Veloster Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new member and joined to ask for some perspectives and advice from other veloster owners and mechanics familiar with these vehicles.
I own a 2013 turbo. I drive about 150 miles a day for work, so I have racked up a lot of miles, 225k, to be specific. Nearly all highway miles. Last fall I threw a rod. The turbo was replaced about 100k ago.
Is it worth the cost of replacing the engine/turbo and other related parts given that many miles on the drive train? I tried to find reviews about the tranny but was not really successful at getting anything useful.
Again I love the car, used cars aren’t inexpensive right now, it gets great gas mileage but I would want to get a few paint spot touch ups and the hatch latch needs repair.
Any thoughts are welcome! Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Veloster 1.6
42 Posts
Personally I'd replace the engine, as you say its a good car and if that's the only issue then its somewhat easily fixed. I'd just keep checking scrap yards/facebook/ebay for wrecked Velosters that have working engines that you can just swap straight in.
If you have the room to do it of course. As your in the process of stripping it down you would be able to check any major parts for excessive wear and potentially replace anything that needs doing while the old engine is out.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
if the chassis is in good shape, absolutely worth replacing the engine. the newer model year the better. just realize you will need to use sensors for 13-15 and not 16+ if you get a 16+ motor.

• Helpful
Reactions: misnblu and Al W

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the chassis is in good shape, absolutely worth replacing the engine. the newer model year the better. just realize you will need to use sensors for 13-15 and not 16+ if you get a 16+ motor.
So the 2013 can accept motors from newer models? I am looking at a refurb at the moment.

·
Administrator
4,677 Posts
yes it can. and it doesn't need to come from a VT

Reactions: misnblu and Al W

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
auto or manual? fluid changes work best...

Reactions: nvyseal

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
any 1.6 turbo that looks the same will fit... you can't use the 2g motors though (or atleast nobody has tried it)

other things that change between cars... coilpacks, various sensors and fluid elbows.

• Helpful
Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo MT
45 Posts
Replacing the engine will be cheaper than buying just about any car probably lol. 2013-2016 VTs just under 100k miles are going for about 15-20k at some places lol. I'm dealing with having to replace my engine now as well

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent not so stock 🤫
1,065 Posts
I'm actually surprised no one mentioned to rebuild the engine. 🤔
It would actually be cheaper and when done would be like having a new engine.

Good suggestions here and good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo MT
45 Posts
I'm actually surprised no one mentioned to rebuild the engine. 🤔
It would actually be cheaper and when done would be like having a new engine.

Good suggestions here and good luck with the decision.
Rebuild isn't a bad idea but can end up being more costly and difficult than it might be worth. If the cylinders are scored or too worn, he'd have to take it to a shop to get it bored or sleeved. If it gets bored then he'd probably need larger pistons. It can start to get a bit more tedious than just finding and installing a replacement.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,470 Posts
chances are there is a new window in the block he has.

Reactions: mmedina1545
1 - 14 of 14 Posts