Veloster Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Velostar Basic. My steering wheel was making the clacking noise so I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the bushing in the steering column. The clacking stopped but the steering wheel is making a squeaky rubbing sound. Mechanic said it might be a problem with the power steering motor? That doesn't make sense to me since the rubbing is clearly coming from the steering wheel itself. Any opinions?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,831 Posts
could be the clockspring or something pressing up against the back of the wheel?

Reactions: Jacob Elizardo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The steering itself seems to work fine. No drifting while driving (stays straight in lane). No lights on dash re: airbags, etc. Horn works, cruise control works. Nothing other than rubbing, squeaky noise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That part the mechanic replaced is about $2 on amazon and 30min of work. I did my own. Its a star shaped rubber dampening piece that buffers the Power steering motor and the steering wheel gear that it turns. If the old one disintegrated and the "clacking" starred it needs to be fully cleaned out before putting in the new one as it breaks down and tiny bits can get into the gearing.

Jackn up the front end and then with the car off and if you hear the sound clearly inside the car its probably that issue. If the sound only comes while the car is on then it could be the motor i suppose but i would drive it till it fails then replace it or rake it apart and check yourself.

Be sure to disconnect the battery first. Its a soda can shaped motor thats bolted onnunder the dash and can seem complicated to do for a first timer. I did it because the dealer said it would be like $400 for them to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts