Veloster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
so I did this a while back and sure you could hear air... if you listened very hard. I wasnt impressed. I was inspired by the duck call video. It got me thinking... If I start to close off the opening it should start to make more noise. So I started experimenting with different things. I stuck copper pipes reduced to 1/4', the air chuck fitting that screws into air tools, kids Kazoo. These were things I had laying around the house, but it didnt do much to help improve the sound. I then came across a part from my natural gas BBQ. Its the fitting that plugs into the gas line. This thing was perfect. I inserted it into the hose and at first it sounded very high pitched like a lazer, or an eagle shreaking. but it was loud!! It got annoying after a while. So I took it to work and started drilling out the opening little by little until I got it "tuned" to a sound that I like.... I want to post a video if the sound. How do you do it?? I dont have a youtube account.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so I did this a while back and sure you could hear air... if you listened very hard. I wasnt impressed. I was inspired by the duck call video. It got me thinking... If I start to close off the opening it should start to make more noise. So I started experimenting with different things. I stuck copper pipes reduced to 1/4', the air chuck fitting that screws into air tools, kids Kazoo. These were things I had laying around the house, but it didnt do much to help improve the sound. I then came across a part from my natural gas BBQ. Its the fitting that plugs into the gas line. This thing was perfect. I inserted it into the hose and at first it sounded very high pitched like a lazer, or an eagle shreaking. but it was loud!! It got annoying after a while. So I took it to work and started drilling out the opening little by little until I got it "tuned" to a sound that I like.... I want to post a video if the sound. How do you do it?? I dont have a youtube account.
You could just register a youtube account and upload the video there, it's free. Other than that a few people also use Photobucket.. there are many free options available to you. I am interested in hearing what you came up with.

·
Registered
302 Posts

LOL. There was talk yesterday on another veloster board about shoving whistles n' stuff in the tube. I was cracking up at the thought of it and most certainly will endup messing around in my garage with different noises lol.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hope this works....

Do you have a picture or a part name or anything for what you used. That sounds really good. I tried playing around with some stuff last night but couldn't get a sound I liked.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do you have a picture or a part name or anything for what you used. That sounds really good. I tried playing around with some stuff last night but couldn't get a sound I liked.
I will take some pics when I get home. Unfortunately I don't have a part number, or know what its called. It was a fitting I found laying around in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
302 Posts
I will take some pics when I get home. Unfortunately I don't have a part number, or know what its called. It was a fitting I found laying around in my garage.

Ahhhh, ok cool. Yeah I'm interested in seeing what it looks like

·
Registered
475 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1358807390.348940.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1358807405.211320.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1358807417.428395.jpg

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure there was a spring inside this part. I removed the guts. This is literally the female end of the natural gas BBQ hose. This part screws into the gas pipe coming from the house.

I thought I saw it at lowes but it came with some hose and other fittings. It was bronze but I had painted it black to blend in... The paint scratched off from me touching it for the picture.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the pics. I actually just jerry rigged something up that I'm going to go test out quick. I'll post a pic and description if it works...if it doesn't I'll pretend I didn't post this. lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
Heres a pic of the part I used to make that sweet sounding BOV sound. Its the part that is standing up in front of the hose. I broke off the top part which opened up the insides which allows the air to flow through.

Sturgis%20103221-1.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
And??

See how I pretended I didn't post it? LOL

Yeah my idea sucked. Totally muffled it, and sucked.

Heres a pic of the part I used to make that sweet sounding BOV sound. Its the part that is standing up in front of the hose. I broke off the top part which opened up the insides which allows the air to flow through.

View attachment 12169
I'll have to take a look by the gas grill section at sears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I unhooked my hose last night to give it a try - nice sound!

I can totally hear it in the car and from outside with just having the hose zip-tied beside the opening (now plugged with a rubber chair bottom :))

I did notice that it releases the air quite frequently and with little revving... I suppose it's because our turbo spools so low in the RPM's...

Even letting off the gas when driving normally in 4th down my street (not revving it up there) I can hear it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
68 Posts
So the hose that you disconnect do you plug that or just the part in the intake?? New to this so just wondering lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You need to plug the intake nipple that the hose is attached to - it's inline after the filter, so not a good idea to leave open as it sucks air in.
You can't plug the hose end after removing it - it expels the air (normally shooting it back into the intake that you disconnected it from).

On another note - driving on the 401 this morning, doing 120 ish km/h (more like 113 with the speedometer inaccuracies) @ 2500-3000 RPMs, steady... when letting off the pedal I can hear the blow-off sound.
It's very sensitive. I can tell every time when I let off the pedal even slightly... does this seem... normal? Mind you it's not as loud as when accelerating from a stop and going through the gears.

Does everyone else who unplugged the hose hear the same thing?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You need to plug the intake nipple that the hose is attached to - it's inline after the filter, so not a good idea to leave open as it sucks air in.
You can't plug the hose end after removing it - it expels the air (normally shooting it back into the intake that you disconnected it from).

On another note - driving on the 401 this morning, doing 120 ish km/h (more like 113 with the speedometer inaccuracies) @ 2500-3000 RPMs, steady... when letting off the pedal I can hear the blow-off sound.
It's very sensitive. I can tell every time when I let off the pedal even slightly... does this seem... normal? Mind you it's not as loud as when accelerating from a stop and going through the gears.

Does everyone else who unplugged the hose hear the same thing?
Yep - just about every lift off the gas results in some noise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So you just jammed it into the hose?

View attachment 12044
View attachment 12045 View attachment 12046

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure there was a spring inside this part. I removed the guts. This is literally the female end of the natural gas BBQ hose. This part screws into the gas pipe coming from the house.

I thought I saw it at lowes but it came with some hose and other fittings. It was bronze but I had painted it black to blend in... The paint scratched off from me touching it for the picture.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
be careful how much you restrict the outlet to change the sound.

If you restrict it to much, it will be detrimental by forcing some air back towards the turbo.. not a HUGE concern but a concern none the less!

Here is mine from my FMIC kit (totally different BOV) this is exactly the sound I was going for.

·
Registered
475 Posts
be careful how much you restrict the outlet to change the sound.

If you restrict it to much, it will be detrimental by forcing some air back towards the turbo.. not a HUGE concern but a concern none the less!
Ya that's a good point turbo socks
That part I stuck in there isn't restrictive at all. There's just a small ridge inside that disrupts the air flow otherwise I can stick my finger in through it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have blocked to re rerought connection and re connected the hose.. but now i have a light on my dash now illuminated... But i doing so i have created a "flutter" effect that which you can get from some BOV's or sequentials. Is the release pressure shooting back and damaging the bpv?

41 - 60 of 105 Posts