Veloster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I still go with MDM on it, even though you make a bit of sense, and here's why

I have no room to talk on the mods. I know that. What I'm trying to avoid is someone dropping money on something that seems irrelevant at this point. To me doing something like a reflash rather than a full bolt-on tune seems more affordable and practical for his car. Why have a car with a base 200 HP with no sort of performance modifications get a $700 tune that will give you max 40HP, when you could go get a used car with a better engine with the same tuned HP for the same cost? Go get a WRX or a Focus ST because those brand new cost almost the same as a Velo Rally, within $5k of each other, and the ST is base 50 HP more, and the WRX is almost 100 more

So right there with the ST you already have more HP, at almost the same weight

I say return the Velo and get one of those if you want better HP for your buck
Let me clarify. I saw a used 2016 Rally Edition at a dealer when we were buying our daughter her first car. I told the salesman how I thought it was a sweet looking car. While we were waiting he drove it up and said let's take it for a ride. I loved it, the look, the feel, everything. It was really unique in its appearance and the matte blue paint really stuck out. So the came first. If I wanted raw power I'd go get a Mustang GT350 or Challenger RT. But I like the look of the VRE so I picked one up. I figured I'd try to squeeze a little more out of it. We live in California where smog restrictions are extremely strict so I'm trying to avoid storing all the stock parts in my garage so I can revert the car to stock at smog time. I have 3 kids and a wife in law school. As such my free time is extremely limited. I'm looking to add 35-50hp in a way that won't have me taking stuff apart every few years. If it's not feasible so be it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Get a tune. You will get the gains you're looking for. I recommend Eurocharged. It's not on their website but they do tune the Veloster.
Nice. I was always under the assumption getting a tune was for after you've added aftermarket crap and wanted the car to be "calibrated" for it. Wasn't aware it improves the car in stock trim. Have to add that to my list.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Okay so after further research into this, I still believe you should put some other upgrades in order to make a tune more worth it, but if you're dead set on tuning, go over to Sxth Element and get the Stage 0 tune. Specifically made for stock - lightly modded vehicles, so your car fits that bill very nicely. Here's a link for your information:

Stage 0 Tune (Hyundai Veloster Turbo)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I emailed Eurocharged, he said he can do a tune for my stock Veloster for $650. He said "You will see tremendous gains of about 70hp/90trq" and attached a dyno chart showing the difference:

Not to cast aspersions, but I'm a little dubious of that. It seems like an awful lot of gains for simply tuning a stock vehicle. But then, I know **** all about tuning so maybe that's normal. Does a tune adjust the boost? I have no desire to ratchet up boost as I don't want to have to replace my internals and I'd rather not gamble on a "you'll be fine" assurance otherwise lol.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Those dyno numbers are for a stock tuned VT and they are accurate.

Also, a tune will bump up the boost and adjust the throttle response and so on. It won't hurt anything and if it does, no need to worry. Eurocharged has a warranty on their tunes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That 70hp and 90tq are probably for full bolt ons but you could probably net around 40whp with just a tune... which is still way more than full bolt ons.
Wow. I'm surprised if one can get 40 HP with a tune alone why Hyundai doesn't do that default.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow. I'm surprised if one can get 40 HP with a tune alone why Hyundai doesn't do that default.
It is possible that Hyundai limits performance somewhat to meet fuel consumption or emissions goals. Still, 20% increase in HP only by tuning the ECU seems a bit to good to be true.

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Better believe it, son.

There is a gentleman on the other forums, who also came over here for a short bit, named murdered out VT. His car was 100% stock and he tuned it himself. He was hitting 210whp, which is 40whp over stock.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts