Veloster Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 veloster base w/ backup camera std eqiup. trunk switch took a dump today. found replacements online that are not OEM, with/without camera. i suspect i need the one with camera that has the 2 wire connectors and appears to be a bit bigger than the non camera version. are these replacements any good and is the one with the camera the switch i need? it looks like its pretty simple to install an i guess i should have some of the 8mm clips on hand. is there a DIY here for doing a replacement or any tips someone may toss at me b4 i commit to ordering stuff or should i go to stealership? thanks in advance for assistance.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What does that mean ?? "took a dump" And going OEM is always advisable when dealing with parts such as you are discussing.

·
Registered
07 WRX, 70 VW Fastback
605 Posts
I used one from rockauto with no issues for 3 years with the car outside. If you have the backup camera buy that one, if not but the nonbackup camera version

Reactions: oni888

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,683 Posts
just need a little time and patience. a few sockets, trim remover. screwdriver.

Reactions: oni888

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does that mean ?? "took a dump" And going OEM is always advisable when dealing with parts such as you are discussing.
the switch crumbled and got pushed up into the housing. im gonna price an OEM one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used one from rockauto with no issues for 3 years with the car outside. If you have the backup camera buy that one, if not but the nonbackup camera version
yep, have the backup camera. i have used Rock Auto before, pretty decent company.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,683 Posts
yep, fold the seats down, flip up the cargo cover and should be easy to find. it's basically right behind the button on the inside lol

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep, fold the seats down, flip up the cargo cover and should be easy to find. it's basically right behind the button on the inside lol
yep, found it by looking at wifes car. her switch still ok. how do you work it? all i have is a narrow slot that you cant get a finger into with the plastic around it marked that its the release with an arrow pointing to the left. inside the slot looks like a small metal tab. do i push down or something on it with a little screwdriver? kinda weird setup for something thats supposed to be an "emergency" release in case someone gets stuck in the trunk. dealer quoted over 300.00 and i just found an OEM switch at walmart for 29.00 so it looks like im gonna do it myself.

·
Registered
07 WRX, 70 VW Fastback
605 Posts
I stuck my key in there to slid it left (it's a medium effort) definitely not like a sedan emergency release.

·
Registered
2012 Orange NA, with grand aspirations of becoming a Turbo
26 Posts
Is the 2016 the exact same as the 2013. I just replaced the switch in mine, used a eBay switch for about £12. Took about a month to come from Korea. Took a spanner and a screwdriver to fix.
I'll try and take some photos and document the process as I strip my donor car this weekend.
I busted mine trying to open the boot while locked with an entire IKEA Kallax 5*5 unit inside. Had to empty it out through the driver's door before being able to open the boot from the inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the 2016 the exact same as the 2013. I just replaced the switch in mine, used a eBay switch for about £12. Took about a month to come from Korea. Took a spanner and a screwdriver to fix.
I'll try and take some photos and document the process as I strip my donor car this weekend.
I busted mine trying to open the boot while locked with an entire IKEA Kallax 5*5 unit inside. Had to empty it out through the driver's door before being able to open the boot from the inside.
wife and i took care of it already. got the $29.00 OEM switch from Walmart and had it in and working within an hour. next one we should be able to do in half hour or less!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
thanks for all the tips. wife and i successfully replaced the switch. took about an hour and figure we can do the next one in a half hour or less.
Be a good fellow and post all the necessary information for the next person that has the same problem you had. Post parts numbers and all the relevant information. Thanks :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts