Veloster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen 2. Stock brake pads.

Why does the inner pad ONLY have a shim? The wear doohickey is on this inner pad but not connected to the shim.

Replacement pads from EBC none of the four pads has a shim.

Thoughts?

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
I have seen this on mine, I just use a blob of grease to hold the shim on the new pad.

Reactions: Crispy

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My used shims are scorched beyond belief. Wasn't planning on using them. Should I?

I cleaned them up with a wire wheel. I guess they're usable. Since they piston contacts the inner pad there, I guess it is smart to put them on.

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
i believe they are there to dampen the vibrations between the pad/rotor and caliper.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the EBC rotors and yellowstuff pads on. Used the shim on the inside pad. Put a liberal amount of the orange silicone based brake lube under and on the shim.

After a spirited 15 minute drive where I braked much more than normal they appear to be bedding in fine. No noise anyway.

One odd thing, the rotor slots are backwards of other brands of rotors like StopTech. I know, the vanes inside are all that really matter. I did put the L rotor on the left side and the R rotor on the right side, but I'm going to get tired of everyone telling me my rotors are on backwards.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, StopTech makes their slotted rotors for this car but I cannot find ANY Hawk pads, let alone track pads, for the Veloster.

·
weekend racer
7,427 Posts
some of the reviews are pretty funny. I wonder how many people put that stuff on the rotor LOL

Crispy I wish I had an answer. I would never consider drilled or slotteds for mine. Granted I’m at stock power, but I never considered them on my evo swapped mitsu either, but it had upgraded 2-pots up front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts