Veloster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Veloster Turbo 6 speed automatic. I'm in day 3 of replacing the starter. It took half a day to find out the starter is under the intake manifold! How stupid! It took me another day to remove the intake manifold. What a pain in the ass!
Now I remove starter. The replacement starter doesn't line up with the bolt pattern. I can get one bolt in but the other bolt doesn't line up with the hole. About 20 degrees off.
This is after triple checking this starter was for a Turbo, before I bought it.
So I guess my next step is to go to the dealer and get the right bolt pattern starter. I was trying to avoid that.
Why in the hell did Hyundai make it so difficult to replace a starter? And what are my options of buying a new one that's the right one? Pekrwud.

Registered
2015 VT Manual
Not to brag, but my first time taking off the IM took me maybe 30 minutes 馃槃

Next time (if possible) bring the old one with you and verify that it's the right part. You should also (if I'm not mistaken) get some money back when you exchange the "core" component (similar to alternators). They rebuild them and resell them.

One other piece of advise is that once you have the new starter put in, before you reinstall the IM, function check it. I once put a starter in (another vehicle) and the gear was stuck in the retracted position. I ended up having to remove it, unstick the gear, then put it back in.

One thing most technicians will agree on is that engineers are there solely to make their lives miserable 馃槃

BTW, kudos to you for working on your own vehicle. A lot of people nowadays don't know how to do anything besides charge their phone and order McDonalds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to brag, but my first time taking off the IM took me maybe 30 minutes 馃槃

Next time (if possible) bring the old one with you and verify that it's the right part. You should also (if I'm not mistaken) get some money back when you exchange the "core" component (similar to alternators). They rebuild them and resell them.

One other piece of advise is that once you have the new starter put in, before you reinstall the IM, function check it. I once put a starter in (another vehicle) and the gear was stuck in the retracted position. I ended up having to remove it, unstick the gear, then put it back in.

One thing most technicians will agree on is that engineers are there solely to make their lives miserable 馃槃

BTW, kudos to you for working on your own vehicle. A lot of people nowadays don't know how to do anything besides charge their phone and order McDonalds.
Out in the sun, sweating like a pig, and taking breaks in between changing shirts, and FINALLY finding that last elusive bolt, on top of the fact I was leery about dis-assembling my Veloster for the first time, and all those connectors it turned out to be about half the day. I exaggerated about it taking a day.
I had already bought the starter on ebay after asking the seller at least twice is this starter for a Turbo? So I'm sending it back. Hyundai just couldn't keep it simple and use the same bolt pattern as on all their other starters! This starter lasted 8 years. I would prefer an after market more durable starter, but apparently they don't exist for a turbo. So to the dealer I will go, paying at least $100 more for their OEM starter. I was hoping to generate some leads where I can buy a starter other than the dealer.
Thank you for replying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Autozone has them. Generally I try to stay away from the stealership.
I just bought OEM supplier starter, MANDO 12A1540. $128.00 taxes, plus shipping at RockAuto.com. Specific for Turbo 1.6L.
Dealer wanted $330.00. Parts stores wanted $230.00. Screw them! Be here Tuesday. I'll let you know how the install went.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I completed the job. What a pain! Starts every time with no hesitation. It helps when you get the right starter. Thanks to Rockauto.com. Here's a pic. of the old starter next to the first starter I got that was the wrong one. It's hard to tell, but the bolt pattern is different. And a view of the starter installed. Thanks for all your comments and help. Rick.

Attachments

Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo M/T
This'll be super helpful for those who haven't tackled the starter job yet. Had no clue it was under the manifold.

For future reference, you can visit official wholesale Hyundai sites like here OEM Hyundai Parts | Wholesale Hyundai Parts to find specific part numbers so there's no mix ups. Just plug in your model and trim and find your part. Super easy and really helps avoid mix-ups. The page for the specific part will specify whether it works for a turbo/NA or manual/automatic Trans so there's no confusion. A lot of times, I've found parts fairly priced enough on that site and order them there. One of your local dealers probably has a similar site
Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts