Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Veloster Rally Edition and so far having a blast. I'd like to increase its power without voiding the warranty or requiring I dismantle a bunch of stuff at smog time. Can some one point me to some resources or articles that explain some of the concepts or tell me what they've found success with?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Welcome. Where are you located? That might make a difference (as in California is very strict while other states may not be).

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I just picked up a Veloster Rally Edition and so far having a blast. I'd like to increase its power without voiding the warranty or requiring I dismantle a bunch of stuff at smog time. Can some one point me to some resources or articles that explain some of the concepts or tell me what they've found success with?
Thanks.
Seems like you want to remain stock. Modifying a vehicle runs the risk of having your warranty claims denied. So....don't?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like you want to remain stock. Modifying a vehicle runs the risk of having your warranty claims denied. So....don't?
That was my nr the question. Is there something I can "plug in" and at smog time remove and be back to stock?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tunes aren't the only way to increase power you know... just do some research on here and the interwebs before you go throwing money into something you wouldn't need for a stock car (i.e tune)

Tunes are more practical for cars with moderate to heavy performance mods, such as exhaust, intakes, anything that messes with the stock levels that are programmed into the ECU. Ian (tuns) is extremely knowledgable in the performance aspect of these cars, so he knows best. Just throwing my opinion out there. I don't think a tune is what you should look into at the moment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to increase performance with minimal hardware modification. Because having to undo it a at smog time will be a real pain. CA is way too strict.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good lord. $700 for a tune? I guess I'm spoiled. I haven't paid for a tune in like 6 years and have had about 15 of them. lol
I looked around for Veloster stuff and stuff was sparse. I've seen stuff that is supposed to fit in e every car for $50 but I don't trust it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but at the same time I feel a tune on a stock car is not worth it like it would be on a modded car. I wouldn't get a tune in the first place. What you need is someone who can reflash the ECU (or buy a spare and have that reflashed) just in order to get the octane change, etc. A full tune is a waste of money on a stock car because you have nothing that needs tuned. All stock internals are already "tuned" by the stock ECU so you wouldn't be changing anything on a full tune

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
By that argument, modding your car at all is a waste of money. If he were to tune his car now, it would cost him whatever the going rate is. Once he adds all his bolt ons, he can get it re-tuned for ~$100. Besides, getting a tune when stock will make your car faster than a car with full bolt ons and no tune. Whats the better buy here?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I still go with MDM on it, even though you make a bit of sense, and here's why

I have no room to talk on the mods. I know that. What I'm trying to avoid is someone dropping money on something that seems irrelevant at this point. To me doing something like a reflash rather than a full bolt-on tune seems more affordable and practical for his car. Why have a car with a base 200 HP with no sort of performance modifications get a $700 tune that will give you max 40HP, when you could go get a used car with a better engine with the same tuned HP for the same cost? Go get a WRX or a Focus ST because those brand new cost almost the same as a Velo Rally, within $5k of each other, and the ST is base 50 HP more, and the WRX is almost 100 more

So right there with the ST you already have more HP, at almost the same weight

I say return the Velo and get one of those if you want better HP for your buck

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
Go upside-down or spend $700. Pick your poison. He's already got this car so I say if he is dead set on tuning it and leaving the car stock, more power to him. It's actually a smart way to go about it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts