Veloster Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall! I'm absolutely beside myself with this one! About 10 days ago, a gorgeous summer night, I went for a drive. I made a stop & as I was leaving decided to open the panoramic sunroof. As it began to open I heard a loud POP & my sunroof shattered all over me & my puppy! Thank God we weren't hurt! After some research, I discovered that there was a lawsuit settled in 2019 regarding this issue & my V was one of the affected. However, the claims deadline was July 25th 2019. They did an extended warranty for 10 years but my car is literally just a few months outside of the extension. $2500 to fix out of pocket. I can't afford this! The entire glass roof of my car is gone! It has been noted as a manufacturer defect. And to make it worse...Hyundai agreed to let owners trade their vehicles for no sunroof models. BUT THEY RESOLD THE DEFECTIVE MODELS WITHOUT WARNING OR ADVISING THE NEW OWNERS THAT THEY WERE PURCHASING A DEFECTIVE VEHICLE!! I know I can't be the only one affected by their negligence! But as of right now, I can't even get my baby back from the dealership! What do I do?

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo MT
45 Posts
That's a tough one, especially if your car is stuck at the dealer already. Might have to look into service payment plans if possible. Don't really see much of a choice here. You could try to pursue it legally I guess but I don't have any advice about that lol. Best of luck!

·
Administrator
4,677 Posts
Have you tried contacting your insurance co?

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo MT
45 Posts
Have you tried contacting your insurance co?
I’d considered it but I don’t want them to total my car. Especially since I got it running again as my daily lol. Plus the whole reason I sucked up water was due to an aftermarket CAI so I imagine that would also be a hassle

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to say this but...

This was part of a MAJOR recall, that lasted MANY years.

Hyundai mailed, called, mailed again, and called me MANY TIMES, even after having my sunroof recall replaced by them.

Unfortunately, you have no case. Because they did their "due diligence" many times over, and for many years.

The question that anyone is going to ask you upon your demands for someone else to pay for this is "why did you not have this fixed during the 5 year recall period?"

To which your answer would be something like: "I didn't know about it! It's not my fault, someone should have told me"

But that's not how things work. They did tell everyone, and they probably even have records of when they did in fact notify you. It was even in the news.

Your gonna have to pay for that one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Went through a company called Sunroof Express and I got new glass installed for $720 or so in under a week. Sadly when my sunroof exploded, the tracks were ruined. This means I have new glass but I can't use the sunroof until I fix the tracks which will be another $800+ fix. Just waiting for my paychecks
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts