Veloster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 2013 Veloster Turbo. Some time ago I had an engine replacement deal that fell through, so I decided to go the engine repair/enhancement route.

I am looking for a tuner to accommodate a stage 2 Ko3 Upgraded Turbo (Stuffed Turbo) and Kdm Tuners 1.6 Gamma G4fj Engine Build Kit, both from KDM Tuners. The problem is I can't find a tuner that can help me pass a New York state emissions test and New York State inspection. Below is a list of tuners I have reached out to without success. Does anyone have any tuners they can recommend?

845 Motorsports: 1 incomplete response after 5 tries in 6 months
SXTH Element: will not tune because they say New York State considers their tuning "illegal"
qwik tyme: unfortunately, very sick with covid
Tork Motorsports: no response

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
would you be able to get the updated engine and put your stock turbo on it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good question, I'm not sure. I do believe you can put the stock turbo on the upgraded engine because the description of the upgraded engine doesn't say "will not work with stock turbo" :).

It just seems like it the kit increases horsepower capacity/tolerance for the stock engine without needing anything else special, like a different turbo. The only machining required seems to be for the ARP Upgraded Main studs ("You will have to have your block drilled, fitted with Time Serts, and Align Honed.")

KDM Tuners did not say the upgraded engine kit needed any tuning, only the upgraded turbos they offer.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,905 Posts
that is what i was getting at... you could get it running legal and smogged then buy the upgraded turbo later when a tuner will work with you.

its a bit ridiculous to me that they care about emissions when there are so many rotted wrecks in ny state, lol

Reactions: misnblu

·
Administrator
4,593 Posts
You might try Sam at BTR in IL

·
Registered
'15 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
14 Posts
that is what i was getting at... you could get it running legal and smogged then buy the upgraded turbo later when a tuner will work with you.

its a bit ridiculous to me that they care about emissions when there are so many rotted wrecks in ny state, lol
When I lived in California there was and still is so much that's not smog or Carb legal, but it's not illegal, typically, to install or mod, so you get this weird mesh of shops & tuners that either won't do it or they say sign this saying you know that it's not legal for whatever reason so the shops not liable.

I do think overall your idea is sounds. Smog it then tune/build it. I mean that's what I would probably do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the suggestion nvyseal!

I'm hesitant to buy the parts first and then find a tuner because the dollar amount is so high; I'd much rather find a tuner before I buy anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts