Veloster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings everyone, I bought manual 2013 VT a few months back (got lemoned), but I love the car only thing is I threw a rod and I’m not looking to rebuild just swap engines, I can’t find a stock engine for less than 4K and that’s out of budget for more than I can sustain as it’s my only car. I was wondering if anybody has info on compatible engines. I found a 1.6L turbo from a 2018 Kona and I was wondering if that would fit or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hyundai made some changes to the engine around 2015 that would affect some peripheral items but the main engine is pretty much identical. However you must understand your turbo engine has lower compression ratio because of the turbo and installing the turbo on a higher compression engine could be very problematic.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,554 Posts
the kona motor would fit, but be cognizant of changes like the coilpacks and sensors and brackets... which may have to be reused from your motor. also maybe the turbo manifold has to be reused.

OP has a VT not a NAV.

Reactions: misnblu and August

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hyundai made some changes to the engine around 2015 that would affect some peripheral items but the main engine is pretty much identical. However you must understand your turbo engine has lower compression ratio because of the turbo and installing the turbo on a higher compression engine could be very problematic.
So I’d need to install a bigger turbo? Any recommendations if that’s the case? I’m looking for the most reliable but cheapest fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also does the engine have to come from a manual transmission because mine is manual or will a non manual engine mount up?

·
Registered
07 WRX, 12 Veloster NA, 71&70 VW Type 3 Fastback, 2011 TDI Sportwagen
529 Posts
No, what he means is you cant use a turbo on a nav engine or a turbo engine without a turbo.

You're looking for a 1.6 hyundai kia motor from approximately 2013-2017 but 2015-2017 engines had small tweaks you may need to pay attention to (aka bracket, sensors etc)

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,554 Posts
the Kona is a 1.6 turbo .

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,554 Posts
i gotcha, i learned something today.. had no idea these came in anything other than 1.6T . it's all you see on the back of them.

looks like there is a large difference in presented engines... there is a 2.0 NA , 1.6 gamma turbo, and a 1.6 smartstream turbo.

OP, you would need the 1.6 gamma turbo engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts