Veloster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Veloster DCT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently changed my starter because I would hear clicking noise/ it took longer to start up. (Back story) around January my car would click and start when it would sit for a while; it would click sometimes but not as frequent so I left it alone and it went away until now. Before I had changed out my starter prior to installing the new on, the clicking was bad. Now that I have it replaced, It cranks up perfect but It occasionally clicks, feels like it’s hesitant as if it doesn’t have ground contact. I replaced Starter relay and I checked the starter fuse and nothing. Battery connections are good and clean, battery isn’t old. Connections on starter are good. I don’t know what could be wrong; no grinding noise when starting so I don’t think it’s a worn out flywheel. What could it be? Push start button?? Out of ideas

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
did you use a parts store starter, a reman?

sounds like the old starter was certainly going out but the new one sounds weak already.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i recently changed my starter because I would hear clicking noise/ it took longer to start up. (Back story) around January my car would click and start when it would sit for a while; it would click sometimes but not as frequent so I left it alone and it went away until now. Before I had changed out my starter prior to installing the new on, the clicking was bad. Now that I have it replaced, It cranks up perfect but It occasionally clicks, feels like it’s hesitant as if it doesn’t have ground contact. I replaced Starter relay and I checked the starter fuse and nothing. Battery connections are good and clean, battery isn’t old. Connections on starter are good. I don’t know what could be wrong; no grinding noise when starting so I don’t think it’s a worn out flywheel. What could it be? Push start button?? Out of ideas
did you use a parts store starter, a reman?

sounds like the old starter was certainly going out but the new one sounds weak already.
reman from autozone, maybe faulty starter?? I have warranty though

·
weekend racer
2014 VT manual
9,249 Posts
may be worthwhile to look at the other grounds in the engine bay as well as the starter wiring.. be sure to disconnect the battery before messing with that as you can cause a spark if you ground out the positive.

Reactions: Veloster_Korea

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
may be worthwhile to look at the other grounds in the engine bay as well as the starter wiring.. be sure to disconnect the battery before messing with that as you can cause a spark if you ground out the positive.
Hopefully it’s the starter, gonna go swap it out, kinda weird it cracks up good but next thing it clicks; still cranks it though

·
Registered
2014 & 2022 Veloster-Elantra N Line
49 Posts
reman from autozone, maybe faulty starter?? I have warranty though
Well if possible get one from a dealership. Since you did all the leg work with the electrical and it was found delivering correct voltage and hopefully enough amperage. Starter motors are amp driven more so then voltage driven. OEM parts are mostly always better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same exact symptoms with my Ford Explorer. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the starter. It worked fine for a month or so and started doing the same thing again. I took it back and he said the starter was a bad one and replaced it again. This time it worked fine for about two months and went back to clicking. I finally gave up on their diagnostic ability and followed my own intuition and ordered the starter battery wiring harness took it back to him and had him replaced the old with the new harness. It has been six months and the problems are all gone. It starts up each and every time. There must have been a break in one of the wires in the harness underneath all the outer wrapping that we couldn't see. I know mine is a Ford but wiring harnesses are all the same and we had the same symptoms. Good luck a hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another update: day after I installed the new starter I cracked it and it clicked 3 times to start, I really can’t find out what it is. I started it up several times after it clicked and no other clicks. Just when it sits for a long time I guess but why??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the same exact symptoms with my Ford Explorer. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the starter. It worked fine for a month or so and started doing the same thing again. I took it back and he said the starter was a bad one and replaced it again. This time it worked fine for about two months and went back to clicking. I finally gave up on their diagnostic ability and followed my own intuition and ordered the starter battery wiring harness took it back to him and had him replaced the old with the new harness. It has been six months and the problems are all gone. It starts up each and every time. There must have been a break in one of the wires in the harness underneath all the outer wrapping that we couldn't see. I know mine is a Ford but wiring harnesses are all the same and we had the same symptoms. Good luck a hope this is of some help.
Could be a possibility but I don’t think that’s the problem, the starting was getting worse before I had replaced the starter but now it’s better but still clicks when it sits for a while, I’ll have a check at that battery but I don’t think it’s bad; it’s fairly new

1 - 12 of 12 Posts