimoto bottom. $15 bucks for the clone and billet aluminum with identical filter etc. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔

Any way good luck with your decisions and let us knowhow it goes. 馃憤馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Mishimoto is baffled and includes a nice sized 50 micron brass filter to further clean up the output of the can.
SxthElement even has a similar baffled design with a 50 micron brass element and theirs is just as expensive as what you're looking at.

My cans work very well considering what they catch and I have yet to clean the output filters because the output of the can is so clean. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔忦煒

I'm just trying to save you a dollar or 2 and my 3 port can I ordered is the Mishimoto billet can clone that I'll be using for the pcv and clean air side with the extended Mishimoto bottom. $15 bucks for the clone and billet aluminum with identical filter etc. 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔

Any way good luck with your decisions and let us knowhow it goes. 馃憤馃
Do you have the site where you got it from? And I thank you for trying to save me a buck I try to save it everywhere I can but sometimes you get what you pay for it and see prices means cheap products that's what I'm afraid of. I already have a $40 CAT scan on their butt with no filter still got the oil but I want to release more pressure that's why I want the one with the filter on it already.

Registered
Do you have the site where you got it from? And I thank you for trying to save me a buck I try to save it everywhere I can but sometimes you get what you pay for it and see prices means cheap products that's what I'm afraid of. I already have a $40 CAT scan on their butt with no filter still got the oil but I want to release more pressure that's why I want the one with the filter on it already.
What strikes me funny is that the ADD W1 catch cans have no picture or cad drawing of the baffling system they use. As a buyer of their claimed baffled product I'd want to see where my money is going on their baffling system.

This is what I bought about a week ago. See below.
Product listing is the above link.
2084D168-F1A5-4CFF-B331-61B6FADF62E6.jpeg B5CF0A19-6AB4-47B8-8F4C-57D0FBEEC43A.jpeg B90F1142-918C-4ADF-A127-C306D648C5DD.jpeg

Let me know what you think.

weekend racer
2014 VT manual
ADD W1 cans from what i remember are not baffled. they have a faucet like strainer on one of the outlets lol

maybe that has changed in the last few years.

that can you shared is basically the same with bigger surface areas lol

why not have a custom can made? mine is stairway baffled with SS material inside as the filter throughout similar to this but without the breather.

Reactions: misnblu

Registered
View attachment 134233

Hope that helps. 馃憤
Can you post a link for that K&N filter you're using on the catch can please?

Registered
Can you post a link for that K&N filter you're using on the catch can please?
K&N Vent Air Filter/Breather: High Performance, Premium, Washable, Replacement Engine Filter: Flange Diameter: 0.375 In, Filter Height: 1.75 In, Flange Length: 0.5 In, Shape: Breather, 62-1600RD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009774GC...abc_CKNKP4J5542K5F2NV8ZV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Probably not recommended to use filters on a PCV system.
Why?
I've had it like this for a year with no issues and the vent to air setup works efficiently and effectively.
The only draw back I see is having to smell the fumes but for me it lets me know it's venting.
With the catch cans setup to vent to air there is no pollution of the vapors being released to atmosphere. It's filtered twice, once by the 59 micron filter in the can, and the other by the k&n. 馃憤

Registered
16 VT
I got what your saying, maybe im missing something in the design, but when I installed one on a previous car, its connected to manifold vacuum, so how could a car even idle fine?

Registered
I got what your saying, maybe im missing something in the design, but when I installed one on a previous car, its connected to manifold vacuum, so how could a car even idle fine?
Not to become argumentative, but that is exactly how your Veloster is right. The PCV is connected to the intake manifold via the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts