Veloster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
0.028 - 0.031 is recommended for turbo plugs. .028 is what I gapped mine at.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Adding another question to this post:

Does anybody know the correct index position for the plugs or is 6 o' clock satisfactory?

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
6 should be fine as it's pointed towards the intake valves, but in all reality, it doesn't matter for these cars. Just torque them to spec and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Now there's some snake oil for you. Basically what they say is because their spark plug ignites earlier, it turns your fuel air mixture into a plasma field. Stick with a highly regarded brand like NGK.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Would you recommend the colder one though? rate 7 instead of 6 for the NGK in the 2013 turbo?
Unless your engine is pinging, there is no reason to go to colder plugs. Plug temperature is how much heat the plug retains. Warmer plugs retain heat while colder plugs send combustion heat into the coolant quicker. Heat on a plug is a good thing. It burns away the deposits on the tip so it doesn't foul. You actually want to run the hottest plug that doesn't cause pre-ignition. The commonly believed advice is to go one step colder for every increase of 75-100 hp. Is your engine making 75-100 hp more than stock? If not, then there is no reason to go to a colder plug.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unless your engine is pinging, there is no reason to go to colder plugs. Plug temperature is how much heat the plug retains. Warmer plugs retain heat while colder plugs send combustion heat into the coolant quicker. Heat on a plug is a good thing. It burns away the deposits on the tip so it doesn't foul. You actually want to run the hottest plug that doesn't cause pre-ignition. The commonly believed advice is to go one step colder for every increase of 75-100 hp. Is your engine making 75-100 hp more than stock? If not, then there is no reason to go to a colder plug.
That's what I did, I'm staying on stock. I'm still interested what Hyundai did to this same engine to have the 2015 and up versions using a colder plug.

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
.028 is the correct gap for turbo .

·
weekend racer
7,660 Posts
That’s cool if it works I’m just saying .028 is optimal and the gap can widen as it degrades.

Reactions: SVTfocusO3
1 - 17 of 17 Posts