Veloster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the suggestions and comments and the nice products the Vendors Provide.

I posted the following story in the Dealer Blacklist Section on the Turbo Forum too, but it is why I am no longer a VT Owner. I wish you all the best of luck. I will be taking pics of my Items that I took off the car today and posting them up for sale later tonight. Some of you guys contacted me about items and I am sorry for the delay, but I have been so busy dealing with car stuff and work schedule.

So here is Why I no longer own a VT:

Day Hyundai
7000 Mall Road, Morgantown WV, 26501
304-983-2277

11/20/14 - 12/4/14

1st: Steve (Dealership Service Writer) 2nd: Michelle (Dealership Warranty Administrator) 3rd: Rich (Dealership Service Manager) 4th: Cyril (Eastern Region Representative)

Problem: Massive Oil Leak from Rear Main Seal

Dealer Diagnosis: Motor Blown, Requested Replacement Motor

On 11/19/2014 I drove my car the 45 minute Commute from Home to Work. When I got to work, I noticed a slight smell of Oil inside the cabin. I popped the hood and got out of and took a look. A quick visual showed me nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the dipstick and it showed no oil. I was shocked by this, so I checked again, with the same result. So I took a closer look at the engine compartment, I looked behind the motor and saw the oil pooled up on the cross-member. At this point there wasn't much I could do since I was starting my shift. I had to come in the next day for a shot Training so I decided I would deal with it then.

So I get to work early the next morning, driving my wife's car. At first I was just going to have it towed to my buddies garage and do the work myself due to the mods. I called Hyundai Roadside assistance and they said they would only tow to a dealer. I decided at that point if worse came to worse it's a shorter tow from the dealer to my buddies, so I had it towed to Day Hyundai in Morgantown, Where I bought it brand new 18 months ago.

After waiting a few Hours for Hyundai Roadside to get there, we got it loaded and towed to the Dealer.

It was about 3:30PM when we got it unloaded at Day. I went in and talked to Steve, I told him the issue and took him outside and showed him where the oil was and told him I was pretty sure it was the Rear Main Seal. I wanted to make it a point to show him my mods at the time. Air Intake, Catch Can, BOV, exhaust. Steve said "We aren't worried about bolt on's, we just worry about Modifications to the programming of the ECU or Engine Internals" I told Steve that I had not done either, which I haven't, I said what you see is what I have. He reassured me that they would get to the bottom of it and not worry. I said that's good because if so I was just going to town it then to my buddies garage and not even fool with the Dealer. Since it was a Friday and around quitting time Steve said I wouldn't hear anything until probably Monday. He gave me a Loaner Veloster so I wasn't really worried about the time-frame, since I was pretty re-assured by what he said about it getting covered. Steve Also told me he was a fellow VT Enthusiast who owned a Turbo as well, He told me he looked at the forums but wasn't registered. We chatted for a few more minutes about VT stuff, so at this point I was even more re-assured.

So fast forward to Monday the 24th, I was working 8a - 8p, it was around 1pm and I hadn't heard anything so I called the Dealer. I asked for Steve, but he was on Vacation, I got Michelle, the Dealers Warranty Administrator. She was basically IMO Totally Dumb when it comes to cars. She told me I was looking at a Major Engine Failure and that the car had a massive oil leak and there was oil in the coolant jug. I told her I was pretty sure the Rear Main was out, but I was surprised they are calling it an engine failure because the car ran and drove with not issues and it never got Hot. Se said the Tech's were requesting an Engine Replacement from Hyundai and they had to take pictures of everything on the car, including failures and Mod's and submit it to Hyundai for approval and it was on Hyundai now on weather it was to be covered or not. At this point I had a feeling on where this was going, so I didn't get my hopes up.

The next day comes 11/25, I am at work and I get a call from Michelle to tell me that Hyundai has denied repairs due to Mods. I went back and forth with her about my conversation with Steve and such, she did not care and was oblivious. She said "well I will give you Hyundai's number and you can talk to them" So I got the customer care number and called Hyundai. Now if you haven't called the Customer Care line yet, which I hadn't, I learned that they are basically powerless to do anything. The lady I talked to was nice and offered me more insight than Michelle at the Dealer. Diane was the lady I talked to first at Customer care (I didn't list the 20 or so customer care people above, because they aren't really relevant to decision making) So Diane told me Hyundai denied because of my "Digital Tuner / Power Programmer" and "Modified Turbocharger". I was floored at this point because Neither of those Items have been done to my car. Diane told me that Hyundai bases the Decision on what the Dealer Submits and I needed to talk to them. I let her know that Michelle said it wasn't up to them, it was up to Hyundai. She suggested I talk to the Service Manager. So I get off the phone with her and by that time it was 5:15 PM so I figured the Service Department was closed, but I called any way and yep, they were closed.

The next day, first thing I called the and talked to Rich the service manager. Rich said that they didn't say I had a "Digital Tuner" or "Modified Turbo" He said he simply took pictures of everything and Hyundai made that decision. I went back and forth with him about it and he said it was all out of his hands. He said I needed to talk to Hyundai. I told him I did and They told me to talk to him. So instead of wasting more of my time, I called Hyundai back. The girl I talked to then said she would refer it to the Eastern District office for review and someone would contact me in 3-5 days. Well with thanksgiving coming up I knew it was going to be a while. I still had the dealer loaner car and I wasn't going to give it back until I had an answer.

Well the Holiday goes by and I still hear nothing. I start calling again on 11/28 and I get nowhere because everyone is off at the eastern region from 11/26 to 12/1.

I almost forgot to mention that after talking to customer care on 11/26 I called the dealer back and talked to Rich, he said they would do everything they could and re-submit the claim to Hyundai for approval. Now keep in mind what I said above about everyone at Hyundai being off those days.

12/1 rolls around and I am on my way to Pittsburgh of an Appointment. Michelle from the dealer calls me to ask when I am bringing the loaner back. I replied with when my car gets fixed. She said you have been denied, I said yeah you said that the other day and I am waiting for Hyundai to get back to me or you about the case. She said didn't you get my message? I said what message? (Now I only have one phone number and that is the only number I gave them) She said yeah we re-submitted and it's still denied. (at this point I did not know that Hyundai was off from 11/26 to 12/1) But it being 12/1 and it taking a few days before to get a "No" I didn't know any better ( I still doubt that they re-submitted anything or tried to do anything at all)

I told her I would bring it back on 12/2 and get the car towed out of there. The more I thought about it more pissed I got about getting the run around. So I called Rich the service manger and he told me he would like the loaner back as soon as possible, but said he would let me use it another day or at least till Hyundai region called me back. So After calling Hyundai Customer care a few dozen more times and getting nowhere and Blowing up their twitter (they replied immediately on twitter, which I thought was funny and followed me directly for a message @AaronWilsonShow)

12/3, It's 10AM and I get a call From Cyril at the eastern region. Cyril was clueless as to why he was even calling me wanting to know where the problem was, He said you are denied because of Mods. I went back and forth as to how does he think and intake and exhaust can cause a Rear Main Seal to blow. He said they wouldn't, but my "Modified Turbo" and "Digital Tuner" Would. I said that's funny because I have neither of those mods. I told him about the function of the ELM127 OBDII Bluetooth adapter he put me on hold for about 10 minutes after I went over that with him (I am assuming to talk to whoever is making the decisions there) He came back and said I was till denied. I said well I wanted him to come to the dealer or someone from Hyundai so I could show them what was going on and then they could make a more informed decision. He put me on hold again and came back and said "No we aren't coming out, we have Hyundai Certified Technicians at our dealers that know what they are doing" I told him they had Hyundai Certified parts changers and that they were being done a disservice by this dealer providing them with wrong information. I went back and forth with Cyril for 2 hours and got nowhere. I asked him to talk to his boss, he refused, I asked him for the warranty departments phone number, he said they did not have one, but he would give me their address. I said they do not have a phone number or email, he said no.

I told him I retained and attorney and after that he really clammed up and only offered me the address of the legal department (they also have no phone or email)

I hadn't retained an attorney, only spoke to one for a consult. The lawyer told me the night before that Hyundai is a nightmare to try and get anything covered by warranty, going as far top deny coverage based on the type of oil you are running. She told me people have taken Hyundai to court, but Hyundai will drag it out as long as it takes. She basically said that Hyundai would rather lose customers than cover warranty repairs.

So it's still Wednesday 12/3 and I thank Cyril for wasting my time. Now it's about 1:30PM and I say screw it, I am taking this loaner back. I go to the dealer who tried to charge me a 5 hour diagnostic fee and 5 quarts of oil. I was fit to be tied at that point and the look I gave Rich the service manager made him say "Well as a one time courtesy I can wave this" I told him it would be a one time because I was towing it fixing it and trading it.

So I get it towed out of there to my buddies garage. it was about quitting time, but he said first thing in the AM he would let me know. I gave him the dealers report saying the motor was blown as well.

so 12/4 comes and he texts me at work to let me know the rear main seal is completely pushed out of the motor (my buddy is a man of few words) I asked him if that all I need and he said yes, I asked him if he wanted me to get one in the morning, he said yes. (I was working 8p - 8a now so I was stuck till I got off work)

12/5 - I get off work at 8AM and head to the other local Hyundai Dealer (Auto-land Hyundai, Uniontown PA) They know me there cause I get all my oil filters of of them cause they are closer. I order the seal ($26.00) and it will not be here till Tuesday 12/9. Well fast forward to 12/9, the seal shows up at 4:30PM, I go get it.

12/10 - I drop the seal off at 9:00 AM.... Fast forward to 4:30 PM, my buddy texts me to let me know the car is done. I was amazed, here I thought the motor was blown?
My buddy pressure tested and smoke tested the engine for leaks and there were none. I asked about the oil in the coolant? He told me he drained and flushed it and he found no traces of oil in the coolant (He said he has run into dealers in the past that put wrong things in wrong places etc.. to try and fool people into paying high prices for repairs) Shaun is an honest mechanic, dealers around here take him the tough jobs to fix and figure out. He showed me the coolant that came out of the system and it was a bit dirty, but no oil, he even went as far to add oil to show me how oil looks in coolant to show me the separation. So the car was done and running good, no leaks all cleaned engine compartment and all traces of oil leaked were gone. I thanked Shaun and gave him $400.00 he asked for which I though was a bargain for all he did and the speed of which he got it done.

12/11 - I get up early and pull off all the mods I felt like messing with (Rims, Intake, Catch Can,) and get the car as close to stock as possible with the original parts I saved. Off to trade it in I went.

I am now the proud owner of a Brand New 2014 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X, Loaded to the Hilt. Dealer gave me 17K for the VT and never even looked under the hood.

I am glad to be out of it.

So I knew from the past in working as a service writer that dealers are shady, but IMO Day Hyundai took it to a whole new level, while blaming Hyundai all along. The bad thing is Hyundai stood behind them without even investigating on their own. At any rate though they both lost a customer for life. It's a shame because I really liked the VT and thought it had real potential but it wasn't meant to be. Also the main reason I chose the VT over the WRX was because of the Warranty... Hindsight is 20/20.

I do love my new truck though

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Mer I read this on the other forum:(
This is saddening.
I hope and pray nothing happens to my Veloster so I don't have to deal with stuff like this.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ugh man... OP just reading all that got me pretty worked up at how much of a run around you got. Brutal. It sounds like Hyundai dealers can be bargained with but Hyundai Corporate had a zero tolerance (almost out of ignorance) attitude to mods.

My buddy had the same exact scenario play out for him with his Audi A4. His engine just seized on him one day so he took it to his dealership and they found black sludge had formed in the engine. The dealer was pretty helpful digging up all his maintenance records (which he followed to a T as per Audi's maintenance schedule and always at an Audi dealer) and submitted that documentation along with his engine replacement request. But Corporate Audi still went ahead and denied replacement of the engine, claiming "misuse of an unknown origin" but they were somehow sure it was the owner's fault. They were willing to replace the engine but it was gonna cost him just shy of $10,000 and his warranty will be voided. How'd ya like them apples?? No engine mods on the car, followed all of Audi's schedule maintenances, and still got denied.

Long story-short he ended up getting the replacement in the end under warranty through... well let's just say "less than moral" means lol... but after getting weeks of the ol' run around and having to deal with typical corporate BS he sold the A4 ASAP and never looked back. I don't blame him. Likewise with your situation.

Anyways congrats on your new ride! Hopefully you'll get less trouble with Nissan :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh man... OP just reading all that got me pretty worked up at how much of a run around you got. Brutal. It sounds like Hyundai dealers can be bargained with but Hyundai Corporate had a zero tolerance (almost out of ignorance) attitude to mods.

My buddy had the same exact scenario play out for him with his Audi A4. His engine just seized on him one day so he took it to his dealership and they found black sludge had formed in the engine. The dealer was pretty helpful digging up all his maintenance records (which he followed to a T as per Audi's maintenance schedule and always at an Audi dealer) and submitted that documentation along with his engine replacement request. But Corporate Audi still went ahead and denied replacement of the engine, claiming "misuse of an unknown origin" but they were somehow sure it was the owner's fault. They were willing to replace the engine but it was gonna cost him just shy of $10,000 and his warranty will be voided. How'd ya like them apples?? No engine mods on the car, followed all of Audi's schedule maintenances, and still got denied.

Long story-short he ended up getting the replacement in the end under warranty through... well let's just say "less than moral" means lol... but after getting weeks of the ol' run around and having to deal with typical corporate BS he sold the A4 ASAP and never looked back. I don't blame him. Likewise with your situation.

Anyways congrats on your new ride! Hopefully you'll get less trouble with Nissan :)
Another Reason I would never buy one of those Over-Priced Volkswagen's

I hope no one has a similar experience

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Sorry to see you go agent, it has been great having you here and your participation on this forum. Sounds like a bunch of crap but you did everything you could have, sad that Hyundai wouldn't warrant that <$30 part...Glad you are happy with your new purchase though!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I appreciate everyone here on the forum and the people I have talked to have all been great. I really liked my VT which is what makes the whole thing a big kick in the ass, I was planning on keeping it for a long time.

Guess it wasn't meant to be

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good luck to you, Agent. I am sorry you had so much BS to deal with. We almost had the same outcome with my dealer/Hyundai when I got my now 4th (!) shifter assembly under warranty when I only had the car for 7 mos. It wasn't my fault the dealer (certified Hyundai technicians....LOL) kept ordering and installing the wrong part.. so damn frustrating, I was just about ready to unload it. They finally figured it out, but sooo frustrating.

Anyways, congrats on your new ride & happy trails to you!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
JGunz18
Veloster Forum
The top Hyundai Veloster Forum to discuss your favorite 3 door car including the Veloster Turbo and Veloster N, as well as check out users mods to make the Hyundai Veloster faster!
Full Forum Listing