Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post and I own a 2015 Hyundai Veloster NA in red.

My Veloster has been great to me, however I have had to replace the motor and I have had a check engine light for my catylic converter for a couple of months now.

When I got my new motor. My car originally had 75k on it and the new motor brought be down to 32k. If I traded it in, I wouldn't get the actual value of the car, especially being a near brand new motor is in it.

I crave performance and while I know I should of got the turbo model, that was not an option for me and still isn't. My car is paid off and I'm riding it out until she breaks.

What do you guys recommend I do to squeeze all the performance out of that motor? I have gutted the entire back of the car, and I also have an AEM short ram intake, muffler delete, and Eibach Lowering Springs. No exhaust yet but I plan on getting a catback at some point.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
95 Posts
It is still somewhat of a recent car and I'm not sure adding a turbo in there will be cost efficient. You said you had a check engine light for a couple of months now, I think you are falling out of love with your vehicle. How about keeping that one as a beater and buying a real performance project car? Just my thought. I think dumping 5-6K for a turbo on the base model is ridiculous, but then again I respect all builds and that is just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a base model as well and recently discovered that you are supposed to do a cat cleaner about every 10k miles. Found that out the hard way when I broke down about 80 miles from home because my O2 sensors died and my baby couldn't go more than 1/2 a mile an hour o_O. Also, if you put anything other than a Veloster cat on the engine light will stay on, because it acts like it's not a good enough cat. I'm dealing with that now because my husband tried to save a little money and ended up having to get the $350 cat anyway :cautious: Check your owners manual on regular maintenance, it's more than the typical car.

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
It’s a rare occurrence and can really happen to most vehicles.

You really only read the stories online where people complain. Very few positive ones. Every make and model.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have a base model as well and recently discovered that you are supposed to do a cat cleaner about every 10k miles.
And where did you "discover" that? That is not a service required by Hyundai. I believe you had a different issue. Such as a rich or lean condition.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo RIp. 2017 Veloster Value Edition turbo projector headlights, turbo taillights.
41 Posts
+1 never heard of that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a base model as well and recently discovered that you are supposed to do a cat cleaner about every 10k miles. Found that out the hard way when I broke down about 80 miles from home because my O2 sensors died and my baby couldn't go more than 1/2 a mile an hour o_O. Also, if you put anything other than a Veloster cat on the engine light will stay on, because it acts like it's not a good enough cat. I'm dealing with that now because my husband tried to save a little money and ended up having to get the $350 cat anyway :cautious: Check your owners manual on regular maintenance, it's more than the typical car.
I’ve never heard of a cat cleaner. Is it something u mix into your fuel or do I need to physically do it myself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, since it's a project car now, turbo it. To hell with the reliability.
I completely agree, it’s no longer gonna hurt my pockets but spending 3k on a turbo, I feel It’s a better to just save that 3k for another vehicle. I’d love to keep this car as a daily but insurance is $200 a month for this car and if I got a car payment and another insurance payment, id be cutting it pretty close money wise.
It seems like my best option is to cut my losses and trade it in for something else. I’d get a Veloster turbo but I feel like I’m wasting time when I could get into something faster. Velosters are nice but they’re faster cars for that same price, maybe even cheaper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Based on my past experience with my base model 2014, the PCV system is the main culprit most of the time. You need to get a complete induction service done (walnut blasting) and get the injectors cleaned. Right after you need to add an oil catch can. Read on this on youtube, its mainly a GDI problem. The problem is there is no injector on the intake manifold to wash away the oil build up the PCV system leaves behind. These chunks of un-burnt gas and oil eventually end up getting blasted down the exhaust clogging up the Catalytic and melting it. This causes back pressure and big problems. This is why they advise to use the cataclean fluid, to try and clean out the catalytic. The catch can resolves this but you need to get the intake system completely cleaned first. Hope this helps!

·
weekend racer
7,554 Posts
Using top tier gas and a good oil will mitigate most of the problems.

If you are going to run a cleaner use a GDi cleaner from CRC or comparable.

that said the pcv is cheap and easy to replace.

Reactions: NovaResource
1 - 17 of 17 Posts