Veloster Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems this is an ongoing issue with the veloster. I bought this car with 105,000 miles. At about 106,000 miles I lost full power to the wheels on the interstate at about 85 mph and the car puttered to the autoparts store where I ran the codes and the Neverending misfiring adventure began.

I replaced the plugs with NGK plugs, the old plugs were in very bad condition. The misfiring only got slightly better, I then ordered OEM coils and changed them out. The car ran perfect! No more issues! So I took it back on the interstate at about 85 mph same thing happened again. So now I'm kind of stuck, I can change the coil harness but is that going to fix the issue?

I'm sure someone has dealt with this same thing and knows what's causing it?

One more thing about the car. It is a 2012 base veloster. I bought it for my 16yr old to practice in with her permit and eventually drive when she gets her licence but I am starting to think I have made a bad choice.

After changing all the rattling suspension issues and knocking steering bushing issues now all these ignition issues and we've only had it for 1k miles.

I could use some helpful suggestions on the missing?

· Registered
2012 NAV, 2000 VMax
43 Posts
I have a 2012 base as well. I have (thankfully) never had the problems you are describing.
If you are at dealer however, get them to check that you have the latest ECU firmware update. I had mine updated a couple of years ago (on a recall) and the engine seemed to run smoother.
It eliminated the pinging (spark-knock) I used to get at times for example.
Not saying this is your problem, but it would be a good idea to have it updated if it not the latest .... a good place to start from anyway.

· weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,836 Posts
i would not change the coil harness.

there is a knock sensor logic update that may or may not have been applied, the dealer can check.

what kind of ngk plugs did you put in? what oem coils?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts