Veloster Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update from this morning:

I went to the service center this morning, and finally met my advisor face to face. I really wish I could have talked to the tech in person, but I didn't get the opportunity.

The tech was able to get the car to replicate the flashing P and R on the cluster display and the car just revving in Reverse this morning. I was happy to hear that. The advisor said that the problem didn't happen while the tech was driving it. I reemphasized exactly what happened while driving, and I plan to ask to speak directly to the tech today when I hear from them about an update.

What he did say is that they 'suspect':

-That the Blue Link update was not done correctly at the dealership I bought it from pre-delivery
-That there may be something wrong with the transmission range sensor

I was unclear whether the implication was that these two are related- another reason I'd like to speak with the tech directly.

I don't have time to do much digging on my own today about this issue, as I am at work.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Do these sound viable based on my symptoms? Will this require any disassembly of the transmission itself (this one makes me really uneasy)? And how much do repairs like this come into play with the resale value of my car in the future?

I did call customer service today, but their computer system for opening warranty cases was down. They were thorough, pleasant, and seemed genuinely concerned.

I apologize if this has already been covered... For anyone with a DCT (automatic), I have completely lost 2, 4,6 and reverse with the position indicator on the dash flashing p or r... anyway... I had to diagnose the problem myself (not made of money)... There are 2 clutch motors on the engine. One is towards the top of the engine (which controls 1st, 3rd and 5th gear) and one damn near at the very bottom or the engine (which controls 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse). I discovered this out of necessity... where I live tends to flood in the intersection leading to my place and I decided to drive through the flooded intersection. Mind you, I had had the car for only a short time and was not aware of the headaches to come. A day or 2 later, while preparing to go out, i start the car and go to put it in drive and there is flashing letter (don't recall which at the time). As I try to drive, it starts ok and then revs with out moving faster... I let off the accelerator and the car had gained a little momentum and then I accelerated a bit and is caught another gear... 3rd!! Ultimately, the bottom clutch motor faulted because of a short within the connector due to water. Once dried out and reset using an OBD computer, (actually I had to try a couple of times) it was back to normal. This has happened 2 or 3 times. If you go through a lot of puddles (deeper ones) or by chance the plastic guard under the car isn't there. You may be getting water on that connector and it could be causing the problem. I am still, however dealing with sporadic occurrences where it has a major hesitation going from one gear to the next. Even using the paddle shifters, although an extreme improvement, it still seems to hesitate a bit when that problem occurs.

Help this helps someone fix their problems.

Turk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello All I just bought a used 2012 V tech package Boston red with the red/black interior, From CarMax, White Marsh. MD. it had 66,654 mi on it when purchased ( paid in full the same day) also bought the $ 1,500 extended warranty ( $ 300.00 deductible ) the car has a 90 day fix anything bumper to bumper CarMax warranty. purchased on 08/17/2019 I put less than 110 mi. on it when stopping at a red light and then accelarating when the light turned green. The car went about 25 feet and then lost all transmission functions. Forward or reverse ( dct automatic transmission) Called the dealership and they dispatched a tow truck. As I was sitting awaiting the tow I checked for a check engine light and there was none.( my blue link is not active) Next I started to read the owners manual to see if there was a driver error with the push button start acc. off, on ,start lights there was no change in any of the positions. After about 1/2 an hour the car decided to work. So I called CarMax back and told them. They said lets bring it in any way. So that was done CarMax also provided me with a Honda Accord to use while the fixed the problem. That was on 08/24/2019. So the car was driven twice in 7 days before the tranny problem and to add insult to injury the 2 front mid rang drivers blew while I was listening to the c.d player @ about 19 volume o high 0 mid. & 0 bass settings. finally as the car sat at CarMax until 09/06/2019 . the service manager called and told me that the tranny had a problem inherent to the car and they were taking it to Hyundai service to have the problem fixed or the tranny replaced. I have owned 5 Hyundai's since 1997 and all were great trouble free cars. I still have my 2.0/ 08 Tiburon GS with shiftronic tranny. and it is a highly dependable car. And all though this much time has passed since the problem first occurred CarMax has treated me as Hyundai did when I would bring a newly bought car in for service or repair. I wish I would have found this site before my purchase as there are allot of v's out there for sale with low mileage and that should have made me suspect of the cars reliability and other issues O.K The phone just rang as I am writeiing this in real time and it was CarMax Service telling me that Hyundai service has the car as I am setting here and the he expects the car to be fixed and back to me soon and that he would call with any other updates as to the repair of the Veloster. And I really do love this car. I think Hyundai hit such a home run with the styleing of the 2012-2017 ( 2018 model year skipped ) that the newer velosters look like a small sport S.U.V. to me and they all have the turbo look grill. Well that is my story and I will keep you updated as to cause and fix of the problem. yhanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Veloster
It is now Nov 2019.
We stored it winters and oiled always, and only have 109,000 KM.
It started not going into Reverse with a flashing R.
I could get it to Drive.
Took it to a dealer now it has an E on the Dash and does not drive.
IT seems to me the electronics prevent the transmission from working.
But they want to replace the transmission.

This story starts before this. I took it into a dealer months before about the car would not go into gear with a shifter problem. But the day we took it to the dealer it would shift into gear. So we started driving it again. But months later then the Flashing R problem developed. We would just turn the car off wait then usually would clear then we could drive.

Took it to a dealer months later. They billed us for a fix. Not sure what part do not have the bills in front of me.
Picked up the car drove it for an hour and boom Reverse light was right back on.
Could only Drive forward took it back to the dealer.

They called Hyundai TECH and said they would have to wait to hear back before they continue.
So now they are going to bill us for time worked.
They continued to do work that I did not ask for.
And now the car has an E instead of R or D and will not do anything.

They say the Transmission needs replaced. I do not see how the transmission needs replaced when the cars Electronics are the thing preventing it from Driving.

The transmission was driving great if the electronics allows it to drive.The veloster is Automatic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new member, I've been reading some things on the forum since before I purchased my Veloster, and now I have an issue with it that I hope you guys can help with. Please forgive my lack of technical speak.

I have a DCT with Style. Purchased February 5th. 2500 miles.

I don't know the date of manufacture, it's not currently in my possession, but if there is somewhere I can find it using only the VIN, I do know that.

Well, here it goes:

A few weeks ago, I noticed that on occasion when reversing, it seemed that I'd lurch backward really suddenly with barely any pressure to the gas. Sometimes I also felt like the car could be a little jerky and picky when accelerating. I chalked these things up to such a drastic change in what I was driving- I came from an '08 TL to the V.

Well, one day I back up and shift to drive, and the engine revs, but the car does not move. I drove standard for 8 years before the TL, so I can tell you that to me it felt like I was in neutral revving the engine. No movement in the car, not even a creep. I put it back in park then back in drive and it worked. I figured that maybe I hadn't gotten the shifter all of the way into the drive position. My TL had VERY defined positions for the shifter, so there was never any question. The digital display with the cluster did say D, though.

So, this has happened a handful of times now, and over the weekend, I thought that I should take it in early this week to get it checked out.

Sunday, my boyfriend and I got in the car, the reverse-to-drive issue happened again, it was the first time anyone had witnessed it (yay! I'm not crazy!), but once again, I tried to examine what I was doing to diagnose any operator error. We were driving on some hilly roads, and I gave some gas into a hill, and the RPM shot up with no torque. Once again, like I was in neutral revving the engine. I let off of the gas for a second, tried again and felt the gears engage and car accelerate into the hill. I was probably going about 40mph up a medium grade incline. No other problems that day.

Yesterday, car starts fine and acts fine on the 8 mile drive to work. I get in after 9.5 hours of it sitting, start it, reverse out of my spot, switch to drive, and once again no reaction from the car when pressing the accelerator. This time, I put it in park then back to drive after a couple of seconds, and it doesn't engage yet again. The third try finally does it.

About 2 miles down the road after stopping at two different stop lights on the access road, I am at the third. I take off from the line at a normal pace, and I BELIEVE it was 2nd to 3rd gear (it could have been 1st to second, but I think I was already beyond that), the car does it again. I almost got rear ended by another car who expected me to keep accelerating. Obviously I know without a shadow of a doubt that this car needs service, so I make up my mind to leave early to make it to the service dept.

This morning, I call service and leave a message that I'd be en route shortly. I head to the car, ready to get a video of it in action since I've seen some posts about the service techs not being able to replicate what owners are experiencing. The service front desk lady calls me back to see what's happening, and I have her hold while I turn the camera on my phone on to record the start.

So, I start the car, and the P for Park on the cluster display is flashing/blinking. I put it in reverse to see what was happening there, the R was blinking. The car was acting once again like it was in neutral.

The service advisor gets on the phone, tells me not to drive it and to call roadside and have it towed. I comply.

While waiting for the tow truck, I log onto blue link, and there is a red stop sign on the main page over the hood that says Transmission and to call the service department.

They were so busy, they didn't even have it in a spot until after 4. I couldn't get the video to them because their email service wouldn't allow it, but I finally got a personal email for my advisor about the time they were closing to send him the video (which shows the blinking R, a sliver of the tachometer showing the rpms climbing with my pressure on the accelerator, but is not very telling beyond that- my voice and the service lady's voice both muddling sounds of the car).

Of course, the car is showing no signs of anything wrong, they were able to back it up and get it into the bay just fine. The car threw no codes at them, but they know that I had a bluelink alert. They just couldn't see that coming from my car to them when they hooked it up. They were able to see in the Bluelink logs that an alert was sent to me right around the time I started my car this morning. They were flummoxed as to why they didn't see anything coming from the car to them and had to look for it via Bluelink.

So, the only thing I have to help them is this description and my crummy video.

The tech is driving it tonight.

I can't get a loaner until they find something wrong with it, but my near-collision yesterday is what I consider a risk to me and Hyundai if I drive it and wait for it to mess up again. I don't want to put anyone in that situation.

Any ideas I should bounce off of them? My advisor did not know about this forum, but I told him to check it out when he could.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All I just bought a used 2012 V tech package Boston red with the red/black interior, From CarMax, White Marsh. MD. it had 66,654 mi on it when purchased ( paid in full the same day) also bought the $ 1,500 extended warranty ( $ 300.00 deductible ) the car has a 90 day fix anything bumper to bumper CarMax warranty. purchased on 08/17/2019 I put less than 110 mi. on it when stopping at a red light and then accelarating when the light turned green. The car went about 25 feet and then lost all transmission functions. Forward or reverse ( dct automatic transmission) Called the dealership and they dispatched a tow truck. As I was sitting awaiting the tow I checked for a check engine light and there was none.( my blue link is not active) Next I started to read the owners manual to see if there was a driver error with the push button start acc. off, on ,start lights there was no change in any of the positions. After about 1/2 an hour the car decided to work. So I called CarMax back and told them. They said lets bring it in any way. So that was done CarMax also provided me with a Honda Accord to use while the fixed the problem. That was on 08/24/2019. So the car was driven twice in 7 days before the tranny problem and to add insult to injury the 2 front mid rang drivers blew while I was listening to the c.d player @ about 19 volume o high 0 mid. & 0 bass settings. finally as the car sat at CarMax until 09/06/2019 . the service manager called and told me that the tranny had a problem inherent to the car and they were taking it to Hyundai service to have the problem fixed or the tranny replaced. I have owned 5 Hyundai's since 1997 and all were great trouble free cars. I still have my 2.0/ 08 Tiburon GS with shiftronic tranny. and it is a highly dependable car. And all though this much time has passed since the problem first occurred CarMax has treated me as Hyundai did when I would bring a newly bought car in for service or repair. I wish I would have found this site before my purchase as there are allot of v's out there for sale with low mileage and that should have made me suspect of the cars reliability and other issues O.K The phone just rang as I am writeiing this in real time and it was CarMax Service telling me that Hyundai service has the car as I am setting here and the he expects the car to be fixed and back to me soon and that he would call with any other updates as to the repair of the Veloster. And I really do love this car. I think Hyundai hit such a home run with the styleing of the 2012-2017 ( 2018 model year skipped ) that the newer velosters look like a small sport S.U.V. to me and they all have the turbo look grill. Well that is my story and I will keep you updated as to cause and fix of the problem. yhanks
I bought a veloster nav 2017 after arriving at 65,000 miles, I stopped applying the changes immediately after that I called the dealer and they don't want to be responsible for the issue of the transmission the letter “E” appears in the cluster and now I've been on foot for about 2 months, but Huyndai is not responsible

41 - 47 of 47 Posts