Veloster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really think about making a walkthrough for this because I wasn't sure if anyone else would want to do this. But here are the pics of me taking my back seats out and making a flat cargo bay/ sleeping area for camping. I used cardboard to get some pretty close outlines of the shape, then cut those shapes out of 3/4" plywood, then put some wood laminate over them. I still have to do this for the fourth section, but I ran out of wood and haven't had time to go back to the store.

Registered
That's a great idea. I too have removed the rear seats for additional cargo space and had considered the addition of Plywood or some other sub straight to achieve a "Flat" floor. I am curious to your plans to make a "flat" cargo floor.

The area under the removed back seats happens to be a few inches lower that the rear cargo area. What are your plans to address this? Anxious to see the final result. Please continue to post images as this progresses along

Great work

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That's a great idea. I too have removed the rear seats for additional cargo space and had considered the addition of Plywood or some other sub straight to achieve a "Flat" floor. I am curious to your plans to make a "flat" cargo floor.

The area under the removed back seats happens to be a few inches lower that the rear cargo area. What are your plans to address this? Anxious to see the final result. Please continue to post images as this progresses along

Great work
Hey! this actually was my biggest issue. It took a few ideas, but the best (best meaning easiest/cheapest/most reliable) way to support them was by using scrap wood from when I cut the original pieces. It is roughly a 3.75" difference from where the back pieces lie flat, and the top of the ledge where the back seats sit. So, since I was using 3/4" plywood, I could just screw 4 small pieces to the bottom of my front section, and use them as support on the front end. (the pieces in the first piece are just rough measured rectangles about 4"x3") since they aren't ever going to be seen, they don't have to be pretty for me. The second picture is how I keep the pieces from sliding forward or anything. I use utility straps (4th pic) to wind through the slits in the wood, around the black brackets, and tighten. The 3rd pic is me (160lbs) standing right where there is no support, and it holds great. I am currently thinking of ideas to support the fourth panel that is by the door, because the same procedure wont work, as the ledge stops being flat on he passenger side. I will update this upcoming weekend when I have the time. I hope this made sense, I'm not the best at explaining.

Attachments

Reactions: bearbird

Registered
One thing you might want to consider is dyna mat or other adhesive sound installation. Without the seats, your cabin may be a lot noisier

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
One thing you might want to consider is dyna mat or other adhesive sound installation. Without the seats, your cabin may be a lot noisier
Oh yes absolutely. Driving around before I put any wood in was so noisy. So far with the 3/4" wood over the back it has really cut down on the sound. I was also planning on leaving the underside of the floor empty so I could store sleeping bags/pillows/blankets underneath. Hopefully having a bunch of stuff like that under the floor will take it back to factory noise levels.

Registered
2012 Veloster NA(brother's now), 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 70 VW type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
I had made one of these in my 2012 veloster and my 2002 mini cooper. Plywood decks, speakerbox mdf front and supports and used boat carpet and dynamat to finish. Super useful

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So i finally finished. I ended up replacing the wood laminate with some garage tile flooring. It was lighter, more durable, looked better, and has more utility. It took 2 packs of 6. Below are some pictures of the final product. I couldnt find a link online to the right garagedeck flooring i used, but it can be flund at The Home Depot in the carpet/ floor mat section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts