Veloster Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2012 v in January and since then have been trying to unclog the sunroof drains. The leaking is getting worse. There is supposed to be 4 drain holes. 2 in front and 2 in back. I can't locate any holes in the pan it self. Only on the outside of the sunroof. What purpose does this serve? If anyone has located any other drain holes then this could you please post a pick. I have searched the net for information but can't find anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2012 v in January and since then have been trying to unclog the sunroof drains. The leaking is getting worse. There is supposed to be 4 drain holes. 2 in front and 2 in back. I can't locate any holes in the pan it self. Only on the outside of the sunroof. What purpose does this serve? If anyone has located any other drain holes then this could you please post a pick. I have searched the net for information but can't find anything.
I'm working on one with a severe water leak. As far as I can tell there are no drains as other manufacturers have. The whole panoramic roof assembly is bonded in the roof structure the same way your windshield is installed. What appears to be happening is the rust on the sunroof frame work is that bad that has weakened the bond in 2 or 3 spots and water is finding it's way in through the built up rust. It will then drip onto the headliner and spill into the rubber body seal surrounding the door opening and will run down to the sill panel on top of rocker panel to the floor. This all was visually obvious with a water test.
If you have found another reason for your water leak issue, please let me know. I have yet to deal with any repairs concerning hyundai panoramic roof glass in my repair facility so this diagnosis is not 100% proven.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you remove the small trim pieces at the front of the sunroof on each side you'll see the supposed drain spots. It's getting worse and I'm at my wits end. Everytime it rains the car floods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you remove the small trim pieces at the front of the sunroof on each side you'll see the supposed drain spots. It's getting worse and I'm at my wits end. Everytime it rains the car floods.
My customer did not want to spend the $2K to $2.5K to remove glass and fix properly so I told him I would experiment with a sealant where the rusted areas were and see if that was the cause of his water leak. I will let it set up and try another water test in the morning. I will keep you posted with a result.
I have yet to find any drains online or in any service manuals. The sunroof is sealed in like your windshield and drains like it as well, all around the outside edge. It is a very poor design and unless you park your car with the front end pointing up an incline, the water will pool in the front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did seal the edge of the framework for the sunroof. You have to remove the outside soft rubber seal to do it. This seal is double sided taped to the metal so next to impossible to re-tape. I used a Wurth product called Glue and Seal. A tube of windshield urethane would be ideal to use also. When you remove this rubber you can actually see the factory sealant protruding out from between the roof structure and the framework for the panoramic roof and sunroof right on the two front rounded corners. The paint on the sunroof framework is very thin and apparently not as good as the paint on the body panels. If you see rust forming on the black painted steel, the rubber should be very easy to remove in those spots. I removed the front corners and glued them back in place first and left the front middle section attached as to not loose the ability to place the seal back in it's proper placement. Close sunroof and let sit for 12 to 24 hrs. My apologies for not adding some helpful images. If this is of any use to you let me know and I will send you some images of the final repair I did on this vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts