Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be good to hear from the members who have had their car tuned. Could you please let us know?

Who tuned it?
Auto or Manual Transmission?
Custom or Canned?
What were your Bolt-Ons?
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)?
Did you get a second ECU? Approx Cost?
Tuned for what type of gas (87, 89, 91)
Your thoughts of increased performance, lag, Gas mileage?
Would you do it again?

·
Registered
458 Posts
SFR Tune Report

Just thought it would be good to hear from the members who have had their car tuned. Could you please let us know?

Who tuned it?
Custom or Canned?
What were your Bolt-Ons?
Would you do it again?
Hey Seal, several of us had put up our results from our SFR tune on the 20th including myself, but I'll appease you here & let you know once again. It'll be on the lengthy side, but that's not only me "reporting", but an attempt to answer many Q's that members are looking for as well, so here goes....

Several of your Q's can be answered right in my sig.

I DO have one caveat to add to clear something up though. I was doing the R&D for SOLO's HF cat and the Wednesday right before our tune on Saturday I was up to their facility to have 2 things done. 1) was have their production model of the HF cat installed, and 2) I asked if we could quiet it up a tad. Once the "prototype" HF cat was installed the volume of my exhaust had increased a little much for MY liking. (Everyone's different on what they want), especially when getting on it WOT. So we replaced the resonator included in the Mach V 2N1 cat-back w/ the QR-300S which is a little bit more restrictive in order to get the amount of sound I was looking for, and it did do just that. No tone change at all & it took care of the WOT issue as well.

I also had a slightly different scenario which ought to help some members out here on the canned vs. custom tune decision that I can speak on. I had to make a run to SFR's facility the day before we were to get our tune to help out w/ a delivery of an FMIC for Jay/Kyle. In doing them a favor Jay offered me a "taste" of what I'd see/feel the next day by putting the basic canned tune he had on my VT. I accepted obviously, and I couldn't believe the drive-ability difference in my car. The throttle response was fantastic. The hesitation I had been bitching @ several rpm ranges about all along had practically completely disappeared. (85% gone maybe). The power as Jay told me would be @ ~25whp, and I definitely noticed an increase in both HP & torque, BUT I was a bit disappointed in the overall power gains. I was expecting MORE! BUT, still it was nice!!! I only had it for about a 24 hour period so I can only give so much input. I was happy w/ it overall, but as I said, I thought there would have been some better gains, but it WAS a "basic initial canned tune" too. Once again, I can't say enough about the drive-ability improvements though.

With that said, I was actually disappointed in my baseline run. (Jay put my ECU BACK to stock vs. the canned tune he installed the day prior). My output looked poor to say the least, but obviously it had nothing to do w /their tune. I can't say whether the QR-300S had anything to do w/ it either. I will add though, I did idle her w/ the AC on for ~10 minutes ~an hour prior to going on the dyno-jet. I'm thinking that had something to do w/ the two small puddles of unspent fuel on the floor below my tips. Possibly even lowering my baseline run?/?/? I DO realize that every car is going to be different in it's output right off the factory floor, but even w/ my mods, I'd have thought she would have been better than it was.

Use GOOD 93 (Premium) FUEL!!! The car that went 1st had issues. The first thing noticed was since we had to wait for Jay to get there, there were actually two baseline runs ~ 15 minutes apart form each other done on his car. Between the two runs his car actually lost (-10whp) - TEN WHP!!! Once the tuning began, two problems were eventually identified. 1) He "claimed" he used 91, but maybe he got some bad gas - we don't know. Jay had a hard time getting a decent tune on his vehicle. There were a "bunch" (23 if I recall) of runs done trying to get it right. So, 2) His intercooler was obviously heat soaked big time. Jay got it the best that he could and offered the guy to NOT pay him after a test drive if he wasn't happy w/ it. (Good customer service effort). He was happy & went on his way.

MY TURN... I ran a tank-1/2 of 93 octane prior: After my baseline run, Jay did an initial tune & she gained nicely, but NOT perfect. He tweaked it once again & the chart looked great. The power band didn't have the peaks & valleys as earlier and pretty much straight across the board. The rev limiter was increased from 6800 to 7200 rpm. We were happy & that was it for mine. 30 minutes total time.

After several others went, I noticed anywhere from 10-20whp baseline differences from MY car. I was pissed! BUT, they all had at least one thing in common that I didn't. An aftermarket FMIC on all of them that I witnessed, and some of them w/ a down-pipe vs. my HF cat as well. This is a testament to the FMIC's for sure. I honestly DIDN'T think that there would actually be whp gains from an FMIC, but I can attest that it truly does now. After seeing what I did, I KNOW I'm going that way when I can afford it. The cool side of the intercooler could actually be touched and felt like warm bath water AFTER the dyno runs. AMAZING! No way would I even attempt to try that "test" out w/ my stock IC.

It appeared to me that EVERYONE was getting pretty much the same gains across the board regardless of where the baseline runs were at, or the ending result after the CUSTOM tune. I'll speak of my own here since I don't have a listing of the other cars that ran & don't want to cut any of them short on their numbers. I had 40whp & 39.8 ft lbs torque GAINS from my custom tune. 40-40 Club :eek:

When I took her out for a quick test drive the very 1st thing you notice is again, the drive-ability improvements were simply amazing. I can't stress that enough. Power gains were VERY noticeable as well. No lag!. The annoying hesitation I was experiencing prior is gone. Remember please, it 's NOT just about the numbers entirely that you should be looking for. The overall drive-ability actually has more meaning to me, and it's an awesome result. I mean, if you spend ~$1,000 on an intake and an exhaust you only get +x-whp gains. For the money ($500) + dyno time for a custom tune and getting the gains I got & saw others get, you CAN'T get that increased output gain w/ ANY bolt-ons as you can get w/ a good performance tune IMO. The speed limiter was eliminated too, but I haven't had much of a chance to check that out thoroughly. I have had her up to ~125mph, but I haven't checked the top end yet. I did embarrass a slightly older Honda on my drive home though! ;) MPG's ARE DOWN right now. (Using the dash as a reference - I know..... -4.5 mpg's). I noticed that w/ the canned tune, and again w/ the custom. I spoke to Jay about that as well. His answer to me was the car HAS to go through an entire cycle (~3-400 miles or a GOOD week's worth of driving) before I notice any gains in MPG's. Unfortunately, I'm still in that cycle since I haven't gotten enough driving time in last week & this week as I wished I could have. So, I can't give a full report there yet. I will update once I see later on.

For the record, I was asking Jay several Q's while I could too. Mainly, will I need to get another tune if I replace the IC? His answer was simple, ANY bolt-ons you add AFTER a tune will NOT affect the tune & you don't really need to get another. If you do a major upgrade (inside) YES, you'll need one then.

SFR didn't have any extra ECU's available at the time of my tune. They WILL be available soon if not already. And I believe they are ~$250.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY, no question there!

I hope I covered everything that you were looking for Seal.

I know other members should be encouraged in getting a performance tune at some point from MY experience alone. I'm sure others will add to my report & that'll only reinforce what I've already said.

If I had to make a recommendation on a canned tune vs. a custom tune, for the + $50, it's a no brainer IF you can attend an event. If you can't, and as time progresses, I'm sure Jay will be refining the basic canned tune & that'll yield great increased performance for those that have to go that route as well. Just not quite as much as the custom provides IMO.

I will add one more thing, unfortunately there were NO NAV's, nor VT-AT's at this event.

OVERALL I HAVE to give SFR's Custom Tune a big thumbs UP! Especially for the money and gains increased.... "compared" to the same $ spent on bolt-ons, it's HUGE!

Good luck gang in whatever you chose to do, "JUST DO IT". Sorry Nike....

ENJOY . . . . Bob

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Wow!!! Awesome write up...How would I go about doing this if my VT is my daily driver & I live in Miami? You live in PA, so you can slide by there, program, test & adjust if need be. I'm guessing I would have to buy a New ECU & ship it to them, which is the proper way of doing it anyways. Also thanks for adding the part about if you do any Mods after you get reprogrammed. Very helpful tip! So basically with approx $500 including new ECU +50 for custom upgrade will get us approx 40 whp? Just making sure I'm clear ;) Thanks again!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wow!!! Awesome write up...How would I go about doing this if my VT is my daily driver & I live in Miami? You live in PA, so you can slide by there, program, test & adjust if need be. I'm guessing I would have to buy a New ECU & ship it to them, which is the proper way of doing it anyways. Also thanks for adding the part about if you do any Mods after you get reprogrammed. Very helpful tip! So basically with approx $500 including new ECU +50 for custom upgrade will get us approx 40 whp? Just making sure I'm clear ;) Thanks again!
Not quite what I tried to say... The Custom Tune was $500. The $50 I referenced was the difference in a custom & canned tune ($450).

And YES!!! +40whp indeed w/ a custom tune that you would need to have the car at an event to get done. They WILL & DO travel for tuning events.

Get 10 cars & a dyno together & they'll usually come to you.

An extra ECU is ~$250 additional cost. If you bought it from SFR they could put a canned tune on it BEFOER they ship it to you & all you'd need to do is swap out your stock ECU w/ the one from SFR.

Sorry if I was misleading or not clear there. You can always double check the pricing on SFR's web site or FB page for clarification & email Jay Kim to setup a possible event.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just saw this posting http://www.veloster.org/forum/43-northwest/15874-sfr-nor-cal-vt-tunning-event.html if you'd be interested. A little bit of driving for you, but you can get your custom tune fairly soon this way if you want. Just thought I'd share that info in case you didn't see it.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Who tuned it? Seoulful Racing
Auto or Manual Transmission? Manual
Custom or Canned? Canned
What were your Bolt-Ons? Injen SRI, Solo catback with resonator
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)? Didnt dyno. Tight schedule with lots of other cars there
Approx Cost? $450 USD paid via PayPal
Tuned for what type of gas 91
Your thoughts of increased performance, lag, Gas mileage? See below
Would you do it again? Yes. I will probably do a custom tune with a second ECU once I have some more mods (intercooler)

Im very satisfied with the tune. I did the basic canned tune for 91 octane gas. The car is very responsive now. No initial lag like the stock tune and/or those with an SRI. It begins pulling around 3000rpms and pulls strong right till redline. I didnt feel any flat spots or spikes through the revs either.

Jay did mention that if I put lower grade gas into the car, the ECU will compensate and that performance will suffer. He also said that if lower grade gas is used, just to take it easy on the car. He also said that if tuned for regular gas, it will probably lose about 10hp. Jay also recommended switching to colder plugs and mentioned what kind, but I forgot lol.

Only issue Im feeling/noticing is that the stock BPV flutters real good at around 3500rpm when under heavy throttle. Im adding a Forge within the next few days to remedy the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Who tuned it? SFR
DCTor Manual Transmission? Auto
Custom or Canned? Canned
What were your Bolt-Ons? Currently: Solo Performance Exhaust and AEM Intake
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)? None done
Did you get a second ECU? Approx Cost? Nope
Tuned for what type of gas (87, 89, 91) 87
Your thoughts of increased performance, lag, Gas mileage? much less lag and the car hauls ass when you floor it. Not sure about mileage yet
Would you do it again? Very much so

·
Registered
458 Posts
Who tuned it? Seoulful Racing
Auto or Manual Transmission? Manual
Custom or Canned? Canned
What were your Bolt-Ons? Injen SRI, Solo catback with resonator
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)? Didnt dyno. Tight schedule with lots of other cars there
Approx Cost? $450 USD paid via PayPal
Tuned for what type of gas 91
Your thoughts of increased performance, lag, Gas mileage? See below
Would you do it again? Yes. I will probably do a custom tune with a second ECU once I have some more mods (intercooler)

Im very satisfied with the tune. I did the basic canned tune for 91 octane gas. The car is very responsive now. No initial lag like the stock tune and/or those with an SRI. It begins pulling around 3000rpms and pulls strong right till redline. I didnt feel any flat spots or spikes through the revs either.

Jay did mention that if I put lower grade gas into the car, the ECU will compensate and that performance will suffer. He also said that if lower grade gas is used, just to take it easy on the car. He also said that if tuned for regular gas, it will probably lose about 10hp. Jay also recommended switching to colder plugs and mentioned what kind, but I forgot lol.

Only issue Im feeling/noticing is that the stock BPV flutters real good at around 3500rpm when under heavy throttle. Im adding a Forge within the next few days to remedy the problem.
MTD: The colder plugs that you mentioned. Were they the NGK Iridium's by chance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey has anyone had their SFR tune shipped to them on a second ECU? I'm curious as to the amount of time you had to wait between ordering and delivery of the product.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey has anyone had their SFR tune shipped to them on a second ECU? I'm curious as to the amount of time you had to wait between ordering and delivery of the product.
About 4-5 people on the turbo forum have ordered them on new ECUs. People put them in and noticed no differences at all so they had to go back to SFR who later stated they sent out units with incomplete tunes so everyone is now having to send them all back to SFR.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
HEy so i got tuned by tork and noticing the same flutter mine is under 3000 rpm if the gear is too high it flutters like if im going 20 mph in fourth gear and try to floor itll flutter i think that is normal for theses car like the gens do as well. If you downshift then floor you prob wont hear it anymore yes its annoying. Tork i believe told me its prob because of the solenoid or something and he told me i shouldnt worry about it. getting those ngks today if you ever fix that flutter lemme know! I heard the synapses kit will fix that flutter so look into that before you buy a bov!!! if it isnt too late haha

·
Registered
207 Posts
Who tuned it? TORK MOTORSPORTS
Auto or Manual Transmission? Auto Transmission
Custom or Canned? Custom
What were your Bolt-Ons? Resonator Delete Pipe, K&N Typhoon Intake
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)? 169whp/165wtq pre, 215whp/205wtq post +46whp/+40wtq
Did you get a second ECU? Approx Cost? Spare ECU. 500 for tune, ~425 for ECU
Tuned for what type of gas (87, 89, 91) 93 Octane

Lag is completely gone. The only time there is a lag, and part of the reason is I'm light on the throttle, is when the car is still cool and hasn't had time to warm up complete. Don't get me wrong, I never start and drive unless the car is still warm, but I do drive it "lightfootedly' until the car warms up sufficiently. Gas mileage is still debatable for two reasons. One is that it was a 3 hour drive and our nose is such a drag at higher speeds (75mph and car was reporting 34MPG even after several WOTs. However, at 80mph, the car reported about 28mpg). Secondly, I am currently suffering from LFD (Lead Foot Disease) of which there is no cure, however, it can go into remission at anytime but come back without warning. Over all, however, I would say gas mileage has increased due to proper fuel and air mixture fixed from the tune. Our cars ran RICH off the showroom floor, hence the "soot" from the exhaust. This is how the VT should have felt coming off the showroom floor!

Would you do it again? ​YES

·
Registered
207 Posts
HEy so i got tuned by tork and noticing the same flutter mine is under 3000 rpm if the gear is too high it flutters like if im going 20 mph in fourth gear and try to floor itll flutter i think that is normal for theses car like the gens do as well. If you downshift then floor you prob wont hear it anymore yes its annoying. Tork i believe told me its prob because of the solenoid or something and he told me i shouldnt worry about it. getting those ngks today if you ever fix that flutter lemme know! I heard the synapses kit will fix that flutter so look into that before you buy a bov!!! if it isnt too late haha
I have the flutter too, but it only does it at about 70-75% throttle. WOT or in heavy stop-n-go traffic, no problem. I just need to get longer hoses for my FMIC and clear out the burs in the piping and get it installed with the BOV and I'm thinking it will get rid of the flutter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Who tuned it? TORK MOTORSPORTS
Auto or Manual Transmission? Auto Transmission
Custom or Canned? Custom
What were your Bolt-Ons? Resonator Delete Pipe, K&N Typhoon Intake
HP/TQ Dyno results (If you have them)? 169whp/165wtq pre, 215whp/205wtq post +46whp/+40wtq
Did you get a second ECU? Approx Cost? Spare ECU. 500 for tune, ~425 for ECU
Tuned for what type of gas (87, 89, 91) 93 Octane

Lag is completely gone. The only time there is a lag, and part of the reason is I'm light on the throttle, is when the car is still cool and hasn't had time to warm up complete. Don't get me wrong, I never start and drive unless the car is still warm, but I do drive it "lightfootedly' until the car warms up sufficiently. Gas mileage is still debatable for two reasons. One is that it was a 3 hour drive and our nose is such a drag at higher speeds (75mph and car was reporting 34MPG even after several WOTs. However, at 80mph, the car reported about 28mpg). Secondly, I am currently suffering from LFD (Lead Foot Disease) of which there is no cure, however, it can go into remission at anytime but come back without warning. Over all, however, I would say gas mileage has increased due to proper fuel and air mixture fixed from the tune. Our cars ran RICH off the showroom floor, hence the "soot" from the exhaust. This is how the VT should have felt coming off the showroom floor!

Would you do it again? ​YES
I was reading the reviews of other tunes ( I'm not trying to offend) but I was like huh ? I'm not real familiar with SFR tunes.. Then I read your tune and I'm like yea ! I just am very familiar with the work and R & D and sheer persistence and dedication the TM has put into the VT tunes. So I'm obvious a little partial. Like I said however, I'm not familiar SFR ...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Who tuned it?
Tork Stage 1

Manual

Custom or Canned?
Custom

What were your Bolt-Ons?
Injen SRI, 845 FMIC standard core stock BOV, 845 catless DP, stock exhaust

242 whp, 277 wtq

no

Loving it overall, quicker of the line although its still not a 1/4 car. Rolling start will eat some s*** up. gas mileage is still great depending on how you drive, cruise contol at 70 32pmg +, get on it at WOT do to under 24mpg real quick

Would you do it again?
yes but i would of liked to have a second ecu to keep all the stock factory information for warranty purposes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's a 2013 with Tork stage 1 tune a/t image.jpg
Who tuned it? Tork
Auto Transmission?
Custom
What were your Bolt-Ons? Sri Tork pipe
Did you get a second ECU?no
Approx Cost? $500
Tuned for what type of gas (91)