Veloster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My Veloster is currently at 80k miles, where can I find out the recommended miles for changing it?
TIA

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
what nova said.

HOWEVER it does have a serpentine belt, which should be replaced at 60k :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
My Veloster is currently at 80k miles, where can I find out the recommended miles for changing it?
TIA

The timing chain does indeed need replaced, but not until around 100k miles depending on the type of driving the car got. I think hyundai recommends changing it at 80 or 100k miles. I would at least take it to be inspected. The pulleys and tensioners wear out over time, and will eventually let the chain develop slack.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The timing chain does indeed need replaced, but not until around 100k miles depending on the type of driving the car got. I think hyundai recommends changing it at 80 or 100k miles. I would at least take it to be inspected. The pulleys and tensioners wear out over time, and will eventually let the chain develop slack.
Agreed on the tension and pulley's but not the actual chain unless it actually gets stretched which I'd deem highly unlikely.

My Z24drag car had a timing chain and all I did was change out the nylon tensioner but kept the original chain. 240k miles on the LD9 engine, 3 years drag racing with it, and lots of street racing never claimed the timing chain but the tensioner assemblies were pretty wore out so they were replaced.

Our Hyundai's should be similarly tough on the timing side of things so I wouldn't worry much about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Our Hyundai's should be similarly tough on the timing side of things so I wouldn't worry much about it.
I've oft wondered about the timing belt thing. Being an Olde guy.... I was rather taken aback when they started driving overhead camshafts w belts. Heck, even Crosley had the smarts enough to use castle gears!

But hey.... why NOT use a rubber band? SMH....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sorry you are wrong.
The tension, yes
The chain, no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it's a 2012 Veloster or earlier it has a belt.

No need to keep correcting it. I agree and know they have a chain. ...Thanks. ! 👍😫🙂

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
If it's a 2012 Veloster or earlier it has a belt.
Wow, wrong 2 times in one post. All Veloster engines have a chain. And there is no "earlier" than 2012 Veloster because 2012 was the first model year.

Thanks for playing. Johnny, tell Eagle what his consolation prizes are.

Well, Eagle, you get a years worth of Rice-A-Roni. Yes, Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok! 1st I dont like rice a roni. 🙂😑 BUT I'm totally wrong about the belt thing. BUT 2011 Veloster is real. I know I know model year listed is 2012 however it was beginning of 2011 into S Korea and early 2011 in Canada AND drum roll the reason I have a 2012 is because girl at my leasing office had a 2011. Sorry I will take the hit on all the other stuff and kindly give you back you Rice a roni. LOL. Give me a steak next time. And dont forget to be nice I'm new here.

·
Registered
512 Posts
BUT 2011 Veloster is real.
No, it's not. Just because it was BUILT in 2011 doesn't make it a 2011.

I know I know model year listed is 2012
Correct! MODEL YEAR. There is no 2011 Veloster because it's based on the MODEL YEAR, not the year it was assembled.

The vehicle identification number (VIN), a mandatory serial number for each vehicle which is used in many countries, includes the model year of the vehicle as the 10th digit. The actual date that the vehicle was produced is not part of the VIN, but it is often shown on the manufacturer's build plate.
Show me a Veloster with a "B" in the 10th digit of the VIN and I'll gladly eat crow.

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
yup - assembled in 2011 and sold for 2012 model year.

just like my VT... assembled in 2013 and sold for 2014 model year (with the 2014 upgrades like torque vectoring, better rods, etc) .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts