Veloster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The steering wheel has a clunk, or click sound when moving the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to fix this issue without taking it to the dealership? I know i have the replace the MDPS rubber coupler. I have seen guides for other hyundai models, but they are slightly different

Anyone know how to lower the steering column to get to the Motor Driven Power Steering? i know there are two 12mm nuts holding it in the front, but the steering column still seems to be held by something else.

Has anyone done the job themselves and can help me?

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I just had this replaced last week and was lucky enough to have extended coverage that paid for this replacement. Go to YouTube and search "veloster clunking steering wheel" and you get a line up. Some tutorials cover just the Veloster while others show similar cars and the replacement. The video "Veloster Steering Wheel Install" probably will address your first question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had this replaced last week and was lucky enough to have extended coverage that paid for this replacement. Go to YouTube and search "veloster clunking steering wheel" and you get a line up. Some tutorials cover just the Veloster while others show similar cars and the replacement. The video "Veloster Steering Wheel Install" probably will address your first question.
Hey, just wanted to give an update, i did it!

Its not too difficult, but the youtube video shown below is exactly how its done on our volester. Its not the exact car, but its identical to what we have.

You will need a 12mm & 14mm socket, also a Torx 27. There are 2 12mm nuts in the front of the steering column and 1 14mm bolt near the back.

Take the 14mm bolt off first, then the 12mm nuts. You need to disconnect all the wire connectors, if not the steering column will not completely fall. Torx 27 on the 3 black colored screws, not the silver ones

·
Registered
368 Posts
Now I know why when I go to alieexpress and do a search for Veloster a bunch of these rubber steering couplers are for sale

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Now I know why when I go to alieexpress and do a search for Veloster a bunch of these rubber steering couplers for sale
Hopefully, like with batteries, the cooler temps will be kinder and gentler to that coupler. 7.5 years with only 23,000 miles, so I'll guess it was the heat and not the mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reported this problem with the steering coupler to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Easy to do. The more complaints they have they will look at doing a recall. I had (2) 2014 Veloster's that had this problem and both were replaced under 35,000 miles. Unfortunately my one Veloster was past the 5 year warranty but only had 33,000 miles on it and I had to pay over $200 to the dealership where I purchased both cars to have it fixed. This shouldn't be happening on these cars at this milage. Hyundai needs to recall the Veloster cars for this problem. I hope everyone else with this problem with the steering coupler will contact NHTSA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reported this problem with the steering coupler to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Easy to do. The more complaints they have they will look at doing a recall. I had (2) 2014 Veloster's that had this problem and both were replaced under 35,000 miles. Unfortunately my one Veloster was past the 5 year warranty but only had 33,000 miles on it and I had to pay over $200 to the dealership where I purchased both cars to have it fixed. This shouldn't be happening on these cars at this milage. Hyundai needs to recall the Veloster cars for this problem. I hope everyone else with this problem with the steering coupler will contact NHTSA.
I too have this issue on my 2013 Veloster and am shocked how the it was left out of the updated service bulletin (was included in the original). I filed a complaint with NHTSA because we shouldnt have to pay for this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, just wanted to give an update, i did it!

Its not too difficult, but the youtube video shown below is exactly how its done on our volester. Its not the exact car, but its identical to what we have.

You will need a 12mm & 14mm socket, also a Torx 27. There are 2 12mm nuts in the front of the steering column and 1 14mm bolt near the back.

Take the 14mm bolt off first, then the 12mm nuts. You need to disconnect all the wire connectors, if not the steering column will not completely fall. Torx 27 on the 3 black colored screws, not the silver ones
Ty for help I’m going to give it a shot clunking driving me crazy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey y’all so I just got my 2013 turbo. And it’s started the popping or clicking this week. It’s not as loud as the videos but it’s getting worse. Is it safe to still drive until I can get it fixed?

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
sure... probably will get tougher to steer overall but shouldn't cause an issue. just be cautious.

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
8,491 Posts
order the part today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts