Veloster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have any problems come up with this mod?.....any more cel lights? or was that just a coincidence with something else? ....Fluttering?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious as well. I tried this mod, and my check engine light came on. I took it off, and am hoping someone has a clear answer on how this affects my car, and whether or not I should put the mod back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found that once I took off the air filter from the hose, and reset my ECU, the problem went away. I looked on a different forum, velosterturbo.org, and in their DIY BPV to BOV mod guide they have a huge post stating NOT to use the filter on your hose, as it can really damage your engine. CEL is now off, and BOV sounds great.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I'm curious as well. I tried this mod, and my check engine light came on. I took it off, and am hoping someone has a clear answer on how this affects my car, and whether or not I should put the mod back on.
This mod will not cause a CEL unless you did something incorrectly. All you need to do is disconnect the return line that goes to the Intake & cap the hole on the intake with any type of rubber plug that fits. There are zero long term affects. I ran this mod for over 6 months w/o any issues. Being that we have MAP sensors & not MAF sensors, there's no need to recirculate that line. They return that line to the intake from factory because not everybody enjoys the loud woosh sound. Hope this helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did the mod.. sounds good .. check it out.. makes me smile when i shift

·
Registered
114 Posts
Inside sound

·
Registered
4 Posts
my car hasn't been building boost at all with this. definitely putting the hose back onto the jmintake. I just unplugged it, plugged the intake and that was it, but my car will not move now..

·
Registered
4 Posts
figured since their was no MAF I'd be okay but guess not! my last car a spent a lot on for the BOV and a tune, thought I could be cheap but guess not haha.

·
Registered
778 Posts
figured since their was no MAF I'd be okay but guess not! my last car a spent a lot on for the BOV and a tune, thought I could be cheap but guess not haha.
I don't have a turbo but from my understanding when you do this DIY boost doesn't come on as fast as it does when it recirculates back through the system. I could be wrong about this but that's what I understood from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had 3 boosted vehicles, this one doesn't take a while to spool up, it doesn't spool at all. I wasn't able to reach 3000 rpm in traffic it'd barely move. I made it recirculated again and it runs like a charm. when I first unplugged it and capped it ran fine for about a day.. so yeah, even though it doesn't run off a MAF I'd still be curious as to if you're running lean in your cylinders

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tried this yesterday, took only 2 minutes with a cap and ez clamp (Because I'm paranoid lol) on the intake.
Kind of a neat little trick, can hear it most between 2nd-3rd. Beyond that I can't really hear it, even with windows down. Not very loud but kinda fun when you can hear it :D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but consider these two things:

The BPV vents only when pressure is too high for the engine's condition

The BPV vents normally when shifting or letting OFF the gas

With these two factors in mind, it's common sense that where the BPV vents will have zero impact on performance. When shifting the throttle closes, boosting pressure up in the intake system, and the valve opens to relieve this pressure increase that isn't needed, which is recirculated to the intake system purely because auto manufacturers believe that 100% of buyers like a quiet car even with aggressive exterior styling.

Conclusion: This diy mod should generate zero CEL's and zero problems. If doing this mod uncovers an issue, I would bet that there is an issue anyway with your car you never noticed until you tried to drive it hard to hear the woosh.

What I'm curious about is altering the sound. Just removing the hose makes kind of a hum-drum sound imo (and I don't even have a turbo lol), I think the sharp whistle of air over the throttle butterfly you get with an intake sounds better.

Anyone else tried to alter the sound? I would love to know if something like adding a brass 90 elbow changes the pitch or something crazy like the BBQ part guy found.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey all! 2018 Elantra sport owner here. sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was curious if anyone found any long-term negative effects? I did this mod about a year and a half ago for a few days but kind of got scared something would mess up short term or long term. now I'm kind of getting the itch do it again just for the pssssh lol. thx

·
Registered
16 VT
1,024 Posts
I think long term your leaving the BPV exposed something could potentially crawl in there or deteriorate it much faster open to the elements; but I haven't heard much of that happening.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,274 Posts
been running like this for 5 years, no issues. anything that gets in there is going to get blown out the first good boost.

hopefully hyundai has improved the quality of the rubber actuator in the newer models.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts