Veloster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GOT THE B.O.V SOUND WITH A SIMPLE DIY!!!! EASY!!! AND FREE!!! lol

I had seen TurboSocks mention that if the hose from the BPV was removed it would sound pretty close to a forge BOV. Well, i got bored.... About 20 minutes later, the hose was off and HOLY CRAP its loud!!! Like, exactly like a blow off valve if not a little less loud. All you gotta do is remove the hose from the bpv going to the intake and plug it so nothing gets sucked up and into the engine. Real easy!!! All i gotta say is BE PATIENT!! i did not remove the bumper or anything major, so i had to patiently pull the hose off. I took the air box out along with the little turbo labeled box that is in front of it, then the factory intake hose came off, then with a long pair of needle nose pliers i got to the clamp right at the BPV. I took the clamp off and begun SLOWLY pulling. The second i pulled out of my garage and gave it gas it was magical lol, very loud and clean!!! Now has anyone tried an HKS? i'm curious to know how it fits or if it clears the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Highly doubt the hks would clear. Glad you like the results. Like i said it sounds very similar to the forge..

You could have just cut the hose close to the bypass spacer in much less time :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Now I wonder if running the OEM BPV in a vent to atmosphere mode is bad in any way.

What did you plug the hole in the intake with?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Highly doubt the hks would clear. Glad you like the results. Like i said it sounds very similar to the forge..

You could have just cut the hose close to the bypass spacer in much less time :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
true but if I ever need to bring it to the dealership I can just put the hose back on (sounds a lot easier than it is though lol) and MTD I can't really imagine that it does anything bad, is just like a regular bov, anyone with a Forge having any issues? And I left the hose attached and put a thick bolt on the other end with the clamp tightened down real good, that way its still up in there looking like nothing was messed with. I used to do that to plug heater core hoses when they went bad in my old chevy trucks for hauling lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sort of confused how it doesn't trip a CEL? Maybe I'm missing something. The VW/Audi's and BMW's I've driven/worked with all used a diverter valve system similar to the VT and the ECU knows it should have the air coming back in so when replacing the diverter valve with a BOV or removing hoses, it would run rich and pop a CEL.

·
Registered
242 Posts
no MAFS... thats why

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had seen TurboSocks mention that if the hose from the BPV was removed it would sound pretty close to a forge BOV. Well, i got bored.... About 20 minutes later, the hose was off and HOLY CRAP its loud!!! Like, exactly like a blow off valve if not a little less loud. All you gotta do is remove the hose from the bpv going to the intake and plug it so nothing gets sucked up and into the engine. Real easy!!! All i gotta say is BE PATIENT!! i did not remove the bumper or anything major, so i had to patiently pull the hose off. I took the air box out along with the little turbo labeled box that is in front of it, then the factory intake hose came off, then with a long pair of needle nose pliers i got to the clamp right at the BPV. I took the clamp off and begun SLOWLY pulling. The second i pulled out of my garage and gave it gas it was magical lol, very loud and clean!!! Now has anyone tried an HKS? i'm curious to know how it fits or if it clears the hood.
Can you please post some pics for DIY? I am also very curious to hear what is sounds like.
Excellent post man.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I thought about pics but i was in such a rush to get it done that i never really remembered to do it in the process. I can explain step by step what i did though. All you need is some pliers, phillips screwdriver, 10mm socket and extension, and lots of patience. Couple beers is a plus lol.

-First thing is before you touch anything, make sure you identify what you are removing and working on. Look for the hose that is going to the BPV from the intake (the thicker one right before the air box, NOT the thin one going under the engine cover).

-Then you want to make some room for your hands so start taking some things out of the way.... The main intake hose going to the air box needs to come out, so loosen up the clamp on the intake manifold behind the engine with your handy dandy screwdriver or a 10mm socket and ratchet, and also the one going to the air box. Loosen up the clamps to both smaller hoses attached to it (one going under engine cover, one going to BPV) and take that sucker out. Do not let it touch the ground cause you will lose horsepower!! JUST KIDDING! lol

VERY IMPORTANT, once you remove intake or air box DO NOT STAR THE CAR, you don't want anything getting sucked up in there without a filter!!

-Now the air box. The air box is held on by 3 10mm bolts, 2 on the right and one on the left, u need your extension for this. After removing all of them, you can slowly wiggle it out of place, it sits inside a tube at the bottom right so be patient, should not be too hard to slide out though.

-Now this step is a pain, because i did brake both clips which you can easily buy them at your local car store for maybe 2 bucks, but still, it hurts to hear them crack lol. The box labeled "Turbo" can now come out. The two clips on top are the ones i'm referring to, so be careful, I used a small panel popper or "clip popper" which is nothing but a slightly bent flat head with a little gap in the middle of the edge. Ones those are out just slightly pull up and it should slide right out.

-Now time to identify some more stuff. 3 hoses go in by the the BPV, you got a coolant hose, a pressure hose from the side mount, AND the million dollar hose, the re-circulation one that we are removing (sits on top of the other 2, kinda).

-This is the part where the beer helps... Use a flashlight if you need to, but locate the clamp holding the hose in place, once you do, you will shortly realize you need another beer to tackle this lol. It's not the easiest to reach but i promise you its easier than it seems. Needle nose pliers.... They do wonders. Open them up wide and in they go...Once you open up the clamp just patiently slide it out. Or just cut it if you're not worried about it.

-Once you have the clamp off start slowly pulling, don't get too crazy because you might actually damage something. If you have the same issue i did which was not being able to just "pull it off easily" us a pair of pliers and grab the hose as close to the BPV as you can and use your core support (top of bumper bracket) as lever to SLOWLY pull in and out. I did this like 3 or 4 times to break the hose lose and then this magical "POP" sound hit my ears.... It was off... Now start the car... JUST KIDDING!! lol, you might want to listen to it now because your anxious but remember you have NO FILTER where your engine sucks all that air in, so hold your horses and BE PATIENT.

- Now place everything back in place, including BOTH hoses that go on the intake hose (i know, you might be going "wait, the hose that went to the BPV is not hooked up to anything now" you're right, but you will see where i'm going with this soon)

-After everything went back in place, you can address the random hose now. You now have an open point of air entry that is not filtered, which is that hose from the BPV that we pulled. We need to either block it, or find a small filter for it, I used to work on old Chevys so i did what we did back in the day, stuck a thick bolt about a half inch long on the end of it and clamped it down. The reason why i did it this way and not just taking the hose out and plugging it at the beginning is because now you can somewhat stuff the hose where it originally went and it looks like nothing was messed with ;-)

After checking that everything is back in place and no tools are lose in the engine bay you can NOW start your engine. Rev it up and enjoy :). Cheers!!

If you do not agree with a step i posted or if i used the wrong terminology please feel free to correct me since i am not a certified mechanic by any means, just a backyard one that has been playing on cars for about 12 years now. Hope this helps guys!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I agree, would there be a significant change in the sound that we're aiming for if you don't remove the hose from the BPV, just the intake? Would be a heck of alot easier and much less time consuming. Maybe it'll have a tunnel effect on the sound?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to run to Home Depot today and pick up a small hose clamp and a cap (like the ones used on pvc plumbing.) and cap off the port on the intake and I'll upload a video of how it sounds for ya.

Wish me luck lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys, been super busy with work. But yes, the difference is night and day, of you do not take the hose off the bpv it is not even half off what it sounds like. I tried already

·
Registered
488 Posts
Now I wonder if running the OEM BPV in a vent to atmosphere mode is bad in any way.

What did you plug the hole in the intake with?
I am similarly worried about venting the BPV to the atmosphere at least without a flash (or something) so that the sensor won't take into account the air that it records and expects to be recirculated. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
242 Posts
someone needs to make charge pipe with ability to put aftermarket BOV on it ...now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 105 Posts