Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So this is my first post here, my clutch went bad and I am looking for some information about changing it, I have a 2012 Veloster with 105k miles on it.
The other day I was driving on the highway, smelled something burning and when I started reducing the car and gears, I got stuck in neutral and it wouldn't shift anymore, went to the side of the road turn of the car, looked around the engine and checked what I could and everything that I could see looked fine, tried to restart the car and it wouldn't turn on. Brought the car back home, scanned, checked all the fuses, power and everything that I could but I couldn't figure out why the car wasn't turning on. I brought the car to the dealer and they say that's my clutch they are charging me 1500 to 1900 to fix it, so I gonna do it my self.
Do you guys have any advice about it ? Or is it pretty straight forward? Does the car need any update on the system when you change the clutch ? Do you guys have advice to get an upgraded one or just get another one since is just for daily drive, would the clutch actually not let the car turn on ?( The dealer said that the computer had it stuck in gear and that was the reason why it wouldn't start but I flat towed the car back to my house and it was 100% in neutral so it seemed kinda weird to me) well whatever information you guy can give I would appreciate and again I have a Veloster 2012 base manual transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dealers overcharge.. Go to a legit local garage and see what they say.

A clutch should cost more than $1400 at a dealership and I don't even think they do transmissions.
You have to go to transmissions shop. I've never heard of your local legit car garage do a transmission replacement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am not entirely sure, but I think the clutch system is still independent of the ECU. Might be wrong, but if you are in neutral, and your clutch switch is correctly operating to show you are in neutral, then it should start the engine at least

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
300 Posts
I am not entirely sure, but I think the clutch system is still independent of the ECU. Might be wrong, but if you are in neutral, and your clutch switch is correctly operating to show you are in neutral, then it should start the engine at least
This is correct and that dealer like most take advantage of the ignorant people with bs statements luring them into a service call. 🙄

@Brunogoelz it all depends how mechanically you're inclined to doing a clutch install.
If you know how to take it apart and put it back together again along with having the tools you need it's not that hard.

A good service manual will give you step by step instructions on how to do the work.
I did my first clutch swap all by myself with all that I stated above. I'd never done a clutch install in my life but did it and now don't hesitate to do it again if need be. 👍
I also replaced a few other clutch/ transmission components (flywheel and slave cylinder) while I had it out and put it all back together again with no issues.

Check companies like Exedy, ACT, and Spec for a clutch will suit your need.
RockAuto.com also has a good line of clutches for the Accent/Rio so good luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Seconds on not taking it to the dealer. I'd find an independent transmission shop that's been around for a while. There's likely something else going on with your transmission that is causing it to lock you in neutral. The computer doesn't control the manual transmission at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update, i brought the car back home, before that i was talking with a mechanic on the Hyundai dealer and he said that the transmission does have a sensor on it that reads if the car is on neutral and if the pressure on the clutch or something like that is alright and he said that that was the reason why the car would not start before. I probably going to start the clutch change tomorrow, lets see what happens. I still debating where to get the clutch kit and the flywheel.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know it sounds sketchy, but on Facebook there's a guy named Albert Hwang which has access to OEM parts at rock bottom prices and with very fast shipping. He's well known and respected on FB. Maybe shoot him a DM and see if he can help. Albert Hwang

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
neutral safety switch...

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
300 Posts
neutral safety switch...
There is no neutral safety switch on the manuals. Only the dct's and autos have them.
Manuals have direct connections to the mechanical linkage for the shift mechanism with no electrical safety switch on top of the tranny as in the dct or auto.
I looked it up and could not find any kind of safety switch like the neutral safety switch. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

·
weekend racer
7,244 Posts
Take lots of photos!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts