Veloster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a VT. Just worried with all the engine and transmission issues. Is this a big concern. Should I stay away from the automatic and go for the Manual? Does the manual have the same issues and the automatic? Need your expertise on these vehicles.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
manual will be better although 2016 is a fine year for an auto.

·
Super Moderator
4,376 Posts
The Auto transmissions were good trans, however, the DCT transmissions put into 2016 and later had problems. All the manual transmissions were fine. I think RP might have gotten his years mixed up (or I have). At any case, stay away from a DCT transmission

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Auto transmissions were good trans, however, the DCT transmissions put into 2016 and later had problems. All the manual transmissions were fine. I think RP might have gotten his years mixed up (or I have). At any case, stay away from a DCT transmission
Do all the 2016 automatic turbos come DCT?

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
yeah, you know what? i did. the standard auto in 13-15 was great. the dct in 16+ no so much. my bad!

·
Super Moderator
4,376 Posts
Do all the 2016 automatic turbos come DCT?

Yes, anything 2016 and newer came with DCT's and the Auto (slushbox trans w/paddle shift ) were discontinued.

You might look for a 15 with an auto. some good deals out there

·
weekend racer
6,963 Posts
we're talking about turbo models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am looking to buy a VT. Just worried with all the engine and transmission issues. Is this a big concern. Should I stay away from the automatic and go for the Manual? Does the manual have the same issues and the automatic? Need your expertise on these vehicles.

The 2016 and UP DCT's are fine. Like any automatic transmission, they don't like to be abused. I have built and owned many high-performance cars starting back in 1968 and I have to say I prefer the DCT to any prior transmission, standard or automatic, stock or built. Yes, there are isolated incidents, but you can give some people an anvil and they will break it. Nothing made by man is exactly perfect, so take care of your car and it will take care of you. BTW, my first performance car was a '55 Chevy with a Dual Quad 409 with a Muncie Rock-Crusher behind to a Pontiac 4 to 1 rear.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I own a 2013 1.6 Manual and also chose a manual 6 speed for my other car: 2017 Cadillac ATS Coupe. Why? - besides liking to "drive", automatics cost so much more to maintain and repair. If a $50 shift solenoid goes out, it will hundreds of $ just to access it. If you know how to drive a millenial anti-theft device properly, there's no reason that the clutch will last well over 100M miles. If you like to abuse the the gear box, the clutces and gears will be an added expense. Almost 70,000 mile on the Veloster and no issues with the transmission or clutch.👨‍✈️

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a '16 VT 6 speed manual and absolutely love it. I live in a big city with some of the worst traffic in the U.S., but it doesn't phase me at all. The manual is geared such that at 35mph you'll be in 5th gear and getting excellent gas mileage; 23-28mpg in city depending on time sitting at traffic lights. In 6th at 60-75 mph, I can get 31-32 mpg. If you love to shift, definitely get the stick. My other car is a '15 370Z 7-speed auto and I wish I had manual in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
16 VT DCT with no issues at 31K miles. I, too, do not abuse it. It’s my daily driver and at times may need to punch it to maneuver around the highway. Other than that, I drive it nicely.
As for the choice between stick and auto have a lot to do with the driver. I have my Harley Davidson to get the power and manual shift fun. As for my daily driver, I prefer auto just because of ease driving to and from work. My DCT in sport mode using the paddle shifters offers me some fun on open roads. In medium to high traffic, full auto mode is my preference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have to ask which to get, get the automatic.

It's not the right answer, but it's likely the right answer in this situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts