Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the dealer about changing the transmission fluid in my manual transmission and they told me manual transmissions do not need replacing is this true?

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
yes it certainly needs to be replaced!

what is your year and model?

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 68 VW Beetle, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
35 Posts
no fluids last forever, type should be SAE 75W/85, API GL-4. If I remember correctly it's 2 quarts.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I called the dealer about changing the transmission fluid in my manual transmission and they told me manual transmissions do not need replacing is this true?
It sure does need replacement. About 2 quarts of 75W-85 gear oil at around 80,000 to -90,000 miles.

Scotty says...

"If they say the fluid will last the lifetime of your car. It's because if you don't change the fluid the lifetime won't be that long..."
Scotty Kilmer is a biased, ham-fisted mechanic. Only believe about half of what he says. The half that are facts, not the half that is opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Scotty Kilmer is a biased, ham-fisted mechanic. Only believe about half of what he says. The half that are facts, not the half that is opinion.
LOL. I agree with this. His fans love him. But he's full of crap half the time.

I will stand by Eric at South Main Auto though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sure does need replacement. About 2 quarts of 75W-85 gear oil at around 80,000 to -90,000 miles.

She is at 68,000 right now.so wait till 80,000 ?

·
Registered
512 Posts
What year is the car? Is that 68,000 miles or kilometers?

If you are taking the car in for other work to get done, it won't hurt to do that trans oil now as well. But if all you were going to do is the trans oil, you can wait until 80,000 or even 90,000 miles (130,000-140,000 km).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year is the car? Is that 68,000 miles or kilometers?

If you are taking the car in for other work to get done, it won't hurt to do that trans oil now as well. But if all you were going to do is the trans oil, you can wait until 80,000 or even 90,000 miles (130,000-140,000 km).
2013 , 68,000 km

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL. I agree with this. His fans love him. But he's full of crap half the time.

I will stand by Eric at South Main Auto though...
MT velosters use splash lubrication. Not as critical as ATF. My 2002 mazdaspeed protege 5 speed has 120,000 miles with no fluid change. It won't hurt to change it, and its not that expensive so personally I would do it. I think the objection to Scotty is based more on the fact that he hates GDI engines, turbos, and DCT transmissions. And I agree with each of those assessments. All of these are complex and will increase likelihood of failure at some time, perhaps after the 10/100000 warranty is up. Scotty is looking at long term reliability, as Consumer Reports does. For a large amount of people that is the most important aspect of car ownership. For others, which are power mad and desire the latest tech with all the additional risks which come with it, go for it! If it fails, then Hyundai will replace these parts (except for the carbon build up on the valves). Your choice! The veloster is not a 93 Celica, but I doubt seriously any of these velosters will last as long as his celica.
Everyone has a different threshold of pain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
All lubricants break down or fail at some point. I changed the oil in my DCT at 30,000 miles. Even though Hyundai suggest a much longer duration. What I found was about 2 tablespoons of water in the oil. Water will kill ANY lubricants and cause mechanical failure. There is absolutely no requirement to go longer nor anything other than cost to go shorter. I did my own transmission change at the cost of about $30 with a high premium synthetic aftermarket product. DO NOT just use regular gear oil in either the full manual transmission or the computer-controlled manual they call the DCT as the pressures on these transmissions (and front differential) are very high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Veloster naturally aspirated and I'm currently at 219000 miles on the same transmission fluid or should I say gear oil... I have a DCT though... I've owned my car for almost four years and attempted to change the fluid at around a hundred thousand miles but could not find any information and the local shop wanted to charge me $600 because they didn't know anything about Hyundai's DCT... There was YouTube videos back then of the manual but not the DCT fluid change... So I'm currently on the same transmission fluid since I've purchase the car and it had 40,000 miles on it when I purchased it and like I said I'm at 219000... I did however have to cut my cat's cuz they got clogged and I have a few other bolt ons but it's still my daily driver

·
Registered
2012 Veloster NA, 71 VW Type 3 Fastback, 68 VW Beetle, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
35 Posts
I did successfully replace my DCT fluid on my 2012. I'd have to find the thread/image from the Factory manual that shows the correct plugs to drain and fill/measure from.
IIRC the DCT uses GL-4 or GL-4+ Gear lube instead of ATF. I used Liqui Moly 20012 SAE 75W-90 GL-4 Gear Oil and have had 40k of trouble-free miles.

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts