Veloster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of a new 2019 r spec 4 days ago. I have less than 500 miles on it. I have noticed that on the highway, I constantly have to correct the steering. It's nothing major, just constant twitches. The '17 civic I traded in didnt do this, so I definitely noticed it quickly. Sometimes I can feel the electric steering assist "pulse" as if the power steering was cutting in and out. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a "veloster thing"? Thanks for any input. I'm going to call the dealer and will report back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw a youtube reviewer had a similar comment. My 2012 MINI had this feel and I do notice a very slight need to correct steering on straight roads on my '19 R-Spec with the stock summer Michelins and the current 16" Dunlop Sport Snows. It's different than my '07 Miata which is able to track very accurately with almost no correction. So, my guess is that it very well may be a "Veloster thing".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried with lane assist off and on with no difference. I had an appt to get the alignment checked, only to be informed by the dealer that their alignment machine only has software up to 2018 models. I'll try another dealer, but I'm beginning to think it's just a quirk of the car. I'll update after alignment check. Thx much for responses.

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any update on this heavy steering, non return to center, tramlining issue? I've had my 2019 R-Spec back to the dealer twice and they of course deny any problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have your alignment checked. Ever since I added -1.5 degrees of camber to the front (for racing), the car is more twitchy.

I say have your alignment checked because even from the factory it can be off. I'm dealing with that on my rear. My LR is -2.0, my RR is -1.0. Both are supposed to be -1.5. Both are "technically" within spec, but since they're at the farthest possible extent of spec in opposite ways, I'm not happy about it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Crispy. My '19 R-Spec just requires contstnat attention and does not seem to return to center after minor corrections. I've read that this could be a result of negative caster. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It would have to be way off to have negative caster. I think that spec. is +3.6 to +4.6. I know with my camber adjustments I've upped mine to +5.0 degrees of positive caster.

If the dealer won't do an alignment, take it somewhere and spend the $100. If the alignment is off, take it to the dealer and tell them they need to pay the $100 for not believing you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think that the Veloster has no ability for adjustment to the caster and camber of the front end alignment. Aftermarket devices are available to alter the camber of vehicle front wheels and there is also adjustment for the toe-in of the front end but I don't think caster can be altered at all.

·
weekend racer
6,641 Posts
Right - white line makes a set of control arm bushings that will allow you to manipulate the caster a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys
First post on forum. Owner of a 2015 veloster base manual.

To me this problem sounds like the previous generation of veloster. The steering feels sticky when trying to correct trajectory on a straight road mostly noticeable on highway and with enough pressure applied you can feel the electrical power steering kicking in. This happens with our veloster 2015 base model.
In the first year of owning we tought it was normal, until it seemed to get worst and worst. So I brought it to our dealer.
Lucky for us the dealer didn't fool around too much to find a solution. They already changed the steering column assembly on our veloster two times to solve the problem (under warranty of course). When they change it, I can tell right away when leaving the dealers parking that the steering it so much smoother. It worked both times but it is starting to do it again. It seems like the part is only lasting 8 000 to 15 000 kms before starting to stick again.
I figured this car is doomed with that problem so unfortunately I will be looking to trade it after they change it for a third time and before our warranty ends.

This does not mean you have the same problem, but it sure familiar to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts