Veloster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Veloster Turbo, automatic, with 11,500 miles on it. I took a road trip yesterday...all interstate driving, and it seemed my turbo stopped working. I made a stop, and while accelerating back onto the interstate, I had no power. I never felt the turbo kick in. The car just wasn't running normally. Once I got up to 75 mph, I stomped the gas to the floor, and nothing happened. The rpm's revved like the car was in neutral, but the car never went any faster. The check engine light never came on. I drove normally the rest of way home. When I began the last trek of my trip, there was steep incline in my neighborhood. I pushed the accelerator to the floor and barely could make it up the hill.

The next morning, I was expecting it to still be the same way, but the car was back to normal. I suspect this problem will happen again. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bring the car in and have it looked at. There are several issues that can cause this to happen. The car is obviously still under warranty, and if it happened once I can almost guarantee it will happen again. Your most likely causes would be an air leak in the turbo system somewhere, or a wastegate problem. Wastegate valves can stick open, crack, the spring can break, or you could even just have a bad turbo. Your catalytic converter could be clogged too.

Dropping it off at the dealer would be easy and free.

Make them give you a loaner car too.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Example dealer visit based on what he said:

"Hi I've been having issues with power after long drives. It almost feels like the turbo isn't spooling. Blah blahblahblah"

"Okay, we will take a look."

-Comes back in an hour later-

"Sorry sir, we scanned your system and no codes have been thrown and we can't replicate the problem. Seems like there isn't anything wrong. That'll be $80."

If the car is normal now, I'd not even bother until a CEL comes up or it starts doing this during your short drives as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Get you an ELM327, they're fairly cheap, like 15 bucks or so. Then you can get a free app such as torque. Then you can see what is happening while it is happening. You can see if you're getting any boost and how much boost you are getting. I don't think your car went into safe mode because you cannot drive that fast in safe mode.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pay close attention to this issue!! I am about to post a thread sharing all the info I have as to whats been going on with my VT for the past 2.5 years in hopes to help some of you out (hopefully no one has to deal with it). Lack of boost has been a huge issue and a constant one at that! It happened predominantly when I was accelerating on an uphill incline usually onto a freeway (usually at about 90kph off an exit picking up speed to 100kph) Coming off the ramp I would be accelerating like normal and then all of a sudden it bogs down and I loose all boost. No turbo sound, engine light to follow. I am able to maintain speed but not accelerate very well. The rest of the trip I almost hear the turbo but it does not seem to actuate at all. Odd times the function would return, other times while the engine light was on (P0299 code) I would get crappy fuel milage and intermittent turbo boosts.

Try and get a code to show, the dealership MUST do something if there is a code. It's a shame they didn't even find anything in the diagnostics when they checked... Still keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My turbo was making an unusual high pitched whining sound Very smooth sounding, no grinding or harshness for the last few days. No power loss and no other symptoms at all. Then yesterday it just stopped. Cant hear anything from the turbo and my power is GONE. Almost feels like the clutch is out except it wont rev past 3 to 4k once I shift to 2nd. Its a 2014 R-Spec. No check engine lights or anything just power loss. No smoke from the exhaust. I have heard something about adjusting the wastegate...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok...so now I do have a nasty sort of metal on metal grating sound. Still no codes of any kind or smoke though. Seems like my turbo has definitely gone bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts