Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been reading these forums a lot and decided it was time to join. I just bought a 2014 VT last November and I absolutely love it. Perfect car for what I was looking for.

I'm gonna be due for some tires soon and was looking at reviews. I have some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ currently and they do handle nicely. However, the ride is a bit rough. I'm doing a lot of freeway commuting and I'm realizing I want a little more comfort and a little less noise. Roads here aren't in very good shape.

What's your thoughts on the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S? Based on reviews, looks like a great commuter tire that also retains a good bit of performance. Noise and comfort seem to be what I'm looking for. I live in western Colorado so while I don't deal with as much snow as other parts of the state, I will have the cold temperatures to deal with. Need to stick with the all season tires.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. =D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't know about those but wanted to chime in that I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my son's Veloster. The tires perform as advertised. I think I found the recommendation for these tires on this site.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
Any major tire provider is going to be fine. Nothing wrong with any of the suggested tires here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know about those but wanted to chime in that I went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 on my son's Veloster. The tires perform as advertised. I think I found the recommendation for these tires on this site.
Saw those too in reviews. Wasn't sure if they would improve on the noise and comfort side. Tire Rack had the same score for both, but I don't know if those scores are as good as they look.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
FWIW if you want comfort you should downsize to 17s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW if you want comfort you should downsize to 17s.
Not an option financially. Just feels like the Michelins lean a bit more towards the raw performance side. Nice for those curvy canyon roads, but I was hoping to balance it out a little bit more for the straight, bumpy parts of the freeway.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
no? usually you can save 20-30 per tire downsizing, and tire rack has some killer wheels around the $100each range. or CL / FB marketplace.

im actually selling a set of 16 inch steelies and snows for like 200 with tpms but i'm in central MA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just need to be able to go to my local Discount Tire and get it taken care of right now. Still trying to sell our house and the commute is not very friendly.

Not sure I want to depart from the 18s, just want to take that noise edge off a little bit. Could partially be that my tires are worn down pretty low too. The stiffer side walls can add to that rougher ride even though they handle really nice.

May be a matter of just trying a new brand, seeing how I like them, and go from there. Gonna definitely go through some tires now with a longer commute. Gonna check out the wheels on tire rack now, got me curious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no? usually you can save 20-30 per tire downsizing, and tire rack has some killer wheels around the $100each range. or CL / FB marketplace.

im actually selling a set of 16 inch steelies and snows for like 200 with tpms but i'm in central MA
Darn, looking into this more and you're really tempting me with the downsizing. Problem with the older 18" stock wheels is that they only have the 7.5" width. Most 17" wheels are the same width so I probably wouldn't notice any loss in handling, while getting a smoother ride. Love these wheels too.

That said, if I got a 1/4" spacer, I could probably go to the 18x8" version of those wheels. Then I would get some pretty nice grip on the curves. Don't know if that would really be worth it for me.

How hard would it be to sell my used rims if I did go the 17" route? They have some scuffs so I'm worried I'd be stuck with them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Saw those too in reviews. Wasn't sure if they would improve on the noise and comfort side. Tire Rack had the same score for both, but I don't know if those scores are as good as they look.
I don't drive the Veloster much, It's my son's car. I can't say that the tires are noisy, in fact I'd say these are pretty quiet tires. but low profile tires make for a bit stiffer ride regardless of the brand IMO. The tread isn't overly aggressive but they handle extremely well in rain and snow. I've had a chance to drive it with the original factory tires and with the Conti's and it's a night and day difference.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
if you're not doing any performance driving the width is going to be a non issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my first update. After long hours of research, more talking, and doing some chatting with the helpful folks at Tire Rack, I'm going with the wheel and tire route. Thanks RPW00Mirage for putting the idea in my head.

I found out that the biggest problem with my 18s was that I could only buy performance tires. For some reason the size wouldn't allow me to have good all-season touring options for my car. It's not to say that I couldn't squeeze a set of 225/40s on the rims, but I might have some rubbing issues with the struts or fenders. Didn't want to risk it.

I ended up getting a set of Platinum Gyro 17" wheels and Yokohama AVID Ascend GT tires. Not only should my daily freeway commutes be a bit smoother, but gas mileage and tire life should both be better than with performance tires. Scheduled to install next Wednesday if shipping is on time.

I'll update next week with some pictures of how it turned out once it's all done. =D

·
Registered
756 Posts
I found out that the biggest problem with my 18s was that I could only buy performance tires. For some reason the size wouldn't allow me to have good all-season touring options for my car.
That's a bunch of crap. There are plenty of Touring and All-seasons available that size.
I have a set of 225/45-18 General Altimax RT43 tires on my 2011 Forte SX hatchback. They are a Grand Touring All-Season tire for $136 each. Great tire that last a long time. They have a UTQG of 700AA I wouldn't consider any tire rated 700 a "performance tire" but they do preform well.

It's not to say that I couldn't squeeze a set of 225/40s on the rims, but I might have some rubbing issues with the struts or fenders. Didn't want to risk it.
Nope, they will fit. 225/40 is only 10mm wider (+5mm on each side) and just 4mm taller (+2 mm on each end) Not even close to rubbing.

I ended up getting a set of ... Yokohama AVID Ascend GT tires.
I used to have a set of those. They were good tires.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
225/40 18 is a fine size. It’s stock on 16+, and the wheel specs did not change

I run 225/45 on my nav 17 wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, it's not a bunch of crap. It's just really hard for the first time researching this to get proper info. The tire shops online and locally all say that the only size that my Veloster will support is the 215/40r18. If you look at Tire Rack for that size, there's only one option for a touring tire. When I specifically asked the search engine if the 225/40r18 would work, it finally showed me another post on this forum where it seems like it works just fine.

And yes, in THAT size, there's a plethora of grand touring options. That very well may have been exactly what I needed, rather than downsizing to 17" rims. I've already ordered them though, so I'm debating just trying them out and seeing if the overall experience fits my driving needs better, or returning them and going with a 225/40r18. Other nice thing about the 17s though is my future tires will be cheaper than the 18s.

So yeah, wish I felt that people were a bit more understanding. Seems like I've gotten trashed pretty hard on all fronts just trying to make the best decision for me and my family, but I guess I learned it all one way or another. =/

·
Registered
756 Posts
So yeah, wish I felt that people were a bit more understanding. Seems like I've gotten trashed pretty hard on all fronts just trying to make the best decision for me and my family, but I guess I learned it all one way or another. =/
Boo hoo. :cry: Did I hurt your little feelings?

All I said was that it's a bunch of crap that you couldn't find a set of 18" touring tires. Nowhere in your post did you say a specific tire size. All you just said, 18" Your exact quote was:
I found out that the biggest problem with my 18s was that I could only buy performance tires. For some reason the size wouldn't allow me to have good all-season touring options for my car.
The only "size" you mentioned was 18" Be more specific and you'll get better answers. We don't read minds here.

The tire shops online and locally all say that the only size that my Veloster will support is the 215/40r18. If you look at Tire Rack for that size, there's only one option for a touring tire.
Most local tire places deal with Camry's and Corolla's. And most of the sporty cars are BWM's. Most ignore the compact sporty cars and have very little selection. In the future I would suggest you go to a forum (like this one) for the car you're buying for and ask actual owners. You will get much better information. We would have told you right away other tire sizes that fit.

Other nice thing about the 17s though is my future tires will be cheaper than the 18s.
Very true. I think you'll be happy with the 17" wheels and tires. Post pics when they get installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know if anyone will see this before tomorrow morning, but worth a try. I just got the new tires and rims installed. Got a lot of good things to say about it eventually. However, as soon as I get over 40mph, I get a horrible vibration. I mean horrible, it's like the entire car goes crazy and it only gets worse the higher the speed goes. I haven't been above 60 because it feels like the car will fall apart (not literally, but you get the point).

I read up on it and one thing I found was something called the stud clip. Is it possible the tire shop missed that and would it be that bad? The other thought is maybe the tires never got balanced. I asked them and they told me that they should be balanced already from the Tire Rack. I told them I was never sure. Appreciate feedback, but regardless I'm going back when the doors open because it doesn't seem safe to dive the car this way.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don't know if anyone will see this before tomorrow morning, but worth a try. I just got the new tires and rims installed. Got a lot of good things to say about it eventually. However, as soon as I get over 40mph, I get a horrible vibration. I mean horrible, it's like the entire car goes crazy and it only gets worse the higher the speed goes. I haven't been above 60 because it feels like the car will fall apart (not literally, but you get the point).

I read up on it and one thing I found was something called the stud clip. Is it possible the tire shop missed that and would it be that bad? The other thought is maybe the tires never got balanced. I asked them and they told me that they should be balanced already from the Tire Rack. I told them I was never sure. Appreciate feedback, but regardless I'm going back when the doors open because it doesn't seem safe to dive the car this way.
Stud clips are used by some car makers to keep the brake rotor on the hub during assembly. However, Hyundai and Kia's don't use them. They actually use screws to attach the rotor to the hub. So I doubt that's your problem.

Tire rack does usually balance the tires but I would definitely go back and have that checked.

Others things to check:
  • all the lug nuts are tight
  • that the new wheels have a large enough center bore to allow them to sit over the axle flange. If not, the wheel can not be mounted properly.
Be careful on the drive back to the tire shop. If the wheels are loose or not mounted properly, you could break a wheel stud or worse, lose a wheel altogether.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stud clips are used by some car makers to keep the brake rotor on the hub during assembly. However, Hyundai and Kia's don't use them. They actually use screws to attach the rotor to the hub. So I doubt that's your problem.

Tire rack does usually balance the tires but I would definitely go back and have that checked.

Others things to check:
  • all the lug nuts are tight
  • that the new wheels have a large enough center bore to allow them to sit over the axle flange. If not, the wheel can not be mounted properly.
Be careful on the drive back to the tire shop. If the wheels are loose or not mounted properly, you could break a wheel stud or worse, lose a wheel altogether.
I already had them recheck the lugs and was standing there when they did. Wheels look flush on the hub so I don't think it would be the axle flange. Tire Rack did specifically say these rims would work on my VT without any modifications so I hope that wouldn't be an issue.

Really hoping it's just a balance issue, be easy to fix.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
I would remove The wheel and just check the hub area and ensure the rotor and wheel mating surface is flat. Then hand tighten the lugs before torquing them in a star pattern.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts