Veloster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been chasing a rattle for the last year, unable to find it. As happens when you look for one problem, you find many others.
This time around, I noticed that the timing cover seems to be seeping oil from the crank pulley seal.
Looking at the quantity of oil and the fact that I don't have any oil stains in my driveway, I imagine it is a very small leak. My engine barely loses any volume of oil between oil changes.
So how critical is this leak, and would you guys venture at it yourselves or would you bring it to a shop?
Thanks

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
Do you feel comfortable doing it yourself?

may as well get the water pump and chain guards too :)

Reactions: Miami Rspec

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, I'm looking of the parts web site, and there are no actual seals ... Do I need to change the whole cover? Chain guards I have no problem doing if the cover is off, but the water pump would involve me doing a coolant flush, when I had one done last summer... that would be a bummer.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
the chain is in oil, chances are it's just the outer cover gasket.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't find the part number for it, it isn't listed on hyundai parts deal... guess I'll call the dealer.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
i am not having much luck finding it either...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found it... 21421-2B030 ... 10$ CAD
I imagine for the cover itself, they use RTV. I've got plenty of that.

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
528 Posts
Chain cover is rtv sealed and critical it's not leaking on these. I dont recommend trying to replace it in the car though from what i was looking at rebuilding my cylinderhead

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Iwent through the official service manual (1200 pages... Pm me if you want a copy), and it's a minimum 4hr job if you have a lift and all the specialized tools ... No way I can do this myself.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,546 Posts
yeah chances are you could clean it up nice now, wait a few more months and check it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts