Veloster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing my oil change, and while removing the splash shield from the underside, two of the screws broke off and left their screw holes full, both in the core support. I thought at first that the holes were plastic, but when I tried drilling out the leftovers, I ended up heating the screws so much that the metal insert nut melted itself out of the plastic. I will try to replace it (ordered brass insert nuts that I will epoxy into place), but do you guys have any thought as to how to get my second screw out? I tried shooting it liberally with rust penetrator, but no such luck. And I would like to avoid having to melt it the second nut... Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you tried a set of those screw/bolt extractors, from Canadian Tire? One might work in your case.

The last time I removed my bolts, they were rusted and tight as well, I ended up coating them in neversieze when I put them back in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try, thanks. Let you know. Problem is, the screw head is gone, it's just the shank of the screw that's left. I'm skeptical, but desperate enough to spend the $$ for the tool

·
Super Moderator
4,427 Posts
the head doesn't need to be there for this to work

·
weekend racer
7,555 Posts
i would recommend pulling the splash shield and doing it on the bench.

Reactions: Ricketts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part of the screw is actually stuck in the core support itself, so I would have to remove the radiator and everything that comes with that to get the part on the bench... I'll just get the car on the ramps to tap it out. Thanks for the suggestion though

·
weekend racer
7,555 Posts
Oh! I gotcha. I broke bolts there too. Ended up drilling a hole and running a zip tie but when I have more time I’ll check your method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts