Veloster Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Good news, someone at Tire Rack had no clue how to properly balance the wheels. Between all of them, I was a total of about 26oz off. Shop re-balanced them, and I got to take off to work.

And wow! Feels like I upgraded from a Pinto to a Porsche!!! I found myself at 90mph and not even feeling it when I first got on the freeway. Definitely had to set cruise control to keep my speed in check.

Car was almost completely quiet in comparison to before. I noticed I had my radio volume down about 20% to where I usually have it. Also, at 80mph I would always get a really weird whine I thought was coming from the turbo at 3000rpm. Nope, just the old tires. No pitch changes or anything even when fluctuating at different highway speeds.

Finally, that rear end stutter was completely gone too. There's some specific curves I'd hit where I'd feel that happen every time. This morning, the car felt like it just hugged the road on those rough patches. I can tell a bit of a softer feel when I lean into a hard curve, where the 18's had a bit of a nicer feel. The trade off for my daily drive though is beyond worth it.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend. I love the look of the rims, but we had a lot of rain so my car is pretty dirty again. Gotta make it shine before I show it off. =D

·
weekend racer
7,686 Posts
Ouch !

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got a set of Falkens from Tire Rack already mounted and balanced that were out of balance.

I took the car to Discount Tire and they put them on the balancer for me without removing the wheel weights and showed me that indeed it was out of balance.

I sent the receipt to Tire Rack and they refunded me $100.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The reveal! Also, I love the 17s on this car for where I drive. I came home through a canyon area called Piceance Creek with a lot of windy road. Even with the old rims in the back moving around a bit, I was cruising through so much better than with the old tires. The road is just too rough for the 18s and the smaller sidewalls to feel confident on those curves. Absolutely perfect choice, extremely happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool, it seems like you are satisfied with your purchase. I haven't tried installing a set of Yokohama tires on my Veloster but I've read good reviews about this brand. Currently, I am running a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts